Boat Sale Scam

Marshian

Featured Posts

I hope as a matter of course we report these attempts to the police. I'm afraid human nature being what it is we don't. I know it's basically data logging, but. We should do it, if nothing else it's intelligence. I'm just as guilty though, thank my lucky stars and move on.

Auto trader have a way of reporting these matters, at least they did a few years ago when I was looking for a campervan and there was one that just "to good to be true". After a very little bit of research into it realised WHY it was too good to be true and reported it!

If I remember rightly, tps can't do anything about calls from abroad and the MS scams come from India. Best just keep them on the line.

I often do while away the time and keep myself amused, trying to better my record 20 mins of baiting but I got pissed because they kept coming back. The police are now getting involved and I've not had a call for a few days now.

Phil

Auto trader have a way of reporting these matters, at least they did a few years ago when I was looking for a campervan and there was one that just "to good to be true". After a very little bit of research into it realised WHY it was too good to be true and reported it!

We just need to bear in mind that if something appears too good to be true it probably is too good to be true!

Just a thought. I know nothing!

If you are selling an item,however large or small, with contact details in an ad, would it be an idea to discreetly place telephone number in a window, or at least in vision when taking photos? All photos! This would presumably deter scammers and cloners.

Martyn

• Greenie 2

Just for those who think all scam victims are stupid and greedy...

I went to a conference yesterday about dementia (for my work) and there was an excellent presentation from the Trading Standards Board Scams team. Obviously they were there because people with dementia are at increased risk from scammers, but they emphasised that people of all ages and all vulnerabilities are targetted.

One of the things they were keen to emphasise was that scam victims are just that - victims of criminal offences. They are not stupid and greedy, they are often impoverished, trying to claim 'winnings' (or get a bargain) so their family can benefit, or they are very lonely or vulnerable for some reason. JUst 5% of scam victims report it to the police, and scammers are very clever at sharing the details of people who have fallen for them ('suckers' lists), and using a variety of methods to suck someone in.

If you or someone you know does fall for a scam, it's important that we all recognise that the person is a victim of crime, not a fool parted from their money. And if you know someone who is falling prey to scammers, contact the Citizens Advice consumer team, who can refer to the Trading Standards who can help solve it.

Lucy

• Greenie 1

If you or someone you know does fall for a scam, it's important that we all recognise that the person is a victim of crime, not a fool parted from their money.

Lucy

I admire your sentiments, Lucy, but surely the two are not mutually exclusive.

I admire your sentiments, Lucy, but surely the two are not mutually exclusive.

That smacks a bit of victim blaming, in my opinion. Better to educate (kindly) before the event than chastise afterwards :) (I am a bit of a glass-half-full type though..!)

That smacks a bit of victim blaming, in my opinion. Better to educate (kindly) before the event than chastise afterwards smile.png (I am a bit of a glass-half-full type though..!)

Not really: because they were daft they became victims of a crime. Sure, one hopes that they will learn a lesson from the events which befell them, yes.

The person who is to blame for a crime is always the person who commits it, but some people do make it easy for him.

That smacks a bit of victim blaming, in my opinion. Better to educate (kindly) before the event than chastise afterwards smile.png (I am a bit of a glass-half-full type though..!)

Better still to also legislate to make things more difficult for the scammers. As I said before and got shot down Stuff international "agreements", make the people carrying the scam messages jointly responsible so if the scammer can not be identified the website, teleco, mail delivery outfit, newsapaper, magazine picks up the tab. Also make "number withheld" calls facilities only available on license and with a significant fee for commercial organisation.

Suddenly I am sure you would find a great deal more verification of name and address going on and technological solutions being developed. I accept it would need a change in the law to allow the mail to be intercepted and withheld and telephone call monitoring and blocking of overseas calls that originate from known scam locations.

Just for those who think all scam victims are stupid and greedy...

I went to a conference yesterday about dementia (for my work) and there was an excellent presentation from the Trading Standards Board Scams team. Obviously they were there because people with dementia are at increased risk from scammers, but they emphasised that people of all ages and all vulnerabilities are targetted.

One of the things they were keen to emphasise was that scam victims are just that - victims of criminal offences. They are not stupid and greedy, they are often impoverished, trying to claim 'winnings' (or get a bargain) so their family can benefit, or they are very lonely or vulnerable for some reason. JUst 5% of scam victims report it to the police, and scammers are very clever at sharing the details of people who have fallen for them ('suckers' lists), and using a variety of methods to suck someone in.

If you or someone you know does fall for a scam, it's important that we all recognise that the person is a victim of crime, not a fool parted from their money. And if you know someone who is falling prey to scammers, contact the Citizens Advice consumer team, who can refer to the Trading Standards who can help solve it.

Lucy

A greenie for that post Lucy