Self fit out whilst cruising??

Featured Posts

I did a slow belt and braces fit out, not having any previous experience I went nice and slow being very careful to get it just right for comfortable off grid liveaboard cruising. I succeeded but it took me nearly two years living alongside in a caravan, a steep learning curve but enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way. If I'd attempted to do it while living aboard I am convinced it would have turned into a nightmare.

It's 10 years since we launched Innisfree and I wouldn't like to go through all that again. Anyway it's just gone to a lucky buyer who will be avoiding all the hassle of getting the basics right and can just adapt the layout to suit.

Goodbye inland waterways, it was an exciting love affair while it lasted.

Yeah vintage engine in a small boat would take up a lot of space, have a look at some of the boats with them in, always a trad stern with back cabin, so that's 6-8' + 8' of the cabin gone. Nice to have....but....space inefficient.

Why is that? Has anyone ever seen a boat with a vintage engine in a 'modern' style lay out without the back cabin?

Hi Grahame and welcome

My advice would be to look at as many boats as you can "in the flesh". I see from your profile you're in Scotland - I'd advise bring your camper down to the Midlands where there's a good concentration of brokerages. Visit Wilton Marina where there's loads of boats and they give you keys to roam at will. Braunston Marina, ABNB and Wilton are all within a few miles of each other.

I'm sure there are others in the area

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my 60ft square cruiser-sterned sailaway narrowboat 5 years ago. It is for just me. I have CCed it for 18months & moored online for the rest. Fitting it out & occasionally pootling about in it has been and still is the greatest imaginable fun.

So far (in order) I have installed

the windows

the ballast

the floor

painted the whole of the exterior (2 coats)

the stove

the bed (fixed king size)

the water tanks (2 x 400L)

the flush toilet

reblacked the bottom with two-part epoxy

the shower & cauliflower

simple hardboard panelling to temporarily protect the sprayfoam from the sun

& the kitchen sink will be done shortly.

Still to do:

install gas

the kitchen

make a dinette

paint the exterior again

panel the interior with veneered ply

paint it purple so that it can be used in the North

and many minor items

I cannot imagine anything that would have given me so much enjoyment (that is physically possible!).

The main difficulties?

inadequate tools

inadequate or no 240V

getting big items delivered to the boat

creating dust & fumes inside the boat

lack of time - I have other commitments as well

chandleries - "that's the part everybody wants, so we're out of stock"

pressure - there is no choice about what to do next, there is always something that must be done immediately

the weather - it gets in the way of painting so often

I would say its possible, I am currently fitting a boat out while on the towpath, it is a nightmare carrying tools & supplies from the van to the boat but thats the only issue really. I have a 2000w generator I brought for £140 which does all the power tools you would need. Just a few pics below, but if you are a diy person and keen to learn there is plenty of information online to read, youtube etc is really helpful.

Once I have finished this I may consider selling to buy a sailaway widebeam and start all over again! I must be stupid lol!

Layout%20Plan_zpsqpvjqpst.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsdtku0lcf.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsxw2arnkg.jpg

IMG_0269_zpsxttdpeak.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsxclfsf2i.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsywgid6pp.jpg

Edited by Mitchellmoxo

I wanted to do this but was unable to get insurance cover. I could either have normal (cruising) cover, or building cover. I've had to keep the boat laid up at a yard and settle for building cover. As it's turned out it's probably for the best as I can hardly move on board, (55 foot narrow tug)

Out of interest, how do you get insurance on a vessel that's constantly evolving?

chandleries - "that's the part everybody wants, so we're out of stock"

luvvit.

I recall asking for something in a hardware shop and I was told "several people have asked for that but we don't stock it because there's no demand for it". Clearly the management line being repeated without a second thought by the drone salespeople.

I recently refitted my kitchen on board and got rid of the corridor shower room to a walk through bathroom. The main problems was lack of space and what I thought would take 7-10 days took nearly 3 weeks.

I had bought all my units as a used kitchen off ebay and put them on board my 50ft trad narrowboat. I had to remove the shower cubicle as the doorway from the kitchen was now in the centre so both rooms were chaotic.

Rebuilt the new wall matching using the old hardwood and plywood from the wall I removed from old shower room corridor. Removed the old kitchen units, Installed new used units, wall cupboards, worktops, installed washer dryer, freezer, cooker and hob as a galley down both sides. Retiled above worktops and added more sockets re installed hardwood trims etc.

Installed bath in walkthrough bathroom, plywood above and tiled it, made bath panel from the old hardwood t&g lining lay a new laminate floor in bathroom and kitchen. Painted new units green. Still need to finish off interior paintwork but love all the extra kitchen space. On board everything takes longer than a house fitout due to living on-board and space constraints. I was in a Marina so at least had electric and my car to go to the tip and buy items needed.

The kitchen lacked units and space. Now have a 1600mm length of units and worktop. 2 300 wall units. On the other side a washerdryer, sink unit housing small freezer, lpg cooker with hob, 12 volt fridge. Worktop over of 2100mm. It's so nice to see the end result and worth the inconveniance.

Jamescheers.gif

• 2 years later...

Wow, how time flies!  A lot has happened in the last 2 years, we have sold the campervan, I have changed jobs twice and moved house twice.........................

However the 'boat thing' just won't go away :o

We still want a narrow boat and still think around 45ft will suit us.  My work is such that it will either continue for a few years or finish quite soon, either way a narrow boat still forms a major part of the grand plan.  Having re-read the previous posts and had time to 'distance' my self I agree that my previous plan was 'not the best' shall we say.....

So now we are on the lookout for a suitable vessel (still want only portholes only tho') in a fair condition that can either be used part time or full time if required.    And so it begins .........

I have come to the conclusion that generally if asking for advice, be prepared to accept the answers!  You all have so much more experience than me and it its OK with you I will be back for the odd question or two.

Cheers

Grahame