canal satnav?

robert anthony

Featured Posts

I think I need a canal satnav lol. Set out from Hatton yesterday on my way to Droitwich. Approaching Lapworth juction I decided to stop at the Navigation pub for a couple of pints. Moored up just after the juction thinking no worries I'll reverse up a bit in the morning and all will be good. Got up this morning and started the boat and headed off straight ahead. It wasn't until I was about 3 hours north of Knowle locks that I realised I forgot to reverse back and get on the Stratford canal. Doh! My manly pride didn't allow me to turn round and retrace my steps so I'm now moored near Gas St Basin in Birmingham, knackered after loads of locks single handed. Feel free to take the mick, the wife already has when I told her (although now she reckons I did it deliberately to get a night out in Brum ? )

It must be something to do with the GU, I shared the first lock of the Hatton flight a few weeks back heading down the flight. Fortunately I asked where they were heading and they replied Stratford. I pointed out that they were heading the wrong way and wouldn't be able to go down the Avon as the Higher Avon hasn't been opened yet. They quickly winded and headed back up the lock.

Edited by Rob-M

It must be something to do with the GU, I shared the first lock of the Hatton flight a few weeks back heading down the flight. Fortunately I asked where they were heading and they replied Stratford. I pointed out that they were heading the wrong way and wouldn't be able to go down the Avon as the Higher Avon hasn't been opened yet. They quickly winded and headed back up the lock.

Good to know as I didn't know that either. I see a pattern emerging here

Last year as at Napton Jnc we met a hire boat that had come up from Calcutt and was surprised that not only they had gone up 6 double locks, passed an unexpected tunnel and now reached a junction. They where heading towards Oxford.

Last year as at Napton Jnc we met a hire boat that had come up from Calcutt and was surprised that not only they had gone up 6 double locks, passed an unexpected tunnel and now reached a junction. They where heading towards Oxford.

I think you meant Norton Junction, or all we all lost.....