alum batteries

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Best way to establish actual battery capacity is to test its capacity by charging it fully, connecting a known load and seeing how long it last. Then add the alum and repeat the charging and discharging process.

Testers use stored "maps" to calculate CCA and how long a battery should last, none of which are entirely accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has gone well flat blush.png .... any updates peterboat ?

Thank you, Afloat for a long, well composed and enjoyable read. Theoretical science is useful but it must be backed up by experiment. Every Physicist and Engineer would want to test the results including an analysis of the resultant electrolyte. I thought you may be posting from USA as you refer to sulfuric acid whilst we spell it sulphuric; OTOH you use aluminium, not the old version, aluminum as preferred in the USA.

Tony, whilst incorrectly calibrated test equipment cannot predict the total capacity of a battery or its CCA the measurements do show a relative improvement after the electrolyte change. As implied above, a similar or better result may be obtained by flushing a lead-acid battery and filling it with clean acid.

Maffi, this is not a dry cell, it is rechargeable. I fail to understand where you got that figure of 1.2V; typical for NiMh, LiIon etc. but a lead-acid cell is ~2V and 'dry', Leclanche cell ~1.5V.

There are additives that claim to 'revive' lead-acid batteries and rumors that major battery manufacturers include the same in their battery electrolyte.

I am still sceptical.

Alan ('O' level Chemistry grade 'F', Fail).

The only well composed bit from me was "Cut and pasted", the rest was .. cut and pasted!!! The post came from across the pond, not me :)

The only well composed bit from me was "Cut and pasted", the rest was .. cut and pasted!!! The post came from across the pond, not me smile.png

Mine are still running the fridge freezer ok, just from being charged by the panel.

All that seems to have been done here is to replace the old acid with a new one. The battery still remains a lead acid ( Not alkaline ), although the acid has changed, therefore so must the battery characteristics. Since it is still an acid, depending on its' strength, it must still be corrosive. If this really was magic the manufacturers would already be doing it surely ?

The only well composed bit from me was "Cut and pasted", the rest was .. cut and pasted!!! The post came from across the pond, not me smile.png

It works so what can I say how long is the question so we will see what we see. We are off for 2 weeks cruising in september so that will be the test

I keep reading this thread with interest. I definitely will have a go myself when things permit........looking forward to further updates.

Even if it only extends the life of a bank for a bit it's worth a go

Edited by John V

Hang on Peter, let's not be too hasty here!

I've just realised this is MY boat that you intend to install your experimental batteries....! :)

As you know very well I not new to experimenting myself, but is this safe?....Why don't we just switch your battery bank onto A Little Further and then we can see....thoughts....?

(also, Peter your clearly bonkers)

All the best Richard.

on the subject of additives I remember using a product called Batt-Aid tablets, they came in a tube like steradent and you added one tablet per cell, they were useful for getting an extra year or two out of a tired car battery

QUOTE-

Those pills do nowt other than contaminate the electrolyte. You might as well put a paracetamol or aspirin in there.

Or piss in them.

It will have about the same effect.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo, 15 October 2007 - 03:31 PM.

'14.7. Will conditioners, aspirins or additives will revive sulfated batteries?

Most battery experts agree that there is no evidence that conditioners, additives or aspirins provide any long-term benefits for heavily sulfated batteries. Short term gains, if any, are achieved by increasing the acidity (Specific Gravity) of the battery, which could increase the Amp Hour capacity, but also increase the water consumption and positive grid corrosion; thus, decreasing the overall service life of the battery. If a battery will not take a charge, then it is best to replace it with a healthy battery. This controversy between the additive manufacturers, battery manufacturers, and independent electrochemists has been going on for over 60 years as demonstrated in this AD-X2 Battery Additive, From a Trickle to a Torrent article from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Museum.'

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq14.htm#pulse

http://batteryfaq.org

IIRC from experience many years ago they MAY kind of work on a tired batt, for a short time... but won't do anything for hopelessly dead batt :o

Really they belong to a bygone age, these days if a batt needs replacing, just replace it... :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

'14.7. Will conditioners, aspirins or additives will revive sulfated batteries?

Most battery experts agree that there is no evidence that conditioners, additives or aspirins provide any long-term benefits for heavily sulfated batteries. Short term gains, if any, are achieved by increasing the acidity (Specific Gravity) of the battery, which could increase the Amp Hour capacity, but also increase the water consumption and positive grid corrosion; thus, decreasing the overall service life of the battery. If a battery will not take a charge, then it is best to replace it with a healthy battery. This controversy between the additive manufacturers, battery manufacturers, and independent electrochemists has been going on for over 60 years as demonstrated in this AD-X2 Battery Additive, From a Trickle to a Torrent article from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Museum.'

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq14.htm#pulse

http://batteryfaq.org

IIRC from experience many years ago they MAY kind of work on a tired batt, for a short time... but won't do anything for hopelessly dead batt ohmy.png

Really they belong to a bygone age, these days if a batt needs replacing, just replace it... smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

What about pissing in them though? ;)

As I see it if this works it is a win win situation; one less trip to the elsan point, and a working battery bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleasure John.....I'll be sure to report how long we managed to eeek out of this battery.

Even if it gives us say an extra 2 months, then at least you have the time to save the money up and shop around.

I was sceptical....but in this instance he's a right.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else whose tried this...

• 2 months later...

Cat weasel it seems to work, I'm no electrical engineer. I'm just reporting my findings

The proof of the pudding and all that. Got two tired ones coming off our boat soon so might have a play.

The proof of the pudding and all that. Got two tired ones coming off our boat soon so might have a play.

the alum or what ever it was was not expensive and i have done 3 batteries and all seem to be ok. i think the trick is to do batteries that are just starting to fail who knows

Edited by peterboat

the alum or what ever it was was not expensive and i have done 3 batteries and all seem to be ok. i think the trick is to do batteries that are just starting to fail who know

That would describe these of mine. With little cost involved, there is little to lose. Helps keep me out of trouble ;)