sailaway ... advice please

Bobby-Joe

Featured Posts

sooooo we have totally changed our mind from a second hand one to going for a sailaway.

this was never an option for me to start with cos i just wanted to buy one and flit onboard and do her up while we was living on her.

BUT .... due to the various life stuffs that popped up recently making us have to postpone it anyway we thort a sailaway would be the perfect idea.

we are going to go and see the fella at sheffield in the next few weeks but want to go and chat to as many builders as possible as we have absolutly no idea about time scale design etc...

we are thinking we want it to be done as far as electrics plumbing and important stuff but we will be fitting the inside ( i still want it all tongue n groove and oldy worldy ) and Shane will be doing the painting on the outside.

so can any of you recomend places to go and places to deffo NOT go

THANKYOU

XX

Southam in Warwickshire. It's a proper long-established factory, not a fly-by-night operation.

il stick them on my list then biggrin.png

iv read some terrible things about boat bulders going bust and the poor folks losing their money. id be devestated if that happened.

the bloke at sheffield has come highly recomended so will more than likely go with him but still need to talk to a few different ones as its something we know nothing about at all. i know nothing about boats full stop but at least id read lots for months about buying second hand.

I also have a colecraft sailaway and am most pleased with it. I would suggest you make a reasonably comprehensive spec, so things like how many windows and style/size - portholes or big windows. How many power outlets, dc and ac etc etc. the other thing that became apparant talking to various shell builders is that my idea of a couple of months is about 8 weeks, for boat builders it is somewhere between 6 and 16 weeks, so if delivery date is critical get it into the contract, or be ready to be flexible

I also have a colecraft sailaway and am most pleased with it. I would suggest you make a reasonably comprehensive spec, so things like how many windows and style/size - portholes or big windows. How many power outlets, dc and ac etc etc. the other thing that became apparant talking to various shell builders is that my idea of a couple of months is about 8 weeks, for boat builders it is somewhere between 6 and 16 weeks, so if delivery date is critical get it into the contract, or be ready to be flexible

thankyou for that

iv drawn a diagram ( i use the term drawn very loosely LOL) of they layout i want. and shown where i want portholes.. in the bedroom and bathroom and big windows in the kitchen and room.

i wont be having many electric appliances cos i wont be taking my microwave/steamer/slow cooker/big electric mixer and i very rarely use a hairdryer or my straighners or the iron so they wont be coming. iv seen a little twin tub on amazon that quite a few narrowboat folks recomend so i think itl just be the telly ( at night when he comes home cos i dont watch it at all in the day) and fone/tablet charging i wont be taking my laptop or printer.

a delivery date isnt critical cos we arnt selling our house my daughter will be staying at home and her boyfriend moving in with her.

but before we move on id at least want a stove and back boiler with radiators and a source of hot water.

Sheffield? Tyler Wilson?

yes i think thats the name, it was peterboat that recomended him and seen as i only live 5 mins away from the sheffield marina i can go and take a packed lunch and sit n spy on her getting built clapping.gif so im very much liking this idea !

My hull is from them and both Tim (Tyler) and Jonathan (Wilson) are gentlemen and easy to talk to.

They have a long history in the boat building industry as were their family before them.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them for a shell.

The only reason I cannot recommend them for fit-out is ours was done by another company so have no knowledge of how good that may be.

May of the top fit-out companies require their shells

Ours is now six years old and no problems whatsoever with the shell. (Josher style, Birmingham Square)

thankyou for that

iv drawn a diagram ( i use the term drawn very loosely LOL) of they layout i want. and shown where i want portholes.. in the bedroom and bathroom and big windows in the kitchen and room.

i wont be having many electric appliances cos i wont be taking my microwave/steamer/slow cooker/big electric mixer and i very rarely use a hairdryer or my straighners or the iron so they wont be coming. iv seen a little twin tub on amazon that quite a few narrowboat folks recomend so i think itl just be the telly ( at night when he comes home cos i dont watch it at all in the day) and fone/tablet charging i wont be taking my laptop or printer.

a delivery date isnt critical cos we arnt selling our house my daughter will be staying at home and her boyfriend moving in with her.

but before we move on id at least want a stove and back boiler with radiators and a source of hot water.

Even so, I'd recommend if you're having the wiring put in, to put pretty much everything you can think of in now, since it will be very easy and cost little extra. To retro-fit more sockets, wires etc will be 10x harder once the boat's interior is fitted.

My hull is from them and both Tim (Tyler) and Jonathan (Wilson) are gentlemen and easy to talk to.

They have a long history in the boat building industry as were their family before them.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them for a shell.

The only reason I cannot recommend them for fit-out is ours was done by another company so have no knowledge of how good that may be.

May of the top fit-out companies require their shells

Ours is now six years old and no problems whatsoever with the shell. (Josher style, Birmingham Square)

I have no idea what a josher style or Birmingham square is il have to google them. I want a cruiser stern one.

It doesnt matter about fit out cos we are planning on doing it ourselves. Iv had a static caravan in the past and want it nothing like that inside im not keen on the modern look. But we would need things like the electrics and plumbing sorting for us.

One builder that I've not seen on here (for a while) is:-

http://www.cainnarrowboats.com/cain_narrowboats_7_024.htm

Perhaps it's because they're busy..

The can fit in a sailaway - if asked nicely.

Somebody came on here olast year and was pleased with what she bought.

Il stick that 1 on my list to then thankyou

Even so, I'd recommend if you're having the wiring put in, to put pretty much everything you can think of in now, since it will be very easy and cost little extra. To retro-fit more sockets, wires etc will be 10x harder once the boat's interior is fitted.

Oooo good advice thankyou. Yep cos i dare say my idea of how lifes going to be and what il need will nodoubt change drastically in reality after a few months onboard ?

I really enjoyed having boat built and overseeing fit out I was there lots n lots and it was the best time ever...now having owned her a year there are bits not quite right but not enough to consider exchanging.

Thats the bit im looking forward to aswell now, being able to go and watch her grow. Thats why im fancying having her built in sheffield cos im literally 5 mins up the road so can go whenever we have a spare 10 mins ?

The inside will be right rickety lol shanes not to sparkly with wood hes a welder and car person but i want it ramshackle and oldy worldy so i dont think his cock ups will stand out half as much as his disastrous DIY efforts do in my house LOL

you'll get plenty of peeps who can do a rickety and ramshackle fit-out but not many who will admit to it unsure.pngrolleyes.gif

ooooo int it funny that ... shane dunt admit his bodge jobs either. In his eyes theyre perfect but in mine and everyone elses the wonky cuboards n big gaps and just about everything stick out like a sore thumb ?

It is on his last post the blue print. wink.png

As to Josher style, It is just a 'special' style of boat bow, very expensive to have a proper one but mine is of that style and cheaper. not a must have just I like it.

Birmingham square, most narrow boats slope inwards from the gunwale (waistline) to the bottom plate, a Birmingham Square has vertical sides from the gunwale to the bottom plate, this gives about four more inches at floor level, so when I stand something on the floor it touches the cabin sides all the way up to the gunwale, on other boats if you stand something against the wall, where it meets the floor, you have a gap at the top (gunwale level)

It is on his last post the blue print. wink.png

As to Josher style, It is just a 'special' style of boat bow, very expensive to have a proper one but mine is of that style and cheaper. not a must have just I like it.

Birmingham square, most narrow boats slope inwards from the gunwale (waistline) to the bottom plate, a Birmingham Square has vertical sides from the gunwale to the bottom plate, this gives about four more inches at floor level, so when I stand something on the floor it touches the cabin sides all the way up to the gunwale, on other boats if you stand something against the wall, where it meets the floor, you have a gap at the top (gunwale level)

Arrrrr il have to put my laptop on to look then. It isnt showing up on my fone :/

I googled them yesterday it took me ages to sus out a josher style one but then it seemed obvious at the difference they do look fancy.

I liked the idea of the Birmingham square but then saw the extra price n decided with the amount its going to cos as it is il do without lol that could be my stove n heating.

Thats another reason i cant go with a builder that says itl be done in 4-6 week cos we havent got no where near enough pennies to buy it and fit it out just yet. ?

I've also written a blog on my boat from start to completion and beyond. Ive also written one on renovation of house of horror in case anyone fancies that challenge...its tougher than a boat fit out

Oooo lovely il have to read your blog to patty-ann is your link on here to? Im going to make a facebook page to document mine from birth of a nut n bolt or sheet of metal or whatever they start out as to going in the water then all my adventures every day ?

Thats another reason i cant go with a builder that says itl be done in 4-6 week cos we havent got no where near enough pennies to buy it and fit it out just yet.

No harm in contacting, going to see them, explain your situation, time scale, etc.

I am sure they will still be helpful.