Sheffield

jellybeano

Featured Posts

I phoned CV marine in the basin last year a few days before my arrival and they were very helpful sorting me out a mooring. Some are behind a locked gate but others including the one I had aren't but we had 4 trouble free days up there at no charge. There are a couple of CRT moorings as well just on the outside of the swing bridge but I think CV Marine keep an eye on them as well.

You did need to book the Tinsley flight a day or so before you intend to transit with CRT. If you phone the main number I'm sure they can give you the lockies mobile. They like to convoy boats to protect water supplies. One of the locks near the top of the flight was full of kids swimming but we didn't have any grief...but you can see why the locks are secured and we were grateful for the CRT chap on the bank!

I must say we quite enjoyed our trip. The pubs around Kelham Island are to be reccomended!

Cheers

Gareth

All as Gareth says we go up regularly we normally stop at Johnathon Wilsons as I know him. The moorings in the Basin are fairly quiet lots of good pubs in Kelham island most serve food some have very good music nights, you missed Tramlines which is always a good weekend. Two theaters as well within easy walking distance so enjoy. If you need anything pm me and I will see if I can help

Peter

All the moorings at Sheffield are run by CV Marine, the visitor moorings are on the right hand side as you come in past the bridge next to Sheaf Quay(which is not a pub as stated in the Nicolson Guide) There are moorings available with electric hook up, these are in the basin when available and your best phoning to arrange if required, you get 72hrs free and that is full days not including the day you arrive, so if you arrive Friday you can stay the whole weekend till Tuesday, then it's £10 per night or £50 per week.

There are free showers, Elsen disposal point and waste disposal, Gas, pump-out is £15, The moorings are fairly secure as can be in a city centre but it is fairly quiet compared to most city centre moorings I've been to. The City centre is a 5 minute walk. Just pop into the Marina Office(Arch 12) when you arrive to introduce yourself as that is all they ask so they know who's in.

Edited by PD1964

I phoned CV marine in the basin last year a few days before my arrival and they were very helpful sorting me out a mooring. Some are behind a locked gate but others including the one I had aren't but we had 4 trouble free days up there at no charge. There are a couple of CRT moorings as well just on the outside of the swing bridge but I think CV Marine keep an eye on them as well.

You did need to book the Tinsley flight a day or so before you intend to transit with CRT. If you phone the main number I'm sure they can give you the lockies mobile. They like to convoy boats to protect water supplies. One of the locks near the top of the flight was full of kids swimming but we didn't have any grief...but you can see why the locks are secured and we were grateful for the CRT chap on the bank!

I must say we quite enjoyed our trip. The pubs around Kelham Island are to be reccomended!

Cheers

Gareth

Lockies mobile number is 07710 175488 and they do request 24 hours notice.

AFAIK the lockies do all the boat movements in the morning, so mobile may be on answerphone, but they will get back to you.

The assisted passage / locked up section now starts at Holmes Lock. They suggest you moor overnight above Eastwood Lock and meet them at Holmes at 10:00. Coming back down, they like you at Tinsley Top at 09:00

AFAIK the lockies do all the boat movements in the morning, so mobile may be on answerphone, but they will get back to you.

The assisted passage / locked up section now starts at Holmes Lock. They suggest you moor overnight above Eastwood Lock and meet them at Holmes at 10:00. Coming back down, they like you at Tinsley Top at 09:00

That sounds like what we did last year....they are all very helpful.

Cheers

Gareth

Many thanks for all the advice. Very helpful. Have phoned the basin marina, had to leave an answerphone message, and they have not yet got back to me. Good to know what to hopefully expect there though. Yes, thanks, we have booked for the lock flight, going up tomorrow morning. The R Don has been surprisingly beautiful, incredibly quiet, boat-wise, and very enjoyable. Mooring last night at Sprotborough was very pleasant.

We know Kelham Island from the past (our son was at university in Sheffield, and stayed on living there afterwards for a bit).

Next challenge will be filling up with diesel before going out onto the R Trent at Keadby. Am hoping the boatyards at Thorne are still open and selling diesel.........any recent knowledge??

Cheers

Gareth

And the industrial museum at Kelham Island is a real treat. Do watch the big steam engine in action and have a look at the video to see it when it was in steel production.

N

Next challenge will be filling up with diesel before going out onto the R Trent at Keadby. Am hoping the boatyards at Thorne are still open and selling diesel.........any recent knowledge??

Diesel was there to be bought but in common with no end of boat yards they seem to rent out the diesel berth for permanent mooring so you have to be a bit agile with the nozzle!

N

Now tied up at Victoria Quays. What a lovely morning coming up Tinsley locks, beautiful scenery, excellently maintained locks and extremely friendly CaRT staff. What a wonderful way to arrive at and stay in Sheffield.

Off to explore the delights of Kelham Island museum.....and beer, tomorrow.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful advice.