Enforcement on the Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

It certainly isn't a place I would want to, moor at, live at or bring children up at!

Even more reason to find somewhere else more suitable within commuting distance of work. blink.png

It's beyond me why anyone would pay to moor there wacko.png

because it's seasonal. Most months its idylic. In the problem months, I like to move out and cruise a bit.

Dean: Idle curiosity but can you actually get up the Rochdale? For a narrowboat we thought it was stunning but for a broad canal even allowing for towpaths that can be moved it looks incredibly tight in places above and below the waterline.

PS I must admit we avoided stopping in Islington Marina but we were told that Islington Marina is far calmer nowadays, is that true? If that development was to be completed it looks like it could be a great place to moor (in between boating)

Edited by RichardN

Dean: Idle curiosity but can you actually get up the Rochdale? For a narrowboat we thought it was stunning but for a broad canal even allowing for towpaths that can be moved it looks incredibly tight in places above and below the waterline.

PS I must admit we avoided stopping in Islington Marina but we were told that Islington Marina is far calmer nowadays, is that true? If that development was to be completed it looks like it could be a great place to moor (in between boating)

There have been a lot of visiting boats to New Islington in the past month...and it has been idylic, but with the warmer weather it turns into a bit of a party area...and since my mooring is the closest to the public...it gets really loud with mothers swearing at their kids, and booze ups etc...finally it just made me snap and decide we would try and go cruising each year instead...lot of building work starting up now again..so noise levels..dust etc..

Regarding the Rochdale...the water levels are difficult...and not much passing distance (I don't think 2 widebeams could pass one another for sure....)...but once you're on it, there's no way to turn around until you're quite some way....and with reports of some boaters coming the other way complaining about things round their prop etc, it doesn't really excite me...I wouldn't leave the wife and kids alone for example..whereas moored in Sale or somewhere nice...you feel more secure leaving wife and kids alone.

It certainly isn't a place I would want to, moor at, live at or bring children up at!

Even more reason to find somewhere else more suitable within commuting distance of work. :blink:

It's beyond me why anyone would pay to moor there :wacko:

Everything is so simple in your world Rachel, you never seem to put a foot wrong!

I happen to know Dean, I know how hard he has worked for his family. Circumstances are now making his life difficult but Dean is trying his best to sort it & flip comments from yourself really aren't helping.

• Greenie 1

Everything is so simple in your world Rachel, you never seem to put a foot wrong!

I happen to know Dean, I know how hard he has worked for his family. Circumstances are now making his life difficult but Dean is trying his best to sort it & flip comments from yourself really aren't helping.

We make choices which suit our lifestyle.

It would seem very much that Dean's choices are not suiting his lifestyle or family life. He knew what the limitations would be when he chose to moor his boat there. That was his choice.

Quite why he now wants things changing to suit his lifestyle choices is a mystery. It doesn't really work like that.

I agree I have met Dean a few times and visited his boat. I find with Rachel it is best to accept she knows very little but likes to spout a lot of nonsense. I moored in Islington for a few weeks and found it fine and a great location for Manchester City Centre

Once again...needs to be said...this is not a woe is me thread. It is simply highlighting "how things are now with new enforcement and T&Cs " compared to "how things in Manchester have been in the past 3 yrs". I have seen many people leave New Islington marina in those 3 yrs. I've also seen many of the residents attending numerous meetings with the council, police etc... I've also seen many boats moored in Castlefield, without any worries.

The new enforcement is forcing the issue to breaking point...and it'll be interesting to see where it leads. If I'm not able to secure some sort of Bridgewater licence...I may have to look at moving to the Weaver etc, but really don't want to do it for no other reason that some folk in boardrooms aren't in touch with the real lives of boaters outside their windows.

some folk in boardrooms aren't in touch with the real lives of boaters outside their windows.

This is the bit that's causing the tensions Dean. There are rules which are being applied. It looks like you don't want to comply with them. Am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

Richard

Once again...needs to be said...this is not a woe is me thread. It is simply highlighting "how things are now with new enforcement and T&Cs " compared to "how things in Manchester have been in the past 3 yrs". I have seen many people leave New Islington marina in those 3 yrs. I've also seen many of the residents attending numerous meetings with the council, police etc... I've also seen many boats moored in Castlefield, without any worries.

The new enforcement is forcing the issue to breaking point...and it'll be interesting to see where it leads. If I'm not able to secure some sort of Bridgewater licence...I may have to look at moving to the Weaver etc, but really don't want to do it for no other reason that some folk in boardrooms aren't in touch with the real lives of boaters outside their windows.

Dean. Maybe you have gotten away with bending the rules in the past, but that didn't make it right.

Bleating now that you are being badly done too, when all that is happening is that the rules are being enforced isn't really painting you in a good light.

If you don't like your limited cruising options then move the boat. That is the beauty of having a boat, it isn't static and can be moved.

Clearly now that Peel have seen you breaking their rules and caught you three times in nine days then they will be looking out for you and ensuring you don't do it again. This isn't singling you out, it is ensuring you stick to the time limits.

It may make your life more difficult, but ultimately it is your choice to be there. By choosing to live there you are also choosing the limitations that come with living there.

No one said life was supposed to be easy.

This is the bit that's causing the tensions Dean. There are rules which are being applied. It looks like you don't want to comply with them. Am I misinterpreting what you are saying?

Richard

No rolleyes.gif

• Greenie 3

Richard

Yep, I think the misunderstanding is that some think I wan't to "go against the rules" and am unhappy that I cant. This is not the case. I am simply highlighting in this thread that they are now enforcing the rules like never before. The fact they're now enforcing the rules, means that widebeam boats in Manchester are virtually "locked into New Islington marina" . This is bound to force many of those widebeam owners to move down onto the Bridgewater canal, although that is quite difficult due to lack of moorings for widebeam liveaboards. I have taken the bull by the horns by approaching Peel about the issue to try and see if there is something that can be done for the longterm..not just for myself, but for all widebeam boats at New Islington. I've also sent a mail to the New Islington authorities and given them the Peel managers details, to see if perhaps the 2 parties could discuss a long term discount option. I'm trying to be pro-active and get the rules changed a little.

and I hope this is a reply to Rachels post as well. I'm not "bleating"...I'm actually trying to communicate with the rule makers to see what can be changed/arranged/put in place. This is called "progress"..or perhaps "dealing with an issue head on".

Edited by DeanS

Yep, I think the misunderstanding is that some think I wan't to "go against the rules" and am unhappy that I cant. This is not the case. I am simply highlighting in this thread that they are now enforcing the rules like never before. The fact they're now enforcing the rules, means that widebeam boats in Manchester are virtually "locked into New Islington marina" . This is bound to force many of those widebeam owners to move down onto the Bridgewater canal, although that is quite difficult due to lack of moorings for widebeam liveaboards. I have taken the bull by the horns by approaching Peel about the issue to try and see if there is something that can be done for the longterm..not just for myself, but for all widebeam boats at New Islington. I've also sent a mail to the New Islington authorities and given them the Peel managers details, to see if perhaps the 2 parties could discuss a long term discount option. I'm trying to be pro-active and get the rules changed a little.

That's just it though isn't it?

Why should the rules be changed to suit you?

Yep, I think the misunderstanding is that some think I wan't to "go against the rules" and am unhappy that I cant. This is not the case. I am simply highlighting in this thread that they are now enforcing the rules like never before. The fact they're now enforcing the rules, means that widebeam boats in Manchester are virtually "locked into New Islington marina" . This is bound to force many of those widebeam owners to move down onto the Bridgewater canal, although that is quite difficult due to lack of moorings for widebeam liveaboards. I have taken the bull by the horns by approaching Peel about the issue to try and see if there is something that can be done for the longterm..not just for myself, but for all widebeam boats at New Islington. I've also sent a mail to the New Islington authorities and given them the Peel managers details, to see if perhaps the 2 parties could discuss a long term discount option.

No they aren't! Maybe people like you who are living aboard and tied to work feel that way, but for those with more personal freedoms it's certainly not the case.

Tim

Thanks Dean

Richard

Because I'm bored and cant cruise, so I have nothing else to do except send lots of emails to people and hope for the best.

Is it not possible to do that from somewhere you can legally be rather than leaving yourself open to fines and getting cross?

Tam

No they aren't! Maybe people like you who are living aboard and tied to work feel that way, but for those with more personal freedoms it's certainly not the case.

Tim

People keep steering this thread back to a "woe is me" thread. It's not. I'm just highlighting a change in enforcement. I keep on having to re-emphasise this ;-)

I am not moored on the Bridgewater. I have only been on the Bridgewater 12 days of 6 months of this year. (7 being my freebie) .

Is it not possible to do that from somewhere you can legally be rather than leaving yourself open to fines and getting cross?

Tam

I'm not on the Bridgewater now. I'm also not in my marina now. I'm not really cross. I'm just...sitting on the Rochdale 9 :)

and I hope this is a reply to Rachels post as well. I'm not "bleating"...I'm actually trying to communicate with the rule makers to see what can be changed/arranged/put in place. This is called "progress"..or perhaps "dealing with an issue head on".

It is always worth asking I guess but the alternative surely is to buy a temporary or annual Bridgewater licence?

Edited by churchward

People keep steering this thread back to a "woe is me" thread. It's not. I'm just highlighting a change in enforcement. I keep on having to re-emphasise this ;-)

I am not moored on the Bridgewater. I have only been on the Bridgewater 12 days of 6 months of this year. (7 being my freebie) .

I'm not on the Bridgewater now. I'm also not in my marina now. I'm not really cross. I'm just...sitting on the Rochdale 9 smile.png

Sorry, I took you to be saying you were being hassled for being where you are.

Tam

I'm not on the Bridgewater now. I'm also not in my marina now. I'm not really cross. I'm just...sitting on the Rochdale 9 smile.png

Trouble is, Dean, that you do have a bit of a history of 'woe is me' threads ;)

Tim

It is always worth asking I guess but the alternative surely is to buy a temporary or annual Bridgewater licence?

I've been trying to do that for 3 years. The temporary short term licences are 4 times the normal price. I can't get an annual one without a mooring on the BW. I have found a possible leisure mooring...and waiting for Peel's feedback.

Sorry, I took you to be saying you were being hassled for being where you are.

Tam

I took myself off the Bridgewater to remain "legal" while I try and decide what to do :)

Trouble is, Dean, that you do have a bit of a history of 'woe is me' threads wink.png

Tim

point taken. Certainly not the case in this instance. Rules are rules and should never be challenged :)

Dean if it was me I would approach the owners of New Islington Marina and see if they can do some sort of deal with Peel for special temporary licences for boaters that more in their marina

I've done that already...sent a mail last night ;-)

OK....I truly do have a nice gennie box to finish, and don't want to waste the sun...so will be off for a bit...smile.png

eta sun not son

Edited by DeanS

I'm not sure which bit of "THIS ISN'T A BIG COMPLAINT... I AM MERELY POINTING OUT THAT SOMETHINGS HAVE CHANGED.. MY POST MIGHT HELP SOMEONE" you aren't getting?

Of course there are things that could be better, both for individuals, and also for a group, (boaters, wide beams boaters, liveaboards, leisure boaters, any combination), and Dean is airing some of the things that might suit him better, and that might suit others better.

The world is full off people trying to change rules and regulations, and other similar things... both for them as individuals, and for their group, or even for society as a whole, (in their opinion). I dont see why there is such a big issue when Dean does the same.

Thank you for that :)

Dean if it was me I would approach the owners of New Islington Marina and see if they can do some sort of deal with Peel for special temporary licences for boaters that more in their marina

Yes I think so, it would seem to be in their interest to help with that particularly for any of their beam berths