Boat Prices am i missing something ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

The Problem is Ange its not me buying the boat its my dad and hes 65 he just wants a boat that doesnt need any work doing to it.

I cant see that happening on a used boat though.

If you are looking for a boat that needs nothing doing to it from day one then used is I would suggest not for your father.

Anybody who has owned a used boat will almost certainly tell you that virtually from day one of ownership there will almost certainly something that needs fixing or there is something that needs changing or modifying. Sometimes it can be something trivial/minor or it can be something more serious. If you don't deal with them promptly you soon have a list that seems ever growing and onerous to tackle.

Even a boat bought new will soon start to get to the point where jobs need attending to.

This is in part why we gave up boat ownership as this aspect stopped being enjoyable. When you can't spend lots of time on the boat and what time you can spend means time spent fixing things and less time boating it becomes a bit of a chore and less of a leisure pursuit.

Edited by MJG

Aintree boats do seem good value but they are certainly near the bottom of the price range and you do tend to get what you pay for. Our neighbours in the marina bought a brand new but cheap boat (one mass produced outside the UK) and have had lots of trouble with it. After the first winter they had lots of mould on the cabin front bulkhead, the front door was leaking and then split, they had to have a lot of the outside repainted, plus lots of other stuff. The boat looked all shiny when new but was just not really fit for purpose, too many shortcuts with the bits you can't immediately see.

So I would continue to look for something second hand but avoid Whilton and their sister marina Venetian as they tend to be at the bottom of the second hand market. Certainly when we looked at some boats at Whilton we got the impression that someone had died in the boat, and they had just dragged the corpse out and then put it up for sale!

Rugby boat sales, ABNB, Great Haywood (although I personally dislike the latter) are good places to look for better quality boats.

If you are looking for a boat that needs nothing doing to it from day one then used is I would suggest not for your father.

Anybody who has owned a used boat will almost certainly tell you that virtually from day one of ownership there will almost certainly something that needs fixing or there is something that needs changing or modifying. Sometimes it can be something trivial/minor or it can be something more serious. If you don't deal with them promptly you soon have a list that seems ever growing and onerous to tackle.

Even a boat bought new will soon start to get to the point where jobs need attending to.

This is in part why we gave up boat ownership as this aspect stopped being enjoyable. When you can't spend lots of time on the boat and what time you can spend means time spent fixing things and less time boating it becomes a bit of a chore and less of a leisure pursuit.

Thanks MJG, my dad just wants to spend some quality time on the boat and not have to deal with the Maintanance side, the idea is i live on it full time eventually and maintain it and sort all the issues out myself, he will only be on the boat a couple of days a week at most and the occasional holiday, hes not very well at the moment so i think he just want some good times quickly without all the hassle which i can totally understand.

i need something to keep me busy and living on a Boat will hope do that.

thanks for your postsmile.png

edited:feel like i was waffling......as usual.

Edited by brassedoff

If you buy a new boat it doesn't mean it will be trouble free just (hopefully) covered on the warranty. I think it is fair to say that nobody as ever taken delivery of a perfect /no problems new boat ... it is all down to how the builder deals with the warranty issues. Good luck with your search.

Aintree boats do seem good value but they are certainly near the bottom of the price range and you do tend to get what you pay for. Our neighbours in the marina bought a brand new but cheap boat (one mass produced outside the UK) and have had lots of trouble with it. After the first winter they had lots of mould on the cabin front bulkhead, the front door was leaking and then split, they had to have a lot of the outside repainted, plus lots of other stuff. The boat looked all shiny when new but was just not really fit for purpose, too many shortcuts with the bits you can't immediately see.

So I would continue to look for something second hand but avoid Whilton and their sister marina Venetian as they tend to be at the bottom of the second hand market. Certainly when we looked at some boats at Whilton we got the impression that someone had died in the boat, and they had just dragged the corpse out and then put it up for sale!

Rugby boat sales, ABNB, Great Haywood (although I personally dislike the latter) are good places to look for better quality boats.

Thanks Nicknorman for the info on Aintree, I suppose anything can look shiny but not be up to scratch.

ANBN seems to have some nice looking boats they have one called echo which looks ok, but to be honest i know naffing at the moment as to what looks nice but is a pile of poo, i did not like the inside of echo particularly but the engine room hit the spot.

Yer Whilton and Venitian Marina i will say nuffing, Rigby Boat Sales seemed expensive but i can only judge that off the year not the fit out or the hull like ive been told about. i think maybe i was making the mistake of looking at the year in relation to the price and not thinking about the boat quality.

Hey the sad thing is you never know, maybe some people die on boats i imagine it very possible especially in the middle of no where.

i saw a boat that upsett me, it was a lovely boat that had been passed down apparently, the owner had died and the boat was quite new, quite upsetting really lifes pretty cruel to us in the end.

thanks for the info. sorry to end on a misery note LOL

Edited by brassedoff

If you buy a new boat it doesn't mean it will be trouble free just (hopefully) covered on the warranty. I think it is fair to say that nobody as ever taken delivery of a perfect /no problems new boat ... it is all down to how the builder deals with the warranty issues. Good luck with your search.

I can see that totally, lets just hope they dont go willy bankrupt within the warranty, cough or the build.

I dont mind fiddling, as long as they fix the big stuff.

thanks for the good luck

Edited by brassedoff

Quite right.

And another thing about warranties. If you could give the same brand new boat to two different customers, each would come up with different post-delivery snagging lists.

Same applies to BSS and MoT. Give the same boat or car to different examiners and get different results. I know this can happen with cars from personal experience!

I can vouch for ABNB and Rugby Boats - Dominic, the manager(?) of Rugby Boats is, I believe, a forum member here, and may chip in when he sees the thread. I believe most, if not all, of his customers are very satisfied.

ABNB will be a bit pricey, but they don't knowingly sell rubbish.

I can seriously recommend anything built by Hudson, but they are no longer building new, since Steve Hudson died recently. I have a 15-year old one of his, and I have never had a moment's problem with her, apart from batteries and calorifier replacements, none of which were anything to do with the boat manufacturer.

Other quality boats are available, but you have to pay for them, no-one gives them away at bargain prices. If you want cheap, I'd say buy old with a good survey.

All boats contain equipment made by third parties, and things go wrong with them when they get old. If you buy a well-built shell with a good engine, it will outlive you and your children.

Don't listen to Mike the Boilerman though - he likes lots of old stuff with oil spitting everywhere and waking the entire neighbourhood.

JOKE MIKE, HONEST!cheers.gif

Edited by Loafer

I took my specs off and peered and squinted but dunt think that passes the clean test....

I think it would now.

It's a classic case of seeing a boats potential (if you have deep enough pockets or the skills to sort it yourself)

I can vouch for ABNB and Rugby Boats - Dominic, the manager(?) of Rugby Boats is, I believe, a forum member here, and may chip in when he sees the thread. I believe most, if not all, of his customers are very satisfied.

ABNB will be a bit pricey, but they don't knowingly sell rubbish.

I can seriously recommend anything built by Hudson, but they are no longer building new, since Steve Hudson died recently. I have a 15-year old one of his, and I have never had a moment's problem with her, apart from batteries and calorifier replacements, none of which were anything to do with the boat manufacturer.

Other quality boats are available, but you have to pay for them, no-one gives them away at bargain prices. If you want cheap, I'd say buy old with a good survey.

All boats contain equipment made by third parties, and things go wrong with them when they get old. If you buy a well-built shell with a good engine, it will outlive you and your children.

Don't listen to Mike the Boilerman though - he likes lots of old stuff with oil spitting everywhere and waking the entire neighbourhood.

JOKE MIKE, HONEST!cheers.gif

Thanks for letting me know about Rugby Boats, some of the youtube boats look quite tastey.

Glad your boats doing you proud loafer.

Spitting oil and spoke are all part of the fun i think, not that i would want it every morning lol, no offence to Mike.

My land neighbours knocked on my door once, why is your landrover engine so loud every bloody morning, i explained to them its a Perkins its not my fault Tra. lol

Edited by brassedoff

Just a quick question am ok still using the forum i get pretty paranoid about stuff, especially after i dropped my marbles last night.

Dude you're doing fine.

You've made 90+ posts, and only one of them bothered yourself, nobody else really.

Please tell admin you've changed your mind. We've all had our 'moments' on here.

And for what it's worth - on your original post:

Second hand boats are often seriously overpriced. This is because their owners absolutely love them and secretly don't really want to sell them.

Classic scenario: husband and wife own a boat. It costs a lot. Wife would prefer to go on holiday to Barbados. Husband is nagged into agreeing to sell the boat. Husband puts it on brokerage at high price. He then spends a year trying to convince wife to let him keep it.

+1 for both of those points.

When you have owned a boat for a few years it becomes your boat and no amount of derisive comments will persuade you that it is in any way inadequate or inferior. "A boat is not just for Christmas!".

Alan

+1 for both of those points.

When you have owned a boat for a few years it becomes your boat and no amount of derisive comments will persuade you that it is in any way inadequate or inferior. "A boat is not just for Christmas!".

Alan

i have never had a boat but i know what its like to get attached, it becomes a part of us and our past.

hope i did not offend anyone talking about prices of boats in comparison what they mean to their owners.

thats a different type of value that means more than money...................................

sorry

It's OK. Nobody noticed...

wink.png

lol yer only 1700 lol