First Boat Awesomeness :) !!!

Larentia

Featured Posts

Congrats to you both..have happy times ahead....although cannot live on my boat due to house renovation issues I go when I can and every time I drive down the final track I can feel a huge smile breaking out..Molly Dog sits up and I believe she's laughing...she has taken to boat so well though dislikes tunnels and locks. Its the best thing Ive ever done and I hope all goes well..

You might feel the same, but as Richard said, you'll probably have had ups and downs and felt differently during the intervening period.

It just made me laugh that you were telling someone else that they wouldn't regret it when you're in the first flush of enthusiasm and don't even know that about yourself. Lots of people do regret it and give up after a few years.

All I can say is that after 15 years I have mixed feelings, mostly positive.

It is true, I am in the first flush of enthusiasm but living aboard is all I hoped it would be and more. For the first time in nine years I have peace and quiet and can't hear my neighbours through the walls at all hours of the day and night. I know there will be times when things go wrong and I will feel fed up but all I have to do is think about the hell I had when I was in my house and all will be well.

Congratulations! Where abouts in Berks will you be based?

We got ours in March, it's been a huge learning curve (thanks to all the lovely lads and ladies on here for their never ending help!) I'm sure you'll love it!

I'll be at the Thames & Kennet by about 18/19 July, suits me really well for this year at least and the guys in the office are so friendly and helpful.

I'll be at the Thames & Kennet by about 18/19 July, suits me really well for this year at least and the guys in the office are so friendly and helpful.

Agreed.

I used to moor there but eventually escaped out onto the cut :)

I love your profile pic MissyLisaMarie. Is it a photo of you? :D

MtB

Ah yes I remember now! :) we shall be neighbours!

Congratulations. We have lived on our boat since January 2012 now. Still living it, hope you find it as good as we do. Like you I found these forums invaluable when we were hunting for information and advice. Got so much from here.

Ah, I wondered if it was some sort of shellfish...

Oh, I see - like a snail you mean

Did you know snails hop? It's pretty obvious when you think about it, them only having one foot

Richard

Like a tripod, only less

Richard

Nah. It's a dufflepud.

N

Welcome to the great band of liveaboards. It is such fun!

Cruise whenever you can.

N

Oh, I see - like a snail you mean

Did you know snails hop? It's pretty obvious when you think about it, them only having one foot

Richard

Ah yes, that reminds me of my dad who claims to be able to jump higher than a house... using a similar sort of logic.

So last weekend I saw her and made an offer which was accepted. The survey was carried out today, which I went along to. All good news, just wanted to share that and thank you all for I have learnt just so so much from silently searching (lurking?) in the vaults of this forum. The Search function thing is a bit quirky but it does work. Big smiles day :)

Well done and enjoy your boat. I've been around boats all my life and owned them since 1987. Once ownership gets into your blood you never want to be without one, so be prepared for a life sentence.

MLM in not sow far from Thames and Kennet,in fact next door on the handstanding at butcher marine wating for some engine work to be done,so back in the water sometime next month.Im being kept busy ripping-out all the unnecessary stuff and making her what we want,doing as much as I can whilst on the hard standing,

Your right the folks at the marina are most helpful,when you arrive come and say hello.Jim

Yes, it's me though happy to say I'm not a borrower, actually the opposite at 6ft tall. I'm a photographer, use a big monopod to do elevated photography... and take awesome selfies sometimes just because!

At first I thought that black shape was your shadow.

I'm a total beginner at photography, but wouldn't it have been easier to get that shot by having a friend about 5 floors up a building take it?

But maybe where you are there are less tall buildings to choose from...

Anyway, ignore me because I'm just jealous, not yet being in a position to buy a boat.

At first I thought that black shape was your shadow.

I'm a total beginner at photography, but wouldn't it have been easier to get that shot by having a friend about 5 floors up a building take it?

But maybe where you are there are less tall buildings to choose from...Anyway, ignore me because I'm just jealous, not yet being in a position to buy a boat.

I was photographing something else but I turned the camera face down because I do little things like that sometimes just because.

I was photographing something else but I turned the camera face down because I do little things like that sometimes just because.

Gurls can be like that! Who was the little girl in folk stories who does things "just because"? Was that YOU?!

And like Peter X, I'm wondering if the dark triangle the dress you are wearing, or a shadow...

You might feel the same, but as Richard said, you'll probably have had ups and downs and felt differently during the intervening period.

It just made me laugh that you were telling someone else that they wouldn't regret it when you're in the first flush of enthusiasm and don't even know that about yourself. Lots of people do regret it and give up after a few years.

All I can say is that after 15 years I have mixed feelings, mostly positive.

I'm a month away from 16 years living aboard. Mixed feelings along the way, one moment when the decision to chuck it all in looked like the best one but, over all, I don't ever want to live any other way. It's who I am. In another 9 years I'll have spent more time living on a boat than I did living on land.

Picking up our boat on saturday!!! for Her maiden voyage in our hands! will be a slow crawl up the kennet avon with work in london during the week! looking forward being in oxfordshire this time next year!!!