Speeding Cyclist injures Dog on towpath

Dharl

Featured Posts

This PopCorn is chewy Athy where the hell did you get it from.judge.gif salt n shake crap.

See what I mean? Blame me.biggrin.png

Perhaps we just like getting our teeth into a good row discussion.

You may, in perusing the various topics on CWF, sometimes encounter mystifying references to "popcorn". This means that an entrenched argument is developing which may be fun to watch, so take your seat, open your bag of popcorn and behold the spectacle.

Sometimes it is better to observe than to intervene. I'm sure you've heard the proverb "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be shat on from all sides".

I have no problem with people who insist cyclists are free loading, muesli crunching, tree huggers who look like superannuated Saveloys and are out to mow us down when they aren't campaigning to take our Hummer's from us, any more than I accept people who think canal boaters are frustrated mariners with a Captain Pugwash fixation living out a C19th fantasy in a muddy ditch. Both are identifiable as unalloyed prejudice.

It's when the prejudice passes itself off as a reasonable response to events, and grows a backstory that my BS detector starts to twitch. Having satisfied myself that we're dealing with enmity and jaundice, rather than a real and immanent threat to life and limb, I'm happy to leave the thread to more determined voices.

• Greenie 2

I have no problem with people who insist cyclists are free loading, muesli crunching, tree huggers who look like superannuated Saveloys and are out to mow us down when they aren't campaigning to take our Hummer's from us, any more than I accept people who think canal boaters are frustrated mariners with a Captain Pugwash fixation living out a C19th fantasy in a muddy ditch. Both are identifiable as unalloyed prejudice.

It's when the prejudice passes itself off as a reasonable response to events, and grows a backstory that my BS detector starts to twitch. Having satisfied myself that we're dealing with enmity and jaundice, rather than a real and immanent threat to life and limb, I'm happy to leave the thread to more determined voices.

Superb post have a greenie.

That may be part of the problem. Cyclists negotiate other tow path users best if they keep doing exactly as were before. Invariably if I ring a bell, say Good Morning or whatever, the sound will send people scattering in all directions. Jumping out the way is the worst thing you can do, because if the rider is an aggressive one you have a 50/50 chance of making the wrong call and ending up on his handlebars.

I agree with Stephen Sugg's point, most cyclists are okay, but there's a tendency to see them as a bad lot because political correctness and good taste has removed more traditional targets from tabloid disapproval. People need someone to hate, and cyclists provide a ready and all too vulnerable target for them to exercise their contempt for other human beings on.

I agree with this, I don't have a bell as I find them incredibly obnoxious, but I also don't warn people I am about to pass from behind them if there is space for me to get past. Much easier/safer for all to get past when people aren't scattering about unexpectedly like a herd of cats.

Yes indeed CW, although I have never met a cyclist who looked much like a saveloy.

No, but oddly I once saw a saveloy that reminded me of a cyclist.

No, but oddly I once saw a saveloy that reminded me of a cyclist.

It hurtled along the chip shop counter knocking all the chips out of the way?

(Said he, contentiously).

I agree with this, I don't have a bell as I find them incredibly obnoxious, but I also don't warn people I am about to pass from behind them if there is space for me to get past. Much easier/safer for all to get past when people aren't scattering about unexpectedly like a herd of cats.

That sounds dangerous. they could very well inadvertently wander off line into your path if they aren't aware of your presence. You should get, and use a bell. Two tings is a polite way a telling folk that your are there and hope to pass.

Bob

Many pedestrians sling a deaf'un at the sound of a bicycle bell, and deliberately block a cyclist just because they can. That's precisely the same mind set that makes some riders approach at 15mph and shout get out of the way. They're self-centred, entitled gits who assume the world revolves round them alone. Fortunately for all of us, they aren't too common.

YES, I encounter these once in a while.

I just get off my bike and walk a few paces behind them, making a few odd (non bikey) noises here and there. The change of pace to that of a pedestrian is actually oddly refreshing.

Eventually they can't resist looking behind to see WTF is going on, at which point I politely say "Good Afternoon, may I come past?"

That sounds dangerous. they could very well inadvertently wander off line into your path if they aren't aware of your presence. You should get, and use a bell. Two tings is a polite way a telling folk that your are there and hope to pass.

Bob

agree.

I'm hard of hearing and it is incredibly unpleasant to have a cyclist suddenly appear beside me.

2 tings is the way to go, and if you don't have a tinger, just go 'ting-ting' in your best soprano voice.

Why do cyclists wear lycra on a tow path LOL, surely its not for speed or is it. ?

I dont mean to fuel the argument /

i mean Discussion.

personally i would not touch lycra with a barge pole.

Lycra is actually the most comfortable thing to wear cycling. It wicks away moisture and because it's tight doesn't flap and catch on anything.

agree.

I'm hard of hearing and it is incredibly unpleasant to have a cyclist suddenly appear beside me.

2 tings is the way to go, and if you don't have a tinger, just go 'ting-ting' in your best soprano voice.

Some of the objections to bike bells seem to arise because some riders don't ring the bell until they get really close. Then it can possibly be interpreted as a "get out of my way" signal.

I prefer to ring the bell when I'm quite a long way off, where I think it is more likely to be viewed as a polite warning rather than an aggressive action.

I'm getting quite good at spotting earphones from a distance, as well...

I think all towpath bikes should be ridden with a playing card pegged to the rear fork, so it clatters on the spokes as the wheel goes around.

We used to ride around like this as kids and there was no mistaking one of us on a bike coming!

Bob

Indeed it could happen, liklihood is low though in my opinion, the sorts of gaps I'm talking about would require a fair old 90deg wander. In my opinion it works out safer and less intrusive to just glide past while saying good morning/afternoon/evening. I ain't going to get a obnoxcious bell, I'd rather stick to my own voice.

I think all towpath bikes should be ridden with a playing card pegged to the rear fork, so it clatters on the spokes as the wheel goes around.

We used to ride around like this as kids and there was no mistaking one of us on a bike coming!

Hope Pro 2 rear hub produces the same volume of clicking when coasting

Indeed it could happen, liklihood is low though in my opinion, the sorts of gaps I'm talking about would require a fair old 90deg wander. In my opinion it works out safer and less intrusive to just glide past while saying good morning/afternoon/evening. I ain't going to get a obnoxcious bell, I'd rather stick to my own voice.

Not so sure about the 90% wander. If I am walking on the towpath (or any path) and see a puddle or anything else I want to avoid, I will step to the side which is the equivalent, I would think of a 90% wander. I too am hard of hearing but a bike bell seems to be a pitch I can hear . A ping from a bit back is great but as so often happens the ping only comes when the bike is right behind me and the rider has relied on me hearing their wheel noise. It certainly raises the heart rate when I look behind and find I have to step out of the way smartish. OK, I know folk say I could stand my ground but I am not that brave :-)

haggis

Not so sure about the 90% wander. If I am walking on the towpath (or any path) and see a puddle or anything else I want to avoid, I will step to the side which is the equivalent, I would think of a 90% wander. I too am hard of hearing but a bike bell seems to be a pitch I can hear . A ping from a bit back is great but as so often happens the ping only comes when the bike is right behind me and the rider has relied on me hearing their wheel noise. It certainly raises the heart rate when I look behind and find I have to step out of the way smartish. OK, I know folk say I could stand my ground but I am not that brave :-)

haggis

Yep and those sort of side steps can be anticipated and would be an example of when I'd slow to less than walking pace and politely ask if I could get past. Obviously you shouldn't need to jump out of the way, nor should you stand our ground, everyone should just be nice to one another.

Mmm

Yep and those sort of side steps can be anticipated and would be an example of when I'd slow to less than walking pace and politely ask if I could get past. Obviously you shouldn't need to jump out of the way, nor should you stand our ground, everyone should just be nice to one another.

Mmm, you reckon you can see through me and see what is lying on the ground in front of me which I might want to step round, and slow down etc. ? As I said, I am a bit hard of hearing and while I seem to be able to pick up the ping of a bike bell, a human voice is not too easy for me unless I know someone is speaking ie I can see them. As soon as I am aware that a cyclist wants to get past I step to the side and give them room. Most cyclists then say "thank you" which is appreciated and is answered by "you're welcome". We just all have to see the other tow path users point of view and live together but this becomes difficult when a bike comes up behind at a great rate of knots and expects the pedestrian to get out of the way.

Haggis

Edited by haggis