Novice Boat Buyer - First Viewing - Help Required Please!

Featured Posts

I'm completely new here, so first of all hi everyone!

I've been doing some research into living on a narrow boat for a couple of years now after doing many canal holidays since I was a young'un (I think my first was when I was 2 or 3). I think I've got a good idea of what I'm looking for, but now it's got to the stage of actually viewing it seems like there's so much more to take into consideration.

I've set my budget at around 40-50k, with room for a little extra if I feel like I'm getting something extra special.

The sort of things I'm looking for are:

Semi-Trad or Cruiser Stern

55ft-58ft ideally

Pump out toilet preferably

A nice open feeling saloon, L shape dinette with space for free standing sofa bed etc

1 fixed double

A nice clean looking wooden interior (similar to the one linked below)

I went to have my first proper viewing at New and Used Boat Co in Droitwich Spa for the narrowboat Tibertius, http://www.newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boat.php?boatID=518

It seemed like the first one that ticked all the boxes that hadn't sold within a few days of me seeing the advert. I didn't think the main picture did much for it compared to others I've seen, but the interior looked great and the layout was exactly what I'm looking for (minus a solid fuel stove, but there is a space for one to be fitted)

So on viewing I decided I liked the feel of the boat and compared to holiday boats I've been on in the past felt a lot more roomy. The exterior was also nice and shiny as she'd just had a new paint job.

Not having a clue what I'm really looking at below the surface (of the fit-out, of the the water level, of anything much really at the minute) and not knowing anyone who knows much more than I do about boats, I could do with a little help!

Just on this first example I would like to get an idea of what people think a boat like this would be worth. I personally think they have the price set a bit high compared to what I have seen similar (but unsuitable for me) boats advertised at. Speaking to the office I found out she would need blacking this year, but they didn't seem to be able to find out when the engine was last serviced, even after calling the owner. They also didn't have any information on the engine hours, and we had returned to the office a mile or so away from the boat when I thought about asking.

I understand a boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and everyone's tastes will differ greatly, I would just like to see what people think so I don't end up getting ripped off when I start to make offers after viewing more boats.

Sorry if any of this is unclear, I work nights and I'm typing all this out in between what I'm supposed to be doing. Best get back to it! Thanks in advance.

Yeah I thought it looked a bit much, but wasn't sure by exactly how much. The 'unknowns' are apparently because they are still waiting for the information from the owner, who is selling shortly after purchase due to illness. In all my searching over the last year or so I haven't really seen any boats like this in the 30k range. Do you think this is just because they've been asking well over the odds for them or perhaps I'm being too specific on the type of interior I want?

Liverpool Boats were prolific shell builders operating towards the budget end of the scale. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them (we had one and it was fine) but it should influence the price. However, their fit-outs were done by a variety of different firms who each operated in their own style and to their own standards. This looks like one of the better ones.

I would think that the asking price is approximately the same as the price would have been when new in 2004, and is therefore optimistic. But the advert does have the facility for you to make an offer, so why not do so if you like the boat (but offer SUBJECT TO SURVEY!)

Edit: do you intend to live on board? If so, I would suggest that you might find the boat a bit light on storage space.

Edited by Athy

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.

I do intend to live on board, with a minimal amount of 'stuff' in tow, even for a narrow boat.

I'm going to get in as many viewings as I can over the next few weeks and months. If after all that, this one still seems like a good option and is still available, I may make them an offer at the cheeky end of the scale.

My advise would be look at loads of boats and then look some more,take your time" it's a buyers market".the more you look the more you learn,ask loads of questions,research on other forums,don't be shy!,!,,

Good luck Jim

Choosing a boat is very much a case of personal choice, (heart), tempered with survey etc (head). What others have said above and I personally would prefer a liveaboard boat to have more than one source of heating. We have Eberspacher (which we rarely use, disliking its noisiness) and a solid fuel fire. We paid less than that 3 years ago for a boat that is 2006 and in my opinion a better shell than Liverpool. We have a little more storage than you and it sometimes feels a bit tight for the 2 of us.

On the other hand it does look a nice tidy boat interior.

As others have said I would recommend looking at lots of boats - it really does help you get a feel for what will work for you. Also we did the old thing of listing the things we really would like - it did help us cut down the boats available into a manageable number. Although we did also go and look at some that didnt fit our wishlist, just to be sure we weren't missing anything.

Look at loads, go away think, and think again. Be hard hearted when making an offer (be cheeky and bold). Any offer subject to survey. Results of survey will no doubt give further room for haggling. Be there with the surveyor.

Live aboard? Look at storage space. Power sources and generation. Water storage and heating.

Examine all soft furnishings for damp signs..

Be bloody minded!

I'll be blunt. That's nowhere near £52000 worth of boat. The seller is on another planet.

Or in Scotland, selling because her husband has just passed away.

Or am I being too cynical?

Thanks all. I'm in no rush to buy. As far as I know I won't be homeless if I don't buy the next thing that comes along, so I have plenty of time to test the water (and make sure most of said water is on the outside of my potential purchase).

Seems like there's a huge amount of information on this site alone which should keep me occupied while I find 'the one'.

Much as you think you know what you want it's more likely that you don't, - yet.

If you spend that sort of money on your first boat you will probably make a big mistake unless you are very lucky.

The boat in question is a good example. paying anywhere near that price would be financial suicide.

Far better to buy a cheap boat, sail it for a year or two and gain some real experience that will place you in a much better position to spend that £50k.

I'll be blunt. That's nowhere near £52000 worth of boat. The seller is on another planet.

It might be the broker.

My boat was asking £18k, and I viewed it 3 days after the price was dropped, and offered there and then. The broker was quite upset that his fee would be small because the owner was selling it too cheap. Apparently, it had been on the market for a while, and started at over £30k. The owner eventually told the broker to drop it to £18k because he needed/wanted the money fast.

Was it ever worth £30k+? .... No! Was the seller wrong to believe the broker when he suggested a price over £30k?... No! Was the broker on a different planet?.... Yes!! Would it have sold if it was asking say, £25k? .... almost certainly!

From my experience looking at other boats, I agree, the seller is kite flying. I'd say that if the OP went on Apollo Duck, set the filters to "maximum price" of £35,000, he'd find plenty of boats which are just as good.

My advise would be look at loads of boats and then look some more,take your time" it's a buyers market".the more you look the more you learn,ask loads of questions,research on other forums,don't be shy!,!,,

Good luck Jim

This - we bought our first boat in March having started our journey into ownership nearly a whole year ago!

We wanted to buy the first boat we saw - it was lovely - still is, but it's still on the market now, I think maybe the price is too high? So really really look around and you'll know when you find the right boat. Good luck! Boat shopping is really fun, and something I miss a little bit.

We ended up spending under budget, by nearly 10k and I am glad we did, I love our boat to pieces, but it certainly is a 'first boat' and we're learning every day and working out what we'll do for the next one to make it work even better to suit our lifestyle.

Have a play with Apollo duck using the advanced search and see what's around for your budget and above it. If you do it regularly you start to get a feel for values and the overpriced ones become more obvious and the odd bargain as well. Good luck in your search