Looking to hire someone to remove and replace stove, Rugby area

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I am looking to hire a competent person-someone who has done this before or can at least convince me that they are safe and know what they are doing-to remove my current stove (disposal would be a bonus but not essential) and fit me a new one.

The full job entails:

Removal of the old stove- pretty much just sawing it off the flue, I suspect... the thing is not screwed to the floor!

Re-tiling underneath, as the current tiles are cracked and broken. This area is around three square feet, and would need the old shonky tiles removed first.

Fitting the new stove itself to be ready to use!

Possible extras/complications: My flue pipe may be unsuitable for keeping for two reasons, one being that it is not very long (and so if keeping, I'd need to buy a stove that matches the height of the current one) and two, that it is a 4" diameter, when I believe most are 5".

So the job will also either include matching the flue outlet of the new stove to the smaller one of the flue with an adaptor or something, or replacing the flue itself and everything that goes with that.

I will also need the person to be able to veto or approve my choice of stove after they have looked at the job, in terms of the logistics and suitability of it replacing the old one. (These are all sub- £200 cast iron stoves, so there's no point telling me to consider certain brand names or like for like replacement etc).

I am based on the North Oxford at Rugby, and shoreline electric is available but it tends to trip out after ten mins or so with very heavy usage!

I am keen to get it done sooner rather than later, so would like someone who can come and take a look ASAP, with a view to my ordering things right away and getting the job done within the next couple of weeks, and defo before the end of September because it's fecking freezing cold!

I will get the tiles, stove, flue (if needed) adaptor (if needed) etc., but would be needing you to supply the tools and tell me of any other bits that I would need to buy, like, um, the goo that glues the tiles to the floor.

If you think you can do all this, can get to me in Rugby, and can get the measurements or assess it all ASAP and get the job done by the end of the month, please PM me with an idea of a price (for the two options, replacing flue or not replacing flue) pending a firm fee quote when you've had a proper look, and any questions etc. you might have.

Thanks.

Starcoaster, its the tiling of the hearth that'll absorb about half of time and money. The person doing it will most likely have to do the tiling one day and come back again the next day to complete the job after the tiles have set and dried. You could prepare it yourself. You say the stove is not fixed down. Just yank it about until the flue pipe free's off and yank it all out. Put a saucepan over the outside collar to stop rain coming in. Tile the hearth yourself, it's not difficult. I've shown how to tile hearths in a simple manner to a few ladies that I've fitted stoves for which saved them quite a bit of dosh, in fact about half of the whole installation job..

Starcoaster, its the tiling of the hearth that'll absorb about half of time and money. The person doing it will most likely have to do the tiling one day and come back again the next day to complete the job after the tiles have set and dried. You could prepare it yourself. You say the stove is not fixed down. Just yank it about until the flue pipe free's off and yank it all out. Put a saucepan over the outside collar to stop rain coming in. Tile the hearth yourself, it's not difficult. I've shown how to tile hearths in a simple manner to a few ladies that I've fitted stoves for which saved them quite a bit of dosh, in fact about half of the whole installation job..

Good advice here.

One problem though, Coasty's stove flue is not fitted in the conventional manner, it is a vertical steel tube welded directly into the roof IIRC, so getting the old stove out is not going to be straightforward...

Mike the Boilerman, on 11 Sept 2015 - 11

Good advice here.

One problem though, Coasty's stove flue is not fitted in the conventional manner, it is a vertical steel tube welded directly into the roof IIRC, so getting the old stove out is not going to be straightforward...

Ah! That's not good heating up the roof and scorching the paint. She needs it cutting out and a proper collar fitting.