Painting the rudder stock tube

Featured Posts

Does anyone actually do this as routine maintenance?

My boat is now in the dry dock and I spent a few hours today scraping weed off prior to grit blasting. I had intended to get the rudder off and use a big wire pipe cleaner to clean the tube and then paint it.

A bloke from a local hire boat yard popped along to say hello and he said he wouldn't bother. The diameter of the tube is about 1.5" and the wall thickness is 8mm. It seems like quite a tight fit with the stock. Is there any point going to the trouble of doing this job? I would post some pictures but I'm restricted to my mobile at the moment and photobucket doesn't work very well on my phone.

Edit: By the way, the boat hasn't been out of the water for 5 years and there is no sign of pitting anywhere. Where the old blacking has flaked off the steel looks new. The bloke from the yard was quite impressed. So much for those who say Liverpool Boats used inferior steel...

Edited by blackrose

It took 50 years for our rudder shaft to corrode from 1 1/8" to about 3/4". Obviously never had any AF on it being totally inaccessible.

Luckily the tube is bronze so no worries there.

How long are you planning on keeping your boat?

I've no plans to sell it.

I wasn't thinking in the short term, if you are looking at 30+ plus years perhaps plan a rolling 10 year strip and paint programme?

That way you can catch a problem as it develops.

If you are thinking 10-20 year's, leave it - someone else's problem then :)

While the rudder is out, after you have cleaned the rudder tube out tie a piece of rag to the end of a stick and give it a liberal dose of grease, then use the stick to poke it down the tube and cover the inside of the tube with grease

While the rudder is out, after you have cleaned the rudder tube out tie a piece of rag to the end of a stick and give it a liberal dose of grease, then use the stick to poke it down the tube and cover the inside of the tube with grease

Most boats get some wash from the prop up the rudder tube from time to time, this would soon wash out any normal grease.

Paint would be much better.

Tim

I wasn't thinking in the short term, if you are looking at 30+ plus years perhaps plan a rolling 10 year strip and paint programme?

I wasn't thinking in the short term either. It's been 10 years already so perhaps I should do it?

Most boats get some wash from the prop up the rudder tube from time to time, this would soon wash out any normal grease.

Paint would be much better.

Tim

Agreed. Grease is a waste of time.

But the tube and stock seem like such a close fit that perhaps paint is a waste of time too?

I can't really see any grease being able to resist the water pressure inside the tube. The tube is 8mm thick so I guess I have a few years before I have to do anything about it. One less job to do this time.

Thanks

Edited by blackrose

Up to you, but if its as tight a fit as you suggest there's not going to be much water movement beyond the very base. But as you say, likely not to be an issue anyway.

Daniel

I get a fair bit of water coming right through the tube to the top at high revs.

I've never done Ariel's in the 5 years of ownership until last docking when the rudder was removed for a new propshaft to be fitted. I am able to get my arm up the rudder tube and so attacked it with a wire brush and rough sandpaper prior to several coats of bitumen applied with a radiator brush.

I will only do it again if I'm in a dock that can have the boat high enough to drop the rudder out as last time the boat had to be lifted up for clearance.

I've never done Ariel's in the 5 years of ownership until last docking when the rudder was removed for a new propshaft to be fitted. I am able to get my arm up the rudder tube and so attacked it with a wire brush and rough sandpaper prior to several coats of bitumen applied with a radiator brush.

I will only do it again if I'm in a dock that can have the boat high enough to drop the rudder out as last time the boat had to be lifted up for clearance.

Drop the rudder out while the boat is in the dock, but before the water is drained, and refit it after refilling.

I had the rudder tube replaced on this boat last month. Mainly because the top hat was corroded into it and wouldn't shift with heat, abuse from below with a 1.5 ton pull above. The tube was 31 years old and although corroded looked good for another 30 years. I'm not expecting to have to change it again, put it that way. I've not painted the new one.

Likewise my bow thruster tunnel looks in very good condition given that it's been underwater for 10 years. I can still see some of the original red primer inside it!

Same for our weedhatch after 11 years.

ps agree re. your comments about L'pool Boats steelwork. The ones I have seen on hardstanding look fine after years afloat. Would have bought one myself 11 years ago, but hesitated and lost it.