Featured Posts

I have just bought a 25 year old narrow boat, make unknown. It rolls a lot and makes me feel queasy, I have not got it furnished with my stuff yet, does any one know why it rolls so much? It is a 30 footer which does not help I guess, and cn any one suggest ways to make it a bit more steady, it has an outboard but the old prop is still under the floor boardsjudge.gif

You mentioned the old prop still being in situ, is the old engine still there too?

If the engine has been removed then a good lump of weight has been removed so as above, add more ballast. Oh and do check that the stern gland on the prop shaft is not leaking. Also check your bilge for water which if present can slop from side to side inducing more roll.

Phil

• Greenie 1

In the short term try Stugeron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnarizine

Cinnarizine is predominantly used to treat nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness,[3] vertigo,[5]Ménière's disease,[6] or Cogan's syndrome.[17] In fact, it is one of only a select few drugs that has shown a beneficial effect in the chronic treatment of the vertigo and tinnitus, associated with Meniere's disease.[24]

When I go offshore I usually take Stugeron for a couple of days until my brain is used to the motion then I am ok.

Mmmm, now let me see. Quite a few cures for this problem really. Firstly, try eating tons of Barley sugar or Kwells car sickness pills. If the boats rolls whilst walking through it, your strides might be setting up the 'rolling', try hopping instead. Next is a bit more laborious to carry out. Let the water out and sit on your bottom. Lash a couple of 40 gallon oil drums on either side for extra stability. Lash a long scaffold plank, either to the roof or across the stern well with its longer end sticking out over the bank where it can be anchored down to the ground like an outrigger..

• Greenie 2

Mmmm, now let me see. Quite a few cures for this problem really. Firstly, try eating tons of Barley sugar or Kwells car sickness pills. If the boats rolls whilst walking through it, your strides might be setting up the 'rolling', try hopping instead. Next is a bit more laborious to carry out. Let the water out and sit on your bottom. Lash a couple of 40 gallon oil drums on either side for extra stability. Lash a long scaffold plank, either to the roof or across the stern well with its longer end sticking out over the bank where it can be anchored down to the ground like an outrigger..

Foolproof cure for seasickness: Go sit under a tree!

Howard

Foolproof cure for seasickness: Go sit under a tree!

Howard

............. reminds me of an explanation I once heard as to why people of a certain nationality are chronically lazy.

They sit under a banana tree, eat the fruit when it falls to the ground, defecate where they sit, thus fertilising the ground, and so on ad infinitum.

Deserved greenie

Thanks all, yes there is a bit of water in the bottom, I will check the stern gland, and fit a bilge pump, not sure if it was a leak from shower or condensation cos it has not been lived in for a year haha loved the lash the oil drum to the side, I don't get sea sick I was more worried about spilling my brandy, I am not on board yet but me stuff should be going over next week, a luxury to paint with room to move and nothing to cover with protectors.