Insurance renewal again

spannerman

Featured Posts

I have gone through the yearly ordeal of obtaining insurance quotes for my boat and now have a selection of contenders similar in price

I have searched the forums for previous threads regarding recommended insurers but the companies I have quotes from dont seem to appear - it has got me thinking that maybe they dont get recommended for a reason !

Does anyone have anything to say regarding the following insurers

Haven Kox Johnson

Saga

Newton Crum

Thanks in advance

Spannerman

NB Thetis

All been mentioned before and the usual synopsis is you get what the small print says when you make a claim.

Most if not all 'insurers' are in fact agents and the actual under writing is done by others.

Eventually getting to Lloyds of London. rolleyes.gif

just insured ours , try GJW direct in Liverpool 01514738000 .easy to deal with and a reasonable price, I tried Newto Crum , they didnt even reply witha quote . tried saga who were busy but informed me they would ring me back within the next 24 hours1

I've used GJW Direct for many years. Always easy to deal with, but cannot say what they would be like if you have to make a claim though. I haven't heard anything detrimental so I guess they're OK in that respect.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

GJW hike the premium every year to way above what they'd charge a new customer. And when you do a price check for same info as a new customer and challenge them they immediately price match. Very tiresome. Switched to Collidge and partners who are lovely to deal with, and more ethical on the premium setting. This I hope would make them better to deal with than GJW in event of a claim

We are with Haven Knox Johnson and have been for a few years, they seem very professional though we haven't ever claimed, but they do always email/text with details of what to do when there are severe weather conditions if you have a need to claim.

They are also very competitive year on year.

just insured ours , try GJW direct in Liverpool 01514738000 .easy to deal with and a reasonable price, I tried Newto Crum , they didnt even reply witha quote . tried saga who were busy but informed me they would ring me back within the next 24 hours1

I've used GJW Direct for many years. Always easy to deal with, but cannot say what they would be like if you have to make a claim though. I haven't heard anything detrimental so I guess they're OK in that respect.

Ken

GJW hike the premium every year to way above what they'd charge a new customer. And when you do a price check for same info as a new customer and challenge them they immediately price match. Very tiresome. Switched to Collidge and partners who are lovely to deal with, and more ethical on the premium setting. This I hope would make them better to deal with than GJW in event of a claim

We insured our boat with GJW and had to make a substantial claim following a break-in and vandalism - c. £2,000 for new windows plus £800 for stolen and damaged contents. They were exemplary - sorted promptly and courteously via phone and email with no quibbling over anything (even the £300 or so to replace the one remaining unbroken window, in order not be left with an "odd one out"). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and will certainly choose them again when we buy our next boat.

• 3 months later...

We are with Haven Knox Johnson and have been for a few years, they seem very professional though we haven't ever claimed, but they do always email/text with details of what to do when there are severe weather conditions if you have a need to claim.

They are also very competitive year on year.

That's good to know. I'm with Towergate Mardon who have quoted me £450 renewal as a liveaboard CC'er. Haven Knox Johnson have quoted £210!!!!

Just checking the small print to make sure it covers all I want and then it's goodbye Towergate.

That's good to know. I'm with Towergate Mardon who have quoted me £450 renewal as a liveaboard CC'er. Haven Knox Johnson have quoted £210!!!!

Just checking the small print to make sure it covers all I want and then it's goodbye Towergate.

I am with Towergate and get the feeling prices are rising a bit to fast. I only picked up mine was running out a day before renew so basically said another 12 months of the same. Set a reminder now so will look round next year.

Towergate have had a rough patch and might even have been taken over.

£450 sounds a little high but a lot depends on the value of you boat (and contents)

Ours is also with Towergate and is about £400 and has not gone up for a few years (it went down a fraction this year) but I last renewed in March so maybe I am in for a shock next March.

I last searched around a few years ago and Towergate were competitive then..

Assuming £400 is the going rate then £200 sounds a bit suspect???

Bad insurance is a waste of money,, better to save the money and just get third party.

Have a good read of the small print and try to talk to somebody who has made a claim.

...............Dave

I now use Craftinsure an on-line outfit after Towergate Mardon tried to make me responsible for other boats safety for a trip through London. Then Saga kept bombarding me with junk mail and Newton Crumb (who I insure my motor dingy with years ago) refused to cover for unaccompanied boat use by family members.

I have not heard any bad things about Crafatinsure and my premium for 2015-16 is £113 Comprehensive insurance for a £25000 value leisure boat.