Getting online on board.

damdna

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

I'm looking for as much information as I you can give me to help me find the best internet I can get while living on board and continually cruising, as I'm about to set out onto the waterways to 'find myself'. clapping.gifblink.png

Any suggestions/information/guidance/expertise/links/names etc greatly appreciated.

Thank you and see you out there.

Jonathan

NB Gillian Anne

Share your wisdom. Am I searching in the wrong place? As in...the topic box, top right of my screen?

ive just got the EE mifi , 25gb for £30

i have a 3 phone and cant get reception at all in festival marina, ive been having trouble with 3 all the way back from Nantwich too, it seems to be getting worse since they have gone 4g

Paulstoke. Thank you. Do I need antennas etc and if so, where's the best buy? and by the way, everyone, these replies aren't always showing up straight away, so forgive me if I ask you summat you just answered. :-/

The search engine is rubbish, its possible that you searched "This topic" rather than "Forums", something which is a daft feature of the forum software we use but isn't possible to change (easily). It sets itself to "this topic" while you're reading a topic, and needs resetting to "forums".

Great links to threads, Paul C. Much appreciated. I'm not so much technophobic as more techno-imbecilic. Is there a company somewhere who can guide me as to the equipment I need to boost wifi on board?

The search engine is rubbish, its possible that you searched "This topic" rather than "Forums", something which is a daft feature of the forum software we use but isn't possible to change (easily). It sets itself to "this topic" while you're reading a topic, and needs resetting to "forums".

Oops! Yup. I did. It does.

Share your wisdom. Am I searching in the wrong place? As in...the topic box, top right of my screen?

Paulstoke. Thank you. Do I need antennas etc and if so, where's the best buy? and by the way, everyone, these replies aren't always showing up straight away, so forgive me if I ask you summat you just answered. :-/

I place my EE MyWifi unit in the window & get at least 3 bars on the signal indicator which does OK for the phone, laptop & smart TV.

I place my EE MyWifi unit in the window & get at least 3 bars on the signal indicator which does OK for the phone, laptop & smart TVT.

Thanks, BargeeSpud. So, would recommend a MyWiFi from EE?

Thanks, BargeeSpud. So, would recommend a MyWiFi from EE?

That's the big question isn't it? Like all mobile internet access, it all depends on where you are, I'm in Hemel Hempstead & mine works great, but Worcestershire is a big unknown for me. Last year I crapped out with my old 3G T-Mobile unit throughout Warwickshire for example, whether the 4G EE would work, again I don't know. Maybe someone else in your area who's on EE 4G can give you a better idea than I can

Jonathon, recommendation only applies at any given location, signal strength for all networks varies dependant on where you are . Best bet is to make a judgement call based on coverage maps.

It is generally accepted that 3 provides good coverage but as this thread has shown it is not universally the case.

So no definitive answer.

Phil

I'd recommend an unlocked mi-fi unit and try out some cheap PAYG mobile data SIMs in it, doing some speed tests, normal browsing, and if possible travel around a bit in your usual area. Personally I'd try out the different network providers in the following order:

1. Three

2. EE

3. O2

4. Vodaphone

Also remember that you'll never get as good a data connection on the canals, as a fixed broadband connection. Its one of the compromises you make when living on a boat.

I have an unlocked Huawei E5776 Mobile WiFi device new from an eBay supplier, about £80, and a 4G omni directional aerial from Solwise:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

about £80.

I also have a metre of more flexible aerial cable and an adapter between the actual aerial cable and the Huawei.

Having tried an EE data sim in the area I am in most, and finding it multi times faster than my Three sim, I subscribe to a monthly contract with EE for 15Gb for £20. I could have 25Gb for £30 but, so far I haven't got too close to the 15Gb limit.

In May, I used it in the heart if the Cheshire countryside, a long way from an EE tower, and got a good 4G signal. My Three sim got an unusably slow signal from a closer Three tower.

I used to be a big fan if Three, but something has changed with them, as the signal has deteriorated, probably since they offered "free 4G".

I assume when you say continuous cruising you mean all over the canal system! If not to get a good report from others on the forum you need to state your cruising area.

I cruise over the system and have used EE for years.

Not 100% but most places able to use even if slow. You choose but be honest about my first sentence.

I have a Vodafone R215 (= Huawei E5372) 4G mobile WiFi with two aerial sockets that I got free with a contract. It works much better than any of my previous card and USB modems. I have seen the R215 (used) on Ebay for ~£60.

It works well enough that I have not had to invest in an external aerial yet. I do not know if any UK supplier actually supports the 'dual' aerial.

Since Vodafone's upgrades to 4G I rarely use my backup 'Three' PAYG dongle. BTW having a 'Three' PAYG dongle was useful 'insurance' against Vodafone's charges for data in excess of contract. Unlike the slow and data hungry Vodafone site, 'Three' do not charge for access to their efficient billing site - a couple of minutes and a credit/debit card gets you online.

As PaulC says get an unlocked MiFi so that you can use whatever SIM that gets the best data rate (not necessarily the best signal) in a particular location/area. I believe 'Three' supply all of their 'phones and dongles 'unlocked', Vodafone charge £20 and there are suppliers that will unlock most devices for a small fee or even for free.

N.B. I am not recommending Vodafone, it is the most expensive provider but has best coverage on the K&A. Even on 4G with a good signal, Data speed is poor but, more significantly, it frequently 'drops out' requiring a page reload sometimes a modem reset and, of course, a charge for the additional data.

Their website is slow, charges for bloated data, usage figures lag for 72 hours and I am never certain of the monthly cut-off date. Support is non-existent for data problems; they depend on a Forum that has occasional input from Vodafone employees. For voice problems they charge 25p for a call from a Vodafone 'phone (repeatedly getting cut off and charged another 25p for every desperate attempt) but, if your 'phone is not working you are charged the earth for a call from another provider's 'phone, if (unlikely) you have access to one. Their call-center operatives do a reasonable job on '191' for voice billing queries but have absolutely no clue about data modems; e.g. I call 191 and choose an option, then I am asked if my query relates to the number I am calling from - answer 'No' - I enter the number of my MiFi and it is never recognised, I re-enter the number and it is accepted, after waiting for five minutes a real person asks 'Is that number are you calling about' - with luck I am, eventually, transferred to someone who understands my problem..

Apologies for my rant but IMHO UK plc would be more profitable with a single provider of masts and transmitters, much like Network Rail. It would not be so bad if I could 'roam' onto other networks in the UK as I can in Europe and elsewhere but UK providers have been authorized by Government to provide only a local service. The situation may get better if BT, who were forced by Government to sell O2, are now allowed to acquire EE.

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

As in all over the canal system. Taking time out to relax and explore.

I'm looking for as much information as I you can give me to help me find the best internet I can get while living on board and continually cruising, as I'm about to set out onto the waterways to 'find myself'. clapping.gifblink.png

Dare I ask why you need the internet when your goal in going out CCing is to 'find yourself'?

I'd have thought extended isolation from this babble of humanity is closer to what you seek!

wink.png

Edited by Mike the Boilerman