top part of porthole at the bottom of the river...!

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

At 4am this morning we got woken by the ducks scraping the side of our boat. I went to open the window to shoo them and somehow (was half asleep!) managed to send the top half of the porthole plopping into the water. We don't seem to have any info on what type it is just size to guide us. Any ideas where we'd get replacements for things like this?

Many thanks

H

Same thing happened to me earlier this year. If you want them out they will only come out if you fiddle them into the correct position, but it's amazing how easily they fall out when you don't want them to! In my case it was just drawing the curtains across it that flicked it into the "falling out" position.

In anticipation of it happening again sometime I used one of the others to make a template then cut a new one out of Perspex. I found the brass catch I needed at Wesley Marine Windows.

Been there and done that, and at least you have an excuse.

If its a modern "round window" then the maker may well carry spares.

If its a proper brass port-hole then it can be harder.

Assuming you have another similar one then take it to a good glass shop and ask for a copy.

But note...

It should be safety glass, most glass shops can't do this in house so they just act as a middleman for a company who can

so......

It will take a few days

The glass shop only makes a small mark-up so might not be too enthusiastic, they might tell you that you don't need safely glass.

If you order 2 or 3 (as spares) they might be a bit more enthusiastic.

Not cheap!

..............Dave.

In order to stop this causing a problem, cut cardboard semi circles to match your window sizes and use these, keeping your glass in a safe drawer for special occasions

Like daytime!!!!!

Did you see the best jokes list from the Edinborough festival???

Red sky at night shepherds delight, blue sky in the morning....day!!!!

.............Dave