Narrowboat Breakdown/Recovery

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Thanks I am pretty competent with the spanners but if it was something serious I would like a piece of mind having cover.

I guess this is why its good to make friends on the canal so we can tow each other back into the Marina's

. I have enough mates with boats that will willingly travel upto 50miles and tow me home and likewise I would do the same for them, breaking down is just another little adventure that turns a mundane journey into a memorable experience, I even got a scrap wagon with a mahoosive hijab on the back to lift my boat out and take it a few miles and put it on a low loader, as the low loader could not fit down the little roads to were my boat was, I was shitting bricks at the time, but it's a journey I will never forget

I think what attracts a lot of boaters is the replacement parts cover. No labour charge and just a £50 excess to pay.

• Starter Motor
  • Starter Alternator
  • Water Pump (engine only)
  • Fuel Lift Pump & Fuel Pipes
  • Gearbox & Drive Plate
  • Couplings (including aquadrive/python drive)
  • Hydraulic Pipes
  • Engine Mounts
  • Remote Mechanical Steering and Hydraulic Controls (pumps, ramps, morse)
  • Fuel Injection Pump (excluding injectors)
  • IC Igniter/CDI Unit (outboard)
  • Carburetor (outboard and petrol)

Outboards are covered for replacement of the applicable components listed above. Where an outboard is not repairable the following applies:

• Outboard up to 10 years old: £1000 towards replacement
  • Outboard older than 10 years: £500 towards replacement

I had a drive plate go. Sourced, collected and fitted within 24 hours. Normal cost would be circa £120 plus labour fitting in boatyard. Cost me £50. What would the cost be of a Fuel injector pump or a gearbox.

Worth the yearly Bronze cover. I still fix small problems myself. Alternator worked loose causing overheat and no charge. Electric fuel pump had break in live feed cable. Nice to have it there for the big things.

. I have enough mates with boats that will willingly travel upto 50miles and tow me home and likewise I would do the same for them, breaking down is just another little adventure that turns a mundane journey into a memorable experience, I even got a scrap wagon with a mahoosive hijab on the back to lift my boat out and take it a few miles and put it on a low loader, as the low loader could not fit down the little roads to were my boat was, I was shitting bricks at the time, but it's a journey I will never forget

All part of the fun, some may think differently but if having a boat means I can tinker with stuff I cant wait.

just as long as its not £big money issues.

this thread is turning into a steptoe and son moment lol

I think what attracts a lot of boaters is the replacement parts cover. No labour charge and just a £50 excess to pay.

• Starter Motor
  • Starter Alternator
  • Water Pump (engine only)
  • Fuel Lift Pump & Fuel Pipes
  • Gearbox & Drive Plate
  • Couplings (including aquadrive/python drive)
  • Hydraulic Pipes
  • Engine Mounts
  • Remote Mechanical Steering and Hydraulic Controls (pumps, ramps, morse)
  • Fuel Injection Pump (excluding injectors)
  • IC Igniter/CDI Unit (outboard)
  • Carburetor (outboard and petrol)
Outboards are covered for replacement of the applicable components listed above. Where an outboard is not repairable the following applies:

• Outboard up to 10 years old: £1000 towards replacement
  • Outboard older than 10 years: £500 towards replacement
I had a drive plate go. Sourced, collected and fitted within 24 hours. Normal cost would be circa £120 plus labour fitting in boatyard. Cost me £50. What would the cost be of a Fuel injector pump or a gearbox.

Worth the yearly Bronze cover. I still fix small problems myself. Alternator worked loose causing overheat and no charge. Electric fuel pump had break in live feed cable. Nice to have it there for the big things.

Thanks.

When our bottom pulley decided to break and fly off right on the junction at Kidsgrove (on the thursday afternoon before a bank holiday), Dave the RCR/Canal Contracting guy went so far above and beyond the call that I'm still singing his praises months later. Although he was on call for the bank holiday weekend he used our boat as a base to work from so he could keep on working on our engine between callouts. He sourced us a new pulley, took it away and machined it to accept the jabsco pulley on the front, sourced us a new oil seal, all on a bank holiday weekend! The only reason the repair took until the tuesday to complete was difficulty accessing a lathe. You'd be lucky to find a boatyard anywhere to do a repair of that magnitude on a bank holiday weekend!

From what I've heard about RCR it does seem very good value and maybe one day I'll regret not taking up membership. But I'm probably in the camp that says it's all part of the boating experience - sorting things out yourself I mean.

In my experience the vast majority of boatyards, chandlers not forgetting fellow boat owners always seem delighted to help in a crisis, so to me it's another one of the positive things about being on the canals - you don't have to wrap yourself in the security blanket of breakdown cover like you do with the modern car.

All part of the fun, some may think differently but if having a boat means I can tinker with stuff I cant wait.

You can see it like having a classic car, you spend majority of the time maintaining it for a brief period of taking it out when it's sunny..

Niel and Robbo thats the way i see it as well, and thats what i want it to be as well, i am hoping having a narrowboat is like having a landrover in many ways.

I will get some some lower end breakdown cover, but hopefully i will have some new freinds where we can help each other out as well.

Niel and Robbo thats the way i see it as well, and thats what i want it to be as well, i am hoping having a narrowboat is like having a landrover in many ways.

You'll love it then! Most boats are basic mechanically. Just some are easier to get to the workings than others!

I will get some some lower end breakdown cover, but hopefully i will have some new freinds where we can help each other out as well.

Aha, now my brother in law is a Land Rover enthusiast, does these trials and stuff and we were comparing notes the other day trying to work out who had spent more in the last 12 months me on our boat or him on his Landy - he won!

Aha, now my brother in law is a Land Rover enthusiast, does these trials and stuff and we were comparing notes the other day trying to work out who had spent more in the last 12 months me on our boat or him on his Landy - he won!

Haha, Landrovers do kinda take over peoples lives.

Its a desease. laugh.png

Haha, Landrovers do kinda take over peoples lives.

Its a desease. :lol:

I own a 1975 series three and have done so for many years, I was told when I bought it, that it would wear me out, before I could wear it out,and it's very true, it's also very simular to owning a boat, both I think you have to love or they will consume you, two steps forward and one back

I own a 1975 series three and have done so for many years, I was told when I bought it, that it would wear me out, before I could wear it out,and it's very true, it's also very simular to owning a boat, both I think you have to love or they will consume you, two steps forward and one back

Yer they definitely consume your money as well, its like you fix one thing then you find something else. they always put a smile on our face though.

The Best Landrover i had was a series 3 lightweight with a v8, its was rediculous fun to drive.

Hopefully getting a boat will have the same effect though just a tad slower lol

Sadly the proper landrovers wont be built soon as they are fazing out the 90/110's, the Uk Military dont want them now.wink.png

Enjoy your landy craftycarper.smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

breakdowns on a boat are sometimes easier to deal with yourself than say on a car ....recovery ...not a problem unsure.png or at least it wasn't when I was a lot younger and a lot fitter....I have bow hauled a 72 foot ex BCN boat many many miles (big chunk of the Birmingham and Fazely) when the first drive system decided to destroy itself. In days when things were a lot quieter I changed a prop with the aid of a convenient footbridge and a block and tackle......As others have said, I reckon it was just part (and often an enjoyable part) of boating.

breakdowns on a boat are sometimes easier to deal with yourself than say on a car ....recovery ...not a problem unsure.png or at least it wasn't when I was a lot younger and a lot fitter....I have bow hauled a 72 foot ex BCN boat many many miles (big chunk of the Birmingham and Fazely) when the first drive system decided to destroy itself. In days when things were a lot quieter I changed a prop with the aid of a convenient footbridge and a block and tackle......As others have said, I reckon it was just part (and often an enjoyable part) of boating.

That sounds like it was enjoyable.smile.png John.

RCR is there for when you are competency and time bound. If you know what you are doing or know what you are doing you don't need RCR. If you've got to get back to go to work you've got fewer options.

The majority of boaters have got neither the time nor the inclination to jump in to the bilge. If they wanted to get involved with the oily bits they'd drive something that requires pampering.(insert your own brand) They're going boating to relax. RCR aren't perfect but they do a decent job.

The primary reason that I pay for breakdown cover for my car is to have 24/7 access to a call-centre.

In 50 years, despite running older vehicles, I have only resorted to breakdown services on three occasions. Had I not had breakdown cover I would have been able to sort out the problem, at least to get me home, during normal business hours. The cost of breakdown cover has far exceeded the cost of DIY repairs.

I do not have breakdown cover for the boat. If I suffered a propulsion failure I would moor up, possibly stay onboard overnight, walk to the nearest road bridge and go home, retrieve my car or to get repair materials by taxi and public transport.

Alan

My how short a distance from base some of you people go .I am in Lancashire home is in Oxfordshire I have had need to call RCR out over the years and problems sorted with efficiency. All this gungho is great if your mechanically minded and have a butty behind with all parts and tools but in the real world the majority do not and RCR the AA etc are a big money saver when the proverbial hits the fan.

RCR is there for when you are competency and time bound. If you know what you are doing or know what you are doing you don't need RCR. If you've got to get back to go to work you've got fewer options.

The majority of boaters have got neither the time nor the inclination to jump in to the bilge. If they wanted to get involved with the oily bits they'd drive something that requires pampering.(insert your own brand) They're going boating to relax. RCR aren't perfect but they do a decent job.

But then again, mechanics who drive vehicles on the roads also have AA / RAC cover laugh.png

And you can only carry so many spares. even if your a worrier and have a cupboard full lol