Lord Hays Branch - calling Capt Ahab

Tony K

Featured Posts

The canal finished in the field almost opposite the Masons Andy.

There is a small section of what I presume to be the original canal bed (a hollow) almost parallel to the A34 by the pool (which unless the grey cells are going I thought Capt Ahab had included a picture of when he explored the route of the canal)

Edited by Tony K

The wording on the maps is Lord Hay's, but the original intended terminus was a place not a person it is now generally accepted that this was Lord's Hayes

When built, the terminus wharf was also the end of the single track railway, a plateway, it is generally believed to be, that, was laid to the Essington Wood Colliery,and transported coal to Newtown Basin. Later other coal pits were established nearer the terminus and along the length to the junction with the main line.

Ray Shill

Possibly the Isaac Walton is a product of subsidence then whereas the pool slightly further north behind the care home could be closer to the original terminus, although the care home itself looks to have obliterated any trace of the actual basins? Im using Newtown Farm as a reference point.

I didn't realise how close the canal came to the cemetery there, looks like my granddad chose the nearest plot available to the course of the old Wyrley Bank branch.

The canal finished in the field almost opposite the Masons Andy.

There is a small section of what I presume to be the original canal bed (a hollow) almost parallel to the A34 by the pool (which unless the grey cells are going I thought Capt Ahab had included a picture of when he explored the route of the canal)

The basins still exist behind the care home. I climbed into them but they are smothered in undergrowth.

Photos are here:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/lord-hays-canal-part-3.html

The basins still exist behind the care home. I climbed into them but they are smothered in undergrowth.

Photos are here:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/lord-hays-canal-part-3.html

Brilliant article, would love to know if the page referenced in the comments about a new route for L&H was actually referring to Lord Hays, seems a massive detour from the route originally.

Im learning new stuff every day, Ive seen your boats around Capt, but didnt realise it was you... if you get what I mean.

<snip> a new route for L&H was actually referring to Lord Hays, seems a massive detour from the route originally. <snip>

this

http://www.lhcrt.org.uk/hath.htm

certainly shows the proposed route including the lord hays branch, ISTR it may have something to do with

the SSSI status of the cannock extension and not wanting increased boat movements.

springy

this

certainly shows the proposed route including the lord hays branch, ISTR it may have something to do with

the SSSI status of the cannock extension and not wanting increased boat movements.

springy

Hiya Springy

Sure I'd read somewhere that earlier plans to link up from Grove Marina on The Ext had met with resistance from Wyrley Estates (????)

Hi Tony,

I'm not aware "resistance from wyrley estate", though its possible of course, and the "control" of

the estate has relatively recently (in hatherton restoration time scales) moved to the next generation

but the but the SSSI status does mean they're not allowed to dredge on the extension - even when its

their own dredging boat that got stuck in a bridgehole and the problem was masonry from the bridge walls !

cheers

springy

Coincidentally, whilst fishing on the W & E near the junction of the Extension a couple of months back a small boat with sonar equipment was mapping the canal bed.

As I control the fishing rights on the Ext for a sports club we'd welcome 'some dredging' as the shelves are heavily silted in places.

this

springy

I worked on this route - yes, English Nature had raised an objection to a move that would greatly increase use of the Cannock Extension. As in many similar cases they recognised that can't object to increased use per-se but felt that making it a through route represented a threat to the habitat.

As mush of the original route of the Cannock Extension had been lost anyway there didn't seem much point in making an issue of it so we looked at Lord Hay's Branch instead.

• 4 years later...
On 12/08/2015 at 12:38, Heartland said:

The wording on the maps is Lord Hay's, but the original intended terminus was a place not a person it is now generally accepted that this was Lord's Hayes

When built, the terminus wharf was also the end of the single track railway, a plateway, it is generally believed to be, that, was laid to the Essington Wood Colliery,and transported coal to Newtown Basin. Later other coal pits were established nearer the terminus and along the length to the junction with the main line.

Ray Shill

Ray _ The next Canal Hunter Video is on this branch and I would welcome any input you have. Even its name seems to be uncertain- Hays, Hay's or Hayes..... Actualy - if any of you have any historical contribution I would love to include it.