Mobile phones and water...

Chop!

Featured Posts

We poodled down to Woodford (river Nene) on Saturday, intending to mow the 'Friends of the river Nene' mooring, the owner had already mowed it almost down to the bank. NB Wood Elf was moored in the middle and we decided moor upstream of them, I pushed the bow into the bank and Glenda jumped ashore, then when I jumped from the stern I slipped down the bank and Splosh! One very wet Chop, my shoes got stuck in the mud and Glenda struggled trying to pull me out, I drove a mooring spike into the bank and managed with Glenda's help to get out, complete with ruined 2 week old phone. The only good thing was that I had so many stings from the nettles that I could no longer feel the wasp sting I got in Braunston!
To rub salt into my wounds, when I looked online for a replacement I found out that a few days after I'd bought my phone Motorola had upgraded the phone adding waterproofing which is good up to 1 metre deep for up to 30 minutes!

Link here to the waterproof 4G phone (which also has Gorilla glass protection) :- http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_%283rd_gen%29-7247.php

I have no links to any company or sellers, just thought it a good phone for boaters.

Safe, happy and dry boating!

Chop & Glenda

Glad you are OK.

My mate fell off the pontoon in Brentford last year, when he surfaced his hand broke the surface holding his new iPhone. We switched it off and put it in a bad full of rice and left it for three days.

Turned it on and perfect, worked as new.

Good to hear things have moved on. When we first moved aboard in 2009 I dropped my phone in the water in the first week. I managed to retrieve the data from the sim before it waved it's legs in the air and died. Mind we are talking a Motorola RAZR - how technology moves on :)

Glad you're ok - phones can be replaced

Chop - sorry to hear about your woos and glad to hear other than a nasty case of nettle stings your alright.

All might not be lost. Dave went in at Braunston marina within the first month of us moving onto the boat with his phone, he was in the water for a few minutes until he got himself to the end of the pontoon where the ladder was and we placed the phone on a little shelf by the stove and left it for 3 days, turned it on and it's worked fine ever since. Worth a try at least.

I managed to drop mine in yesterday but grabbed it straight away!. After a quick wipe it was ok, thankfully it was in a cover and as long as the charging ports are closed, supposed to be ok for 30 minutes! Must admit my life flashed before my eyes for a second, seem so reliant on them nowadays. (experia z1)

Glad you are OK.

My mate fell off the pontoon in Brentford last year, when he surfaced his hand broke the surface holding his new iPhone. We switched it off and put it in a bad full of rice and left it for three days.

Turned it on and perfect, worked as new.

He was extremely lucky, iPhones seem particularly sensitive to a dunking and if it is working now it could still pack up at a later sate.

Jan dropped hers in a washing up bowl of water and it died instantly.

A lot depends on how clean the water is, sea/salt water is virtually a guaranteed kiss of death.

(Incidentally I have read that if you do get a phone wet the one thing you shouldn't do is switch it off if it's on or on if it's off until it is completely dried out, that alone is enough to kill them.)

That's right leave phone alone if dunked. Bag of rice and airing cupboard. Washing up stuff contains salt, kiss of death. Have saved a galaxy, and an iPhone 5 for people, lost a Nokia (saltwater). Saved an iPad mini, but that was cos it had a high impact case and a glass screen, and it was scooped out quickly. Just luck I guess.

We immediately tried to pop it into a bowl of rice (uncooked! rice pudding won't work!). Unfortunately the Motorola, like the i-phone has a non removable battery, while trying to remove the rear cover, I accidently turned it on.

These phones are much cheaper than Samsungs or i-phones and come with amoured 'Gorilla Glass' fitted as standard (I am also very good at breaking screens!) so it's great to get that and waterproofing for the price ;o)

Had one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fonerange-Rugged-128-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00F0MRM6I

for about 3 yrs now.

Bombproof.

Downside only 3g & no 3 support.

Sub £40 on web.

Dual sim.

Days of battery life. [sometimes a week]

Use when cruising as only needed for calls.

Move sim to me Galaxy for pub,surf,etc..

We immediately tried to pop it into a bowl of rice (uncooked! rice pudding won't work!). Unfortunately the Motorola, like the i-phone has a non removable battery, while trying to remove the rear cover, I accidently turned it on.

These phones are much cheaper than Samsungs or i-phones and come with amoured 'Gorilla Glass' fitted as standard (I am also very good at breaking screens!) so it's great to get that and waterproofing for the price ;o)

Silica gel is very much better as a desiccant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

It can be regenerated by putting it in a low oven for a couple of hours or heated at low power in a microwave, and stored in a sealed jar for use in emergency.

My old Samsung Galaxy fell in the loo but a few days in a bag of rice and it worked - never quite to the standard of pre-loo though.

Just got an upgrade to a Sony X3 and they're waterproof!!

We have the Experia Z2's, also waterproof.