pay as you go moorings ?

rufus2015

Featured Posts

We are in a similar boat actually smile.png I am on a residential mooring but its crt run so they get 100% of my payment plus my cruising license which is rarely used anyway lately. Its not a competition about who pays more is it laugh.png

I've never said it was a competition. You're on CRT water, on a CRT mooring - I'm not. You use CRT facilities and services - I don't. I don't even need a licence inside the private marina - in law.

You pay a licence fee that assumes you already pay for access to CRT water and services, my licence doesn't. You are not in the "same boat".

Ok sorry I see what you are getting at. Mooring in marinas is another topic isn't it. Sorry for derailing this thread.

Bassplayer yes I think you are right that putting in electric is a service. I think this could be done in a lot of places. Some people will happily pay a fee if they can plug in and its near the shops :) seems like a good solution to me.

I like the fact that the canal is equally available to all, rich or poor. Charging for the best mooring spots would mean only those who could afford to could moor near the shops, by the best views, take advantage of the security of safe moorings, that wouldn't be an improvement would it.

I like the fact that the canal is equally available to all, rich or poor. Charging for the best mooring spots would mean only those who could afford to could moor near the shops, by the best views, take advantage of the security of safe moorings, that wouldn't be an improvement would it.

But that's effectively what happens anyway, in terms of long term moorings. You can buy a long term mooring, online or in a marina, and gain benefits such at the things you've listed. Or you can also choose not to have a mooring and save on that cost. At the moment CCing represents excellent value for money compared to some moorings.

But that's effectively what happens anyway, in terms of long term moorings. You can buy a long term mooring, online or in a marina, and gain benefits such at the things you've listed. Or you can also choose not to have a mooring and save on that cost. At the moment CCing represents excellent value for money compared to some moorings.

That is not a comparison.

Some CC'ers are definitely not poor. People have choices and can decide to CC or home moor. Marinas are not a forced cost on anyone. Making moorings pay as you go will be reducing the measure of choice open to some. System moorings should remain free and available to all regardless of their quotient of brass.

Anyway, moorings aren't free, they are already paid for in the licence.

Edited by Higgs

Those with a home mooring enjoy the same boat licence benefits as those who CC. A home mooring normally has additional benefits which you pay for. Then again you knew that already...

Surely the decision to either have a home mooring, or continuously cruise, is not about saving on cost, but on one's intended use of their boat. Either they wish to be based in one location, in which case they take a mooring, or they wish to continuously travel, and so they don't. As such there's no direct value comparision, as they're two different things.

• Greenie 1

Surely the decision to either have a home mooring, or continuously cruise, is not about saving on cost, but on one's intended use of their boat. Either they wish to be based in one location, in which case they take a mooring, or they wish to continuously travel, and so they don't. As such there's no direct value comparision, as they're two different things.

Some just will never get the hang of that and continue to think CCing is all about not paying for a mooring

Those with a home mooring enjoy the same boat licence benefits as those who CC. A home mooring normally has additional benefits which you pay for. Then again you knew that already...

That's exactly my point though. The question was posed whether VMs can be charged for, and the evidence shows that whenever a monetary charge over & above what's included in the licence fee is made, also provided is an additional service beyond the provision of the VM.

Yes agree 100%, it was more a comparison on a different timeframe. For example, if one wanted to visit Llangollen and not pay, one could simply visit in the daytime then cruise away from the area, then re-visit the next day. The cost incurred for doing so would be approx 3-4 hours fuel so its no cost saving to NOT stay in Llangollen on the paid moorings but there is an option to pay for the mooring; or not pay for the mooring (ie by cruising elsewhere).

Yes agree 100%, it was more a comparison on a different timeframe. For example, if one wanted to visit Llangollen and not pay, one could simply visit in the daytime then cruise away from the area, then re-visit the next day. The cost incurred for doing so would be approx 3-4 hours fuel so its no cost saving to NOT stay in Llangollen on the paid moorings but there is an option to pay for the mooring; or not pay for the mooring (ie by cruising elsewhere).

Or you could visit the basin in the winter for free (that's what us ccers do :) )

That's exactly my point though. The question was posed whether VMs can be charged for, and the evidence shows that whenever a monetary charge over & above what's included in the licence fee is made, also provided is an additional service beyond the provision of the VM.

The word charge is used, but it's a penalty, at £25 a day. The idea is to free up the space without cost in order to make it available for others. I don't think the 'charge' is set at a level that could qualify as a reasonable service charge. It's set at a level to put off and to discourage.

The word charge is used, but it's a penalty, at £25 a day. The idea is to free up the space without cost in order to make it available for others. I don't think the 'charge' is set at a level that could qualify as a reasonable service charge. It's set at a level to put off and to discourage.

Which visitor moorings?

Non in particular, just an overstay charging. Or have I been dreaming the whole thing.

Just to clarify, so its still free in the signposted time limit? Because if you review the OP, it concerns charging for visitor moorings (in general); not charging for overstaying at visitor moorings in particular.

Just to clarify, so its still free in the signposted time limit? Because if you review the OP, it concerns charging for visitor moorings (in general); not charging for overstaying at visitor moorings in particular.

Yes, I know the thread has been about charging for visitors moorings. I'm agin it. Can't understand why it's even being suggested. The only thing that should determine the use of a VM is, is it empty. Why should the only spaces on a visitors mooring be subject to how much money someone can feed a ticket machine. The spaces may never become available.

Yes, I know the thread has been about charging for visitors moorings. I'm agin it. Can't understand why it's even being suggested. The only thing that should determine the use of a VM is, is it empty. Why should the only spaces on a visitors mooring be subject to how much money someone can feed a ticket machine. The spaces may never become available.

Too true, in somewhere like London £25 a night is a bargain compared to the cost of renting a flat.

A solicitor once advised me to never inform the opposition or ask a question in Court if I did not already know the true answer.

Due to this discussion a dimwitted, now 'informed', CRT Manager will see an opportunity to increase income. Where there is car park near VMs the Pay-and-Display machines can easily be converted to issue tickets for boat mooring charges.

The rate could be set at a minimal 50p for 24/48 hrs to cover the cost of maintaining the machine and then escalate beyond that period. If the rate is set too high us poor, tight boaters will find somewhere else to park or moor and the scheme will fail and merely cause inconvenience to boaters and loss of trade to local businesses.

The cat is out of the bag and we all, boaters and canalside traders, will suffer the temporary consequences of yet another BW/CRT harebrained scheme. I intend to avoid any such excessive charges; I will cruise on past my favourite Pubs/Restaurants and I urge those who can afford the charges to do the same.

Alan

A solicitor once advised me to never inform the opposition or ask a question in Court if I did not already know the true answer.

Due to this discussion a dimwitted, now 'informed', CRT Manager will see an opportunity to increase income. Where there is car park near VMs the Pay-and-Display machines can easily be converted to issue tickets for boat mooring charges.

The rate could be set at a minimal 50p for 24/48 hrs to cover the cost of maintaining the machine and then escalate beyond that period. If the rate is set too high us poor, tight boaters will find somewhere else to park or moor and the scheme will fail and merely cause inconvenience to boaters and loss of trade to local businesses.

The cat is out of the bag and we all, boaters and canalside traders, will suffer the temporary consequences of yet another BW/CRT harebrained scheme. I intend to avoid any such excessive charges; I will cruise on past my favourite Pubs/Restaurants and I urge those who can afford the charges to do the same.

Alan

Top stuff, I don't usually but you got some hot rocks bro!

Yes, I know the thread has been about charging for visitors moorings. I'm agin it. Can't understand why it's even being suggested.

Playing devil's advocate which is better a 100% rise in license fee or pay as you go visitor moorings?

One thing is certain if the canal system isn't to be broken up and privatised CRT needs to raise more money. The question is how?

Playing devil's advocate which is better a 100% rise in license fee or pay as you go visitor moorings?

One thing is certain if the canal system isn't to be broken up and privatised CRT needs to raise more money. The question is how?

What makes you think they need more money? Seriously, tell me why you think they don't have sufficient funds.

What makes you think they need more money? Seriously, tell me why you think they don't have sufficient funds.

What makes you think they don't need more money? Seriously, tell me why you think they have sufficient funds.