From 'Wannabe' to 'Gonnabe'!

Marshian

Featured Posts

Hi All

I've lurked on this site quite often, and learned a great deal by doing so - thanks for thatsmile.png. Not registered or posted before, 'cos I thought that too many 'wannabes' would devalue the forum. My circumstances have now allowed me to get serious, so I'm actively in pursuit of a narrowboat (or, as we'd say around my way, narrerbote).

I'm after a small starter boat, 35' to 40' range (but maybe up to 45'?). Smaller suits because I've no experience of narrowboats, and I'll be mainly solo. It's for leisure use, hopefully long-term during the season. I've read the views that new enthusiasts can quickly 'outgrow' a smaller n/b, but I'll deal with that as and when...

I do have some experience of boats and canals. I've had a couple of small outboard cruisers - one on the Broads in the 80s, and one on the T&M in the 90s. The first lock I had to pass en route to the Trent was Stenson, which I gather is one of the deeper ones.

I have a clear idea about keeping and using my n/b, but I'll call a halt to this missive here - you don't want to read an essay! I came across a scam whilst looking at sale ads, which I'll post in General Boating. Apart from that, I'll look forward to chatting with you soonsmile.png

Cheers,

Chris

Cheers Heffalump cheers.gif Yes, I'm trying to temper excitement with a bit of common sense. I paid a little attention in the 'not being too stupid' lessons! Here's my post about the scam: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=79389

I have formulated my boating strategy (if I can put it in those terms). First, buy the right boat. Then, keep it on the Middle Levels, 'cos:

No need to license the boat out of season

Cheaper moorings than the main system - London moorings are too expensive, and the plan is to get out of the city!

I'm in NE London, so quick access to the M11 gets me to and from the boat

I can enjoy cruising the Middle levels early and late in the season, and get onto the main system the rest of the time

I'll keep you posted on the boat hunt - watch this space!

I'm after a small starter boat, 35' to 40' range (but maybe up to 45'?). Smaller suits because I've no experience of narrowboats, and I'll be mainly solo. It's for leisure use, hopefully long-term during the season. I've read the views that new enthusiasts can quickly 'outgrow' a smaller n/b, but I'll deal with that as and when...

Hi Chris, welcome along etc and good luck in your search. If it's of any help to you, 40' is generally considered to be about the minimum length for a boat which has a proper bed in its own cabin, rather than a make-up or sofa bed which, while perfectly comfortable tend to become a pain to have to make up and unmake every day. Best thing for now is to look at every boat you can on Apolloduck until you work out what's right for you.

Edited by Southern Star

First, buy the right boat. Then, keep it on the Middle Levels, 'cos:

No need to license the boat out of season

Cheaper moorings than the main system - London moorings are too expensive, and the plan is to get out of the city!

I'm in NE London, so quick access to the M11 gets me to and from the boat

I can enjoy cruising the Middle levels early and late in the season, and get onto the main system the rest of the time

Yes, good plan - I live on the Middle Levels and there's no licence fee. But have you found a mooring? There are not many marinas around here and, unless you know people locally, you may find it hard to get a non-marina mooring.

Hi SS, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, a permanent bed is high on my list of priorities - that's a leftover from my cruiser days. Looked at quite a few boats thus far, with more in the offing. Been as far as Staffs and Wilts, and various points in-between. There's a lot of boats for sale out there...

Athy, ta for the heads-up about finding a mooring. Oddly enough, I have found one, and it's thanks to you! A search on here for 'Middle Level moorings' turned-up a few results, including a post from you about one by your local pub. I thought it was worth a phone call, and spoke to Duncan. The mooring's available, and he's keeping it for me. A long shot, but it worked-out!

So, many thanks for that, m8. If time and distance allow, I'll move the boat I buy to the mooring before the winter closures start. If not, I'll probably move it by road to (I expect) Fox's, or another nearby marina, and go onto the mooring from there. I hope to be your neighbour soon!

Cheers,

Chris

As someone whose own starter boat was a 24-footer used for holidays with 2, 3 or even 4 people on board, I really wouldn't be too worried about that! It would be different if you were planning to live aboard, but while you're out cruising you may well find you spend very little time actually inside your boat (rather than steering it, visiting the pub, exploring the local area, etc.) and hence don't need anything more than the basics of somewhere to sleep, wash, cook and sit.

I can see the appeal of a fixed bed (which I'm sure I've seen in boats of 35ft or even shorter), but you might have options even there depending on how specific boats are planned. For instance, my old boat had a make-up double plus a fixed single berth/seat, so if I'd been on my own I'd have had the option of either leaving the double made up and using the single for seating, or else using the single berth as my bed.

There's a lot to be said for a smaller boat - all else being equal, they're cheaper to buy, licence, moor and maintain, easier for one person to handle, easier to find a space for while out cruising etc. Obviously you need to choose the boat that's right for you, but I just thought I'd offer that perspective and encourage you to at least look at some boats in the sub-35ft bracket before ruling them out - you may be surprised how much accommodation they manage to squeeze in.

Athy, ta for the heads-up about finding a mooring. Oddly enough, I have found one, and it's thanks to you! A search on here for 'Middle Level moorings' turned-up a few results, including a post from you about one by your local pub. I thought it was worth a phone call, and spoke to Duncan. The mooring's available, and he's keeping it for me. A long shot, but it worked-out!

Cheers,

Chris

Pleased to be of assistance! Invoice is in the post.

Duncan and Lesley who run The Globe have occasionally had permanent moorers on their landing stage before. At one time there was a "widebeam narrowboat" there which, as the mooring is adjacent to a bridge, made for some interesting navigation, especially if a broadbeam yoghurt pot was trying to get through

Hi Magictime

Thanks for your input. My main criterion for the boat's accommodation is 3 or more berths, with at least a fixed single. The 'fixed' single could be, eg a make-up dinette that can be left as a berth. A make-up double in the saloon will accommodate friends/family, who come for a free holiday, and get press-ganged as galley slaves and paddle winders!

Other 'essentials' are shower and fridge. When you've worked through a flight of locks on a hot July day, is a shower a luxury? I don't think so! On that same hot day, perishables need to be in a fridge. Where are the hot days, you might ask, but that's another subject... The interior might have to be revised to fit these criteria, which is fine, but it needs to be within budget. The >34' paramater isn't rigid, and I'm happy to look at smaller boats which fit the bill, such as this example: http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/find-a-boat/ArtMID/417/ArticleID/74/Tail-End-Charlie

Oh yes, the other major criterion is that the engine should be about right for the boat, neither under powered nor under used. Does a 35'er need a BMC 1.8? I think not, but they're out there, like this one: http://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm_9130_cyclone_chloe/ Water skiing, anyone?

Athy - yes, I was well pleased at finding a mooring. I'd expected to pay marina rates for the winter, so a good result smile.pngGot your invoice, thanks. Cheque's in the postwink.png. There's definitely a pint with your name on it, m8. I expect I will have to tie-up with a bit of care, to ensure the bridge is passable. (Not visited the mooring yet - had a look around on Google). My plan to moor on the Middle Levels was influential in choosing my user name!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Marshian

My main criterion for the boat's accommodation is 3 or more berths, with at least a fixed single. The 'fixed' single could be, eg a make-up dinette that can be left as a berth. A make-up double in the saloon will accommodate friends/family, who come for a free holiday, and get press-ganged as galley slaves and paddle winders!

Other 'essentials' are shower and fridge.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something considerably smaller than 40ft that ticks all those boxes. Our boat had the shower, make-up double and fixed single, although it did lack the fridge (we used a good cool box instead to save on electricity). On the other hand, I won't deny it was a bit of squeeze in the morning and evening (i.e. before and after cruising) when we had more than two people on board.

Best of luck with your search anyway!

I have a boat. This one: http://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9238-omega/ Survey sorted, price agreed, so now the fun starts! I'm going to have a demo (sea trial?) at the weekend, complete the purchase next week, then move it to my mooring. Boat's at Sawley, mooring (as above) is in Upwell, so baptism by fire! I'm arranging some boat handling training for when I set off, then down the GU and the Nene. Main caveat is to get there before the stoppages start. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Chris

I have a boat. This one: http://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9238-omega/ Survey sorted, price agreed, so now the fun starts! I'm going to have a demo (sea trial?) at the weekend, complete the purchase next week, then move it to my mooring. Boat's at Sawley, mooring (as above) is in Upwell, so baptism by fire! I'm arranging some boat handling training for when I set off, then down the GU and the Nene. Main caveat is to get there before the stoppages start. Wish me luck!

Nice looking boat, reasonably priced, and Springers have stood the test of time. The only warning I'd give is to pay very close attention to what the surveyor says about the quality of the overplating.

Thanks Sea Dog!

Southern Star - thanks for your advice. The marina was just giving-out 'it's been overplated', so I pressed for more. Seller advised them (by phone, whilst I was there) that it was done by a well regarded boat steel works in Shardlow (didn't catch the name - any ideas?). The boat was re-launched on completion, and tested. A pinhole leak was discovered, so the boat was taken back out, and re-welded to cure it. Surveyor states '...work appears to have been competently carried out'. Makes me reasonably confident about the overplating. My slight concern is about the SR2. If it's power was matched to the original boat, how will it cope with the extra weight? I'll find that out at the demo.

Cheers,

Chris

PS - didn't pay the asking price!

Edited by Marshian

Good luck! It's a nice looking little boat at what looks like a very reasonable price. I'd expect it to hold its value pretty well too; I get the impression that prices have pretty much bottomed out on these old Springers, which are always in demand as starter/budget boats. Enjoy!

A Springer with a Lister! Good combination. I think she's had a new top judging by the photos, if she's really 1978 the top would be peaked rather than curved.

Coming soon to a mooring near me, I shall come and have a look!

SR2s have powered bigger boats than that, I'm no expert but I would expect the power to be sufficient.

My slight concern is about the SR2. If it's power was matched to the original boat, how will it cope with the extra weight? I'll find that out at the demo.

If you remove some ballast to compensate for the weight of the overplating the boat will end up at the same weight as before and the same depth in the water, so it becomes a non-issue.

Coming soon to a mooring near me, I shall come and have a look!

Please do, plus have that pint I owe you in the Globe! (Other pubs are available).

Thanks all. Your positive remarks are very encouraging. I'll know more after the demo run on Saturday. It's just a half hour potter up and down the river, but it's more than I've had so far. A full report will follow!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks John. Went for the 'demo' yesterday. Zig-zagged down the Trent to the motorway bridge and back. London to Sawley return for a few minutes on the river seemed slightly disproportionatehuh.png. Engine seems well matched to the boat, progressing fine against the slight current at fairly low revs. Had time for good look round the boat, and a browse in the chandlery, in a faintly bewildered manner. I'm sure it will all be clear in time...

Plan now is to head back to Sawley on Thurs with a boot full of clutter - bedding, household stuff and the like - to 'move in'. Then see if I need any boating stuff from the marina - nappy pins? Anyway, on Friday, a trainer will meet me there, and we'll head-off down the Soar whilst he shows me absolutely everything I need to know about narrowboat handling in a daysmile.png. A friend's coming with me for the first couple of days, and after that, I'm heading down to the mooring on me jack. Start as you mean to continue, I say...

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Chris

Then see if I need any boating stuff from the marina - nappy pins?

Yes, good idea, very useful where there's Armco along the bank, but I am not sure that you'll see much of that on rivers.

Mrs. Athy and I call them "grommets". Neither of us knows their correct name.

Yes, good idea, very useful where there's Armco along the bank, but I am not sure that you'll see much of that on rivers.

Mrs. Athy and I call them "grommets". Neither of us knows their correct name.

I've always known them as piling hooks but Midland Chandlers call them "Mooring Hooks Safety Pins."

AS-039_DetailMain.jpg

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/mooring-hook-safety-pin-walsh?productID=61a45e15-1421-47a7-abd9-5b69b62c0037&catalogueLevelItemID=e4cbe6bd-9deb-49e3-b562-43f6d958e7d0

Or if it's one of these:

AP-026_DetailMain.jpg

An Armco Hook:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/armco-hook-galv?productID=53ae0959-bebb-4d65-be97-f7b63b4a6755&catalogueLevelItemID=e4cbe6bd-9deb-49e3-b562-43f6d958e7d0

Edited by Ray T