Help cruising the North West

Featured Posts

We are now into our 3rd year of round England's canal system and have got to the Macclesfield . Our dilemma is where to now? We are a 60' long narrow boat but we draw something around 2'9" - 2'10" with a Lister 2 cylinder engine ( lots of torque but low on H.P.) having just been up the Caldon where the top is a bit close to the bottom and a few straight on at bends occurred due to shortage of steerage. We are now trying to decide where to from here, I understand that the Lancaster is shallow and that the rubble link needs a fair amount of speed to navigate and that it is not recommended for boats above 2' draught. I understand that it is quite shallow down to Bugsworth basin on the Peak Forest.We would like to go down the Bridgewater but again not recommended above 2'6". How about the Huddersfield narrow and the Rochdale? All in all if anyone has experience of navigating any of the North West canals in a deep draughted boat I would be grateful to receive advice.

We were on the bottom all the way out of Manchester on the Rochdale, the climb to Oldham being one long chore of letting water down to re-float and continue, whilst fending off local toe-rags who were trying to steal from the boat. I'd suggest this section is best done early in the day, and not on any sort of holiday. Also, whatever you do, don't stop anywhere above Picaddilly and below lock 64. See previous thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75981&hl=

If I could also point out, at 60' you're going to be a tight fit in some of the locks. http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm

We draw 2' 8 1/2" static but didn't find going to Bugsworth an issue. It might have been a bit slow in places but so what. Some bits of the Macc were shallower than the PF IIRC. We also had no depth issues on the Ashton and Rochdale from Piccadilly to the Bridgewater.

We draw 2'9" and have a slow revving engine and have no serious problems on the Upper or lower peak. Bounce occasionally and stir up the mud.

The run into Manchester won`t give any problems. The Rochdale I can't vouch for but the Huddersfield is shallow but worth the trouble.

We were on the bottom all the way out of Manchester on the Rochdale, the climb to Oldham being one long chore of letting water down to re-float and continue, whilst fending off local toe-rags who were trying to steal from the boat. I'd suggest this section is best done early in the day, and not on any sort of holiday. Also, whatever you do, don't stop anywhere above Picaddilly and below lock 64. See previous thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75981&hl=

If I could also point out, at 60' you're going to be a tight fit in some of the locks. http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm

We came up a few weeks ago from Manchester and had a wonderful cruise but must admit it got a lot lot lot better once we were past the Rose of Lancaster! Had no trouble but you could see all sorts of shady dealings going on, quite sad. Higher up you go through some areas which looked poor but the people we chatted to were a pleasure to talk to and their kids just loved pushing open the odd lock beam for us. For the last part to the summit we paired up with a very competent single hander and only had water issues where the locks only allow a single boat through.

We were the first boats of the day to cross the summit, it was down a bit even then. As we came off the summit we saw a total of 9!!! boats coming up most of who intended to turn round on the summit. I wondered if the single boat requirement at lock 34 was what resulted in sending so much water down, only read about the leak in the other thread after so did not spot it. Effectively it means that you have to go slow on some of the paddles, well go slow on one paddle particularly near that fantastic gothic bridge as the bywashes are so small that they don't cope.

I thought the Rochdale was fantastic, the last day on the Riochdale was really sad as the scenery is not quite as stunning and I knew that work pressures meant no boating for 3 weeks.

I used to live near the Lancaster canal and it's a fact it is getting very shallow at the top end but you should still be ok.

I wouldn't have thought you'd have any trouble on the Bridgewater at all.

HNC could be a lot of fun. The pounds are extremely "volatile" you should get through but prepare to get stuck from time to time.

If you can navigate the Macclesfield the Peak Forest shouldn't be a problem either.

As for Ribble Link, we haven't done it but the boat has and from what others tell me it's not so much a case of having the power/speed as the ability of your engine to rev flat out for extended periods without overheating.

There is no need to run anywhere near "flat out" on the Ribble Link. Brisk progress out of Tarleton lock is best for the first few hundred yards then slacken off and enjoy the cruise.

Our Sabb 22hp is fine in a 57 foot boat and a friends small very old Lister goes across fine keeping a steady strong beat.

Those who tend to run at full throttle are the ones that Mr.Mayor at Tarleton says are the ones who tend to have problems.

No need to rush...

We found the Rochdale a bit of a chore (from Manchester to the summit, anyway) due to low pounds (several times we had to let water down) and rubbish in the way/round the prop. I certainly wouldn't fancy doing it in a deep draughted boat.

Reading all your post about cruising the waterways further up from the K andA. If only....novice boater an not ventured further though am told if I could get off here then things considerably easier! Suggestions please!!

Onto the Oxford would be nice...

• Greenie 1

Reading all your post about cruising the waterways further up from the K andA. If only....novice boater an not ventured further though am told if I could get off here then things considerably easier! Suggestions please!!Onto the Oxford would be nice...

We have spent a few years boating on the K&A our last mooring being at Frouds Bridge Marina. If you have boated the K&A you will know it can be challenging in my view one of the most challenging on the whole canal system with wide locks, through gate paddles and a combination of river flow and canal. The Oxford is well worth visiting but that means a trip up the Thames which can be a bit daunting to new boaters. Again from experience the lock keepers on the Thames are very helpful and a mine of information especially about places to moor which can be a bit limited in places just watch out for the warning boards and listen to the luckies.The Oxford in contrast is narrow locks and is quite easy to navigate. As an aside the stretch of the Thames from the junction of the Oxford canal to Lechlade is well worth a visit with sweeping bends and glorious countryside.