Finding a boat builder

faybijou

Featured Posts

Do seriously consider a good newish second hand boat. It will leave you some cash for changes or work required.

That said, if you get stuck into the new boat side, and need any independent professional advice, planning, specifications etc, I am available in the midlands, to help. I had my own boat building business, have plenty of experience, and am independent of any businesses now. Also a liveaboard for some 12 years. I understand what works for different needs.

As that is a way I earn my living, I obviously need to charge, but I'm not super expensive!

Pm me if I can be of help.

• Greenie 1

If you decide to go the new build route and want a company that's absolutely as safe as houses, look at Cole Craft - owned by the Cole family for at least 30 years and still thriving, building mainly "mid-range" boats. I think I'm right in saying that they will provide anything from a bare steel shell to a fully fitted craft.

Edited by Athy

Everything comes down to money in the end. Norton Canes, Braidbar etc produce lovely boats but they ain't cheap. Decide your budget and spend it wisely but cheap boats will always be cheap and a good quality used boat would often make a better buy.

As a former boat mag editor and boat reviewer I'd say it would be well worth your while having some private conversations with Ally. Her firm made lovely boats in a variety of styles and good prices - and didn't go bust. She would give good advice.

Just to add another name that has not been mentioned, Russ Hubble Narrowboats.

Don't think like a lot of people that they only make narrow beam Dutch barges because that don't, we are in the process of commissioning then to build a live aboard cruiser stern.

Long lead time but in our option well worth the wait

Nigel

Having nothing better to do at the moment I did a bit of googling and found an anecdote regarding JD Narrowboats, the gist of it being someone put a lot of time, effort and money into having a boat built to their specification which they sold on within a year. I don't see this an any reflection on JD Narrowboats and it doesn't give much of an insight into the company but it's interesting nonetheless. Those of us with a bit of experience can guess what happened.

I reckon a lot of new boats are commissioned by folk with little or no experience of canal boating, maybe thinking that their enjoyment will be proportionate to the amount of money invested. When the reality dawns ie that narrowboating can be physically demanding, stressful, frustrating and at times downright depressing, disillusionment isn't far away.

To compound the issue, buying a new boat almost guarantees a loss on resale. OTOH buy a cheap boat and sell after a year or two you stand a chance of getting your money back. More importantly you have what money can't buy, experence.

• Greenie 1

Whatever you buy, it will cost. As said above, boating requires effort, I have never regretted owning one even with having to buy a new engine, refresh electrics, and then all the other regular jobs to update/enjoy. Boating has never caused depression mainly because I bought with my eyes wide open, knowing the engine was knackered, knowing the costs to maintain etc. When we sell our business and I leave work and retire we will sell up and live on the boat in the summer and rent/live in France/Spain in the winter. I suppose I am trying to say, albeit badly, you must make life changes with all the knowledge you can garner from places like this. Possibly, the best forum I know; from dinghies to punctuation, class!

Edited by NB Lola

When the reality dawns ie that narrowboating can be physically demanding, stressful, frustrating and at times downright depressing, that a completely dysfunctional business is now in control of almost every aspect of your life disillusionment isn't far away, is this why boat licence numbers are down & so many people are leaving the canals ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

is this why boat licence numbers are down & so many people are leaving the canals ?

Are they and are they? That's the first I've heard of it (and it).

Yes and Yes.

C&RT, after years of hypothetical licence increase have finally published figures that show that licence numbers are decreasing year on year.

There have been several forumites that have this year moved off the canals, yet alone the hundreds (C&RT numbers) that we do not know about

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8023-over-3000-less-boats

FROM a high of a recorded 35,241 12 months licenced boats just a few years ago, Canal & River Trust report that there were only 32,018 licenced boats on the 31st March last year, writes Allan Richards.

It was last year that narrowboatworld exposed the decline in the number of boats on Canal & River Trust ((CaRT) waterways. From the number of 35,241 boats with a 12 month licence just a few years ago, the figure has dropped by 9%. According to CaRT's last annual report it had just 32,018 boats with a 12 month licence as at 31 March 2014.

Alarming drop

It would have been best for CaRT to come clean about the alarming drop in boat numbers and perhaps provide an explanation in their annual report. Instead it claimed that boat numbers were up by 0.4%!

In an attempt to prevent the Trust from fudging the figures again this year a request was made for the number of boats with a 12 month licence at 31st March 2015.

Quick reply

In what must be something of a record, the Trust replied within hours. Unfortunately, the figure provided, 26,917, was not what was asked for. It only relates to private boats and does not include business boats.

The Trust has been asked to provide the correct figure.

Less than 30,000?

When there were 35,241 craft on CaRT's waterways, the vast majority of them were private. Only 2,374 had business licences.

As such, it looks like CaRT now has less than 30,000 boats, down from the all time high of 35,000 and down 2,000 or more on last year's figure.

Hopefully, we will be able to report that CaRT has provided the correct information as quickly as it provided incorrect information.

I believe that it has been discussed a number of times "how quiet the cut is this year"

We did the "Grindly Brook 6" in July in 45 minutes - no waiting to get in and not a single other boat going up or down.

The return journey was even quicker with the help of a Lockie ad SWMBO setting the next lock - 30 minutes top to bottom.

Who said the Llangollen is busy ?

We're veering well off topic here but I've lost count of the number of comments this year about the canals being quiet. From fellow boaters, hire companies, boatyards, and passers by.

And those of us familiar with the Northern canals have certainly witnessed a steady decline in traffic over the past decade. I used to put this down to the increased number of marinas - as we all know it's very easy to get stuck on your comfy pontoon with water and electricity to hand, but if licence numbers are actually declining that puts another slant on it.

The canals we went on during our recent summer holiday trip - S. Oxford, N. Oxford, Coventry - seemed quite busy, indeed very busy at times. But we did notice that Braunston, which can be a right old bottleneck, was uncluttered on both our outward and return journeys.

I bought a Colecraft shell with engine and spray foam insulation. Colecraft are good to work with and only wanted money when the shell was finished. If you do make stage payments make sure that it is clear what you own and that what you own is clearly identified so if the worst happens and your builder goes under the receiver will need proof of what you own before they release it, otherwise you become another creditor.

I am sure you have considered this, but do think about the length of boat, longer costs more to buy, moor and licence but some northern canals are limited to about 56ft. Longer does of course give you more room.

Final comment - If fitting it out yourself, you can always add or upgrade in the future fairly easily, but changes to the shell are not reasonably possible so get what you like the look of.