sailaway ... advice please

Bobby-Joe

Featured Posts

If they can do it within a month or two it means they are short of work, so they may be prepared to haggle and if you pay a deposit hold onto the boat until you are ready - so long as it's not too long. I would not screw them down to an unfair deal otherwise the relationship will not be good and little extras you later realise you want but did not specify at the start - such as a fuel take off for a diesel boiler that you may want one day suddenly become expensive.

Shell builders also tend to have a preferred engine supplier which they know how to fit and also get a good price, so unless you have set your heart on a particular engine there may be another money saving opportunity for you - but you will have to haggle.

Edited by Chewbacka

Well we have just nipped down to johnathan wilsons but he wasnt in so we had a chat with his son. He showed us round and the boats that were in the warehouses getting made. He gave us johnathans number so we can call and make arrangements to go down and discuss what we are looking for.

Ohhhh my gosh iv got right butterflys its all seeming very real now (altho not for quite a few months yet) but oooooooo oooooooo im right giddy ?

Bobby-Joe - Exciting times for you, but if you go with a good builder then it should go well. One final suggestion, when it goes into the water make sure you have adequate mooring stuff - ropes etc - as no one else will

Im right excited now its finally looking like a step further after months n months of it just been an idea. I think we will deffo be going with johnathan wilson. Hes been highly recomended plus i havent read anything bad when iv googled.

Iv made lists n lists of stuff to be getting iv put extra pins and rope for the springs to and them hooks for wiggly metal sheeting ?

Im right excited now its finally looking like a step further after months n months of it just been an idea. I think we will deffo be going with johnathan wilson. Hes been highly recomended plus i havent read anything bad when iv googled.

Iv made lists n lists of stuff to be getting iv put extra pins and rope for the springs to and them hooks for wiggly metal sheeting

I home Mr. Wilson doesn't have any wiggly metal sheeting in his builds....

While indirectly on that subject - make sure there are attachments on the roof for at least a centre line and possibly somewhere on the roof for fenders to be attached - even if you do not use them. stupid devices on the gunnel just don't cut it (IMO)

Iv made lists n lists of stuff to be getting iv put extra pins and rope for the springs to and them hooks for wiggly metal sheeting

what on earth do u mean by wiggly metal?

ooops LOL i couldnt think what it was called i just know id read about some hooks for metal if you cant use pins so i google a pic and it was wiggly

old goat.. is fenders on the roof for tunnels? im not sure we will be going thru any for quite a while. im only planning on lurking about from rotherham to donny upto keadby and the new junction cos Shanes still got to get back to sheffield for work. when he retires we are planning on adventures tho clapping.gif

ooops LOL i couldnt think what it was called i just know id read about some hooks for metal if you cant use pins so i google a pic and it was wiggly

old goat.. is fenders on the roof for tunnels? im not sure we will be going thru any for quite a while. im only planning on lurking about from rotherham to donny upto keadby and the new junction cos Shanes still got to get back to sheffield for work. when he retires we are planning on adventures tho clapping.gif

Have you ever been Narrowboating?

You misunderstand the, 'attachments for fenders on the roof' means somewhere you can tie the rope attached to the fenders that hang down the side, that are only deployed when you moor up.

It is only a matter of aesthetics that Od Goat does not like the usual method of 'hooks', of various design, that hook onto the cabin roof.

A sample: http://www.chandlers-online.com/product/Plastic_Fender_Line_Hook.

No connection and no recommendation.

You misunderstand the, 'attachments for fenders on the roof' means somewhere you can tie the rope attached to the fenders that hang down the side, that are only deployed when you moor up.

It is only a matter of aesthetics that Od Goat does not like the usual method of 'hooks', of various design, that hook onto the cabin roof.

A sample: http://www.chandlers-online.com/product/Plastic_Fender_Line_Hook.

No connection and no recommendation.

Au contraire - I have no feeling for those plastic hooks - one way or another - I don't believe that they could work as you cruise along - looking at the above - if used for mooring up, they are probably very good.

My objection is to those fitted into sockets in the hull above the rubbing strake. Possibly dangerous on narrow canals and maybe on broad canals as well.

On the Thames and rivers they are useless. So I had rings welded into my roof (solid guard rail so nowhere to tie anything). Makes it easy to change for flat / or tube fenders when we visit the ditchy bits. Also useful for tying 'things' to flags, bunting washing lines W.H.Y.

Fenders down on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal is not a problem as it is about 60 feet wide and maybe 30 feet at the bridges and no passing at the bridges and the river Severn is even wider :-)) But I agree on most canals it is fenders up when moving.

Getting back on topic, mooring chains are better and more common on the G&S canal than piling hooks, and they don't make that nasty clanking noise either.

Fenders down on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal is not a problem as it is about 60 feet wide and maybe 30 feet at the bridges and no passing at the bridges and the river Severn is even wider :-)) But I agree on most canals it is fenders up when moving.

Getting back on topic, mooring chains are better and more common on the G&S canal than piling hooks, and they don't make that nasty clanking noise either.

So whats the point of having them down then if you are not going to touch anything?

Iv made lists n lists of stuff to be getting iv put extra pins and rope for the springs to and them hooks for wiggly metal sheeting [/quot

Maybe your jumping the gun a bit too much, you need to think about where your going to fit it out???? Will Jonathan let you fit it out in his yard??? Have you got the tooling to achieve the task? and I don't mean a jigsaw, a drill and a supply of sandpaper. There's not too many working boat yards around Sheffield like there is in the Midlands. you need to research and not get carried away with the dream. Where will you fit it out?

Edited by Northernboater

If they can do it within a month or two it means they are short of work, so they may be prepared to haggle and if you pay a deposit hold onto the boat until you are ready - so long as it's not too long. I would not screw them down to an unfair deal otherwise the relationship will not be good and little extras you later realise you want but did not specify at the start - such as a fuel take off for a diesel boiler that you may want one day suddenly become expensive.

Shell builders also tend to have a preferred engine supplier which they know how to fit and also get a good price, so unless you have set your heart on a particular engine there may be another money saving opportunity for you - but you will have to haggle.

Jonathan is snowed under with work and the yard is at full stretch with orders, after all his shells have won Crick for the last 3 years, maybe with a lower grade shell builder lol.

Edited by Northernboater

I fitted my boat out with not much more than a good selection of hand tools, a Dewalt battery drill, a 240v drill and an angle grinder and lots of sandpaper. I was moored up to a pontoon with no services.

I had to get it valued for insurance as it was a self fit out, and he described it as 'professional' but I accept it is more functional than beautiful, but that is what I wanted.

I fitted my boat out with not much more than a good selection of hand tools, a Dewalt battery drill, a 240v drill and an angle grinder and lots of sandpaper. I was moored up to a pontoon with no services.

I had to get it valued for insurance as it was a self fit out, and he described it as 'professional' but I accept it is more functional than beautiful, but that is what I wanted.

How did you cut straight lines in sheet material?

I can't really see why you would need an angle grinder for the interior wood work, what I'm saying is don't get carried away yet, There's a lot more involved then finding a shell builder and there are few marine's around Sheffield never mind one's that let you work on sailaways. Maybe she could find a dry land site to complete.

Edited by Northernboater