Cheshire Ring in a week

FiFiW

Featured Posts

Hi all, we are doing the Cheshire Ring next Whit probably from Acton Bridge in a Black Prince hire boat. Having been brought up holidaying on dad's boat I'm very experienced with boating, so I have no concerns about the route. We are travelling with another family and the aim is to be able to moor up near a pub as many nights as possible to avoid cooking - I've never boated this way so I need to come up with a workable plan ie getting the mileage in and finding a pub.

When we did the Stourport Ring a few years ago any stretch of canal with a pub anywhere close to the canal was completely rammed with boats moored up well before 5pm and the only time we could get a pub meal was a day when we moored up at 3pm. Is this the same for Cheshire canals as it will be school holidays too? The shortage of moorings really put my husband off last time as we sometimes had to push on for much longer than we wanted to, just to find a patch of bank clear and deep enough to pull in at. I really want this to be a positive experience for everyone, particularly my husband.

I imagine there is probably a pub guide to this popular ring somewhere on the web but I would welcome any advice. Any pubs advice would be welcome too, more about the food than the beer (well for me anyway!).

I'm feeling the pressure already!

thanks

Although I've only done part of the Cheshire Ring, on the bits I have done moorings near pubs or other amenities do seem to fill up very early, as they seem to everywhere else on the cut. Although I believe the Cheshire Ring is easily do-able in a week, it will involve fairly long days. It might be easier to find places to moor where the pub is a 10 minute walk away, rather than being canalside. A Pearson's guide is the thing to help you with the planning of this, I'd say, other guides are available.

"Push on much longer than we wanted to"

" I'm feeling the pressure already"

Why?

Plan an out and back trip allowing early stops at the pubs and a chance to perhaps walk to local villages or just chill on deck with a beer. Each to their own of course for a holiday but you sound as though your going to dread it when it should be eagerly awaited with joy.

Plan an out and back trip allowing early stops at the pubs and a chance to perhaps walk to local villages or just chill on deck with a beer. Each to their own of course for a holiday but you sound as though your going to dread it when it should be eagerly awaited with joy.

I agree with this. When I was in the planning stages for buying a boat we hired one for a week, from Anderton, and we originally intended to do the Cheshire Ring. Following advice we received on CWDF we changed that to an out-and-back trip to Chester and I'm really glad we did as we weren't under any time pressure at all, didn't have to keep plugging away at it when it rained, and got to do plenty of other things rather than chasing the miles every day.

Hi thanks

David thanks for the idealistic reply but on our last holiday this simply was not possible as there was no end of the line of the boats as the towpath became too unsafe to walk to the pub after a certain point. It's a bit daft in my opinion to insinuate that a boater is too lazy to walk to the pub isn't it? Given the energetic nature of the holiday, but to clarify walking is not an issue.

Thanks Val don't read too much into my comments I'm simply looking for advice as to the state of the moorings, pubs etc. as I'm the experienced boater its expected of me to come up with the planning and my comment about pressure was light hearted, as if there was a chance I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't book it.

Ha I'm from Chester so won't be doing that! I think the plan is to do a couple of long days cruising eat and drink onboard and moor up early the other days near a pub if possible. I've well over 20 years boating experience so know the canal network like the back of my hand but not particularly pubs and rings weren't really our thing back then, it was IWA rallies and to and from places. The ring is what they want so that's what I'm looking into.

Edited by FiFiW

Hi thanks

David thanks for the idealistic reply but on our last holiday this simply was not possible as there was no end of the line of the boats as the towpath became too unsafe to walk to the pub after a certain point. It's a bit daft in my opinion to insinuate that a boater is too lazy to walk to the pub isn't it? Given the energetic nature of the holiday, but to clarify walking is not an issue.

Thanks Val don't read too much into my comments I'm simply looking for advice as to the state of the moorings, pubs etc. as I'm the experienced boater its expected of me to come up with the planning and my comment about pressure was light hearted, as if there was a chance I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't book it.

Folk on here can tell you lots about pubs and moorings but they can only guess that the spaces might be full if you arrive late.

But plan it as best you can and hopefully it will work out. Enjoy the race.....sorry holiday.

Idealistic? Just practical. I have done it several times. I can recall one evening arriving late at Kinver and having to boat a least a mile past the pub to find a mooring. And on another occasion we moored just through the bridge from the Globe at Linslade, close to the pub but about 6 foot out from the bank with the plank spanning a reed bed.

Some boaters seem to have the attitude that you can only moor on some sort of designated mooring where you can get the boat right into the side. I was just pointing out that there is an alternative.

Idealistic? Just practical. I have done it several times. I can recall one evening arriving late at Kinver and having to boat a least a mile past the pub to find a mooring. And on another occasion we moored just through the bridge from the Globe at Linslade, close to the pub but about 6 foot out from the bank with the plank spanning a reed bed.

Some boaters seem to have the attitude that you can only moor on some sort of designated mooring where you can get the boat right into the side. I was just pointing out that there is an alternative.

Ok I get that but do you not think I know what a plank is for? When I plan to eat out I want to eat out, but if the tow path is missing or canal so shallow that a boat couldn't pass you as you would be that far out then plan b is sadly needed.

Up until I restarted boating with my family in 2007 it had been a number of years since I had last boated and having to do the Stourport ring because the Severn was flooded was a real eye opener as to how much moorings and towpaths on the canals we navigated had deteriorated, combined with a lack of dredging. Hopefully things have improved so this is what I was trying to gauge.

Hi Ian, that's really helpful thank you! any recommendations pub wise?

I don't know why some feel the need to sneer at and judge other people's choices then say each to their own?!

For beer we usually do the following

Middlewich, the kings lock, also decent food

Wheelock or thurlwood (royal oak)

Kidsgrove, the blue bell

Congleton, the queens near the station

Macclesfield, the wharf

Marple if you like robinsons

Bugsworth, the navigation

Manchester there are loads

Dunham, the old number three

Lymm, the saddlers or the brewers

For beer we usually do the following

Middlewich, the kings lock, also decent food

Wheelock or thurlwood (royal oak)

Kidsgrove, the blue bell

Congleton, the queens near the station

Macclesfield, the wharf

Marple if you like robinsons

Bugsworth, the navigation

Manchester there are loads

Dunham, the old number three

Lymm, the saddlers or the brewers

Same at Middlewich and Kidsgrove -- Blue Bell is a fantastic pub but no food.

The Vale at Bollington, excellent for both

Ditto the Navigation at Bugsworth

Holt's boozer with cheap beer, the Chapel House at Dukinfield

Knott Bar in Manchester (Castlefield)

We did the Cheshire Ring last week which included the Peak Forest as well (Bugsworth). We did it all in a week with even a few hours to spare on some days, but be mindful of the potential hold ups.

Going clockwise from Preston Brook here are a few suggestions.

In Manchester you can moor up at Thomas Telford Basin and have access into the city. Or at the moorings in Piccadilly Basin, but beware of all the geese feces! We stopped here at lunchtime fr an hour and the basins were empty

The Ring O'Bells at Marple Junction had a lovely carvery spread on when we popped in after doing the marple flight, has a good selection of beers and a nice beer garden.

The Navigation Inn in Bugsworth at the end of the Peak Forest (if you will add that to your trip). Their lamb chops special was to die for!

If you can, moor up at Bollington Aqueduct, amazing views, with direct access to the town below. Didn't eat here but had a great time in their pubs.

Bluebell in Kidsgrove is great, but you could moor up near the Red Bull, and walk up the hill (Congleton Road - 10 mins walk) to the pub opposite the fish and chip shop. Nice pub with 2 darts boards and a pool table. Didn't try their food as we went to the fish and chip shop after a pint and it was very very nice. Good convenience store next door too.

Middlewich - King's Lock, small pub and need to book a table in advance but food is amazing. We ate in there then walked along the canal to the town and tried out the Boar's Head. Has a god range of beers, Pool room and a big sports screen. The Kindleton next door looks nice and upmarket. We passed by the Big Lock Pub which looks good from the outside but havent been in it. A bonus is a park with a few swings a few metres along the cut which you can moor at.

There are mnay more pubs along the way which we didnt really stop at!

We did The Cheshire Ring this year, though we did have an extended stop at Red Bull so we could get the bus to Hanley to visit The Coachmakers Arms. Admittedly, Hanley is not really on (..or actually anywhere near..) the Cheshire Ring, but we like the pub. I would echo what IanD about The Blue Bell being a cracking pub, and if you need food, The Red Bull (by lock 43) is only a 5-10 min walk along the cut from The Blue Bell. Follow the Bona Boaters link below to see where we went. (2015 trip Cheshire Ring Plus)

Edited by Pete of Ebor

We are doing the Cheshire Ring presently; we started in Whaley Bridge and went via Stalybridge - now that's a lovely canal and the locks are good.

We ate at the Big Lock Pub and it was reasonable value for money. We have taken slightly longer than a week through because we didn't fancy doing Ashton and Rochdale in the same day. On the whole, I would say I have enjoyed doing it anticlockwise, certainly it seemed easier.

We are doing the Cheshire Ring presently; we started in Whaley Bridge and went via Stalybridge - now that's a lovely canal and the locks are good.

We ate at the Big Lock Pub and it was reasonable value for money. We have taken slightly longer than a week through because we didn't fancy doing Ashton and Rochdale in the same day. On the whole, I would say I have enjoyed doing it anticlockwise, certainly it seemed easier.

Where do you intend to moor up between the Rochdale and Ashton Flights? I would suggest the TT Basin as the Piccadilly Basin really does look worse for the wear

Where do you intend to moor up between the Rochdale and Ashton Flights? I would suggest the TT Basin as the Piccadilly Basin really does look worse for the wear

Moor at TT Basin, we moored on the offside of Piccadilly Basin, which was fine for us as we didn't go out. Although, if you have a crew and do all 27 in a day; Castlefield Basin is lovely, visit MOSI and the Roman ruins. Stop next to Asda on the Ashton Flight to stock up on supplies. We have found some different places to moor and of course Hasall and Nb Alton, the Coalboats, offer fabulous service.

"Push on much longer than we wanted to"

" I'm feeling the pressure already"

Why?

That's the key in this. I did it in a week this time last year and it did involve long days with a bit more pressure than a leisurely cruise would have had, but I loved every minute of it and still managed some detours: went up to Bugsworth, up the first lock on the HNC and also to Boothstown. Some people prefer shorter days with exploring, others prefer longer days to cover as much canal as possible...