Water tanks

plumby

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Loads of questions being asked and I thank everyone for there input and patience.

Any way, water tanks holding the amount of gallons they do, is it required the water or tank be sterilised at all, especially in the summer ?? Do people use filtration systems ??

Thank you for your time

Andy

A tank with a proper lining that is emptied regularly (as you're living aboard you'll constantly be using the water) doesn't need treatment adding to the water. Some people do use an inline brita type filter on the kitchen tap to improve the "tank taste" though.

A tank with a proper lining that is emptied regularly (as you're living aboard you'll constantly be using the water) doesn't need treatment adding to the water. Some people do use an inline brita type filter on the kitchen tap to improve the "tank taste" though.

We've had our boat since March, liveaboard since May (granted I shower in the shower blocks) but we still haven't emptied our water tank yet!!

I have a stainless water tank, I don't live aboard, I do have an inline filter, and I happily drink from the tap, clean my teeth,make tea coffee and cook, the water can be in the tank a month or more if the boats not used, but it's always been fine, I've never cleaned or sterilised it either and that's been cool for five years at least

Quote from an earlier thread (Water Tank started by Rickent):

The following information is extracted from "The Ship Captains Medical Guide 22nd Edition" pp85 to 89 & can be downloaded from the internet, or purchased.

Disinfection of The fresh water tanks and distribution system by super chlorination.

Disinfection of FW tanks and distribution system should be done at intervals of not more than 12 months.

Chlorine compounds that may be used: Chlorinated Lime, high test Hypo-Chlorite or commercially prepared Sodium Hypo-Chlorite solution. (The actual dosage information for the different compounds are tabled)

Introduce the chlorine solution into the nearly empty tank and immeadiately fill to overflowing, open taps & outlets and allow the water to flow until until you can smell the chlorinated water, care must be taken to ensure the pressure tank is filled with chlorinated water.

top up drawn off water until the tank overflows again, chlorine should be added to make up the concentration in the tank to 50ppm (50mg/litre).

The chlorinated water should remain in the tank & distribution system preferably for 12 hours but not less than 4 hours. Drain and flush the tank and distribution system until the water no longer has an objectionable taste of chlorine.

Thin bleach...aka sodium hypochlorite....is exactly the same stuff as the water board add to all potable water....as had been said its all down to the concentration. Thick bleach is a totally different product and shouldn't be used for water purification.

We use a nature pure filter which is miles better than a "brita" type device....if you so wished you could pass the water from the canal through it and drink it...as indeed the chap who markets them has done at shows!

Cheers

Gareth

We've had our boat since March, liveaboard since May (granted I shower in the shower blocks) but we still haven't emptied our water tank yet!!

Yes perhaps it's more of a "me" thing that I like to fully drain the tanks every now and then...!

We haven't out of curiosity as to how long this never ending water supply will last!

You want to be wary of a never-ending water supply. We had someone on here a few years ago with an integral water tank in the bows that he never had to fill. Eventually he found out that a weld in the hull between the tank and the canal outside had failed!

Is the water not a bit stale yet wacko.png

We like topping ours up each weekend as it means we have fresh water in the tank.

Yes perhaps it's more of a "me" thing that I like to fully drain the tanks every now and then...!

Not just you. We do this as well. We have a small tank though and after a weekends use on the boat there doesn't tend to be loads left to drain off.

Is the water not a bit stale yet wacko.png

We like topping ours up each weekend as it means we have fresh water in the tank.

We only use it for washing up! Not drinking, the cat seems to have no complaints with the condition of it though! I might empty and refill this weekend however.