Imperial or Metric?

Featured Posts

Whatever spanners you buy, there will be nuts, bolts etc which none of them fits.

This is not specific to RN engines, it's 'boat' thing.

My toolbox is already well set up for boats then! Problem solved :)

(Would still like to know DM2 owners thoughts though ;))

Richard

I am a DM2 owner, honest! :-) ;-)...as above it does have a mixture and yes Whitworth too!, but that is imperial! ..also metric allen screws...something I have found quite important is an oil can for the governor as mine requires oiling most days

Most should be Whitworth, or at least imperial. But various add on bits are bought in, such as water pumps, so could be metric. I have never been "inside" the engine, but all pipe fittings seem to be imperial, which are the sort of thing that can vibrate loose, and so need periodic checking

• Greenie 1

Hi all

Question No1 (of 10,000) as a newbie boat 'owner'

' My' RN DM2 - Will I be needing (although hopefully not too often whichever ;)) imperial tooling or metric.

Richard

Metric for kids (it's easier for them to understand).

Imperial for professionals.

I am a DM2 owner, honest! :-) ;-)...as above it does have a mixture and yes Whitworth too!, but that is imperial! ..also metric allen screws...something I have found quite important is an oil can for the governor as mine requires oiling most days

It's okay I believe you :) What I meant to say was '...other owners as well.' (Bad start to being an RN owner dissing another bro' :banned:)

Most should be Whitworth, or at least imperial. But various add on bits are bought in, such as water pumps, so could be metric. I have never been "inside" the engine, but all pipe fittings seem to be imperial, which are the sort of thing that can vibrate loose, and so need periodic checking

I'll have to increase my 'adjustables' collection to add some imperial ones me thinks :D

Richard

That'll be the "professionals" who chew up perfectly good metric nuts with their old Whitworth C-spanners, then?

Some personal bitterness showing?

What's a Whitworth C-spanner, BTW?

Tim

From the RN web site: "Most of the engine components are made to Imperial dimensions and the nuts and bolts are Whitworth threads".

The "most" is slightly worrying!

Edited by Athy

Just a vote in favour of using the right tool for the job - always.

This. So much this. I've never had issues on the boat but I've had a couple of motorbikes that have left me seriously contemplating tracking down previous owners to do violence to.

Just a vote in favour of using the right tool for the job - always.

I don't much like 'adjustable' spanners either -- did you know the French refer to such a tool as "un clef anglais"?

Adjustable spanners have their place, but not for routine use especially on smaller hexagons.

Known with good reason in some circles as 'nut-knackerers'.

Here is a C-spanner, BTW.

Tim

We have a really nice Elora whitworth set on the boat, with what looks like etched chrome finish, metric set has red flashes painted on, AF set has green flashes....

Adjustables are used, but only good quality adjustables, and normally for nuts that are known to be only just above finger tight, and where access permits which it often doesnt.

12th of a turn nuts anyone?

Daniel

Hi all

Question No1 (of 10,000) as a newbie boat 'owner'

' My' RN DM2 - Will I be needing (although hopefully not too often whichever ;)) imperial tooling or metric.

Richard

you need two whitworth sizes, from memory 3/16" and 5/16" but I might be wrong, for almost everything.

you need two whitworth sizes, from memory 3/16" and 5/16" but I might be wrong, for almost everything.

Now that all depends whether you are talking Whit or BSW sizes ;) (see the Gardner fuel filter thread).

I believe 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" WHIT will do most things unless you get involved with top or bottom end overhauls.

Tim

Now that all depends whether you are talking Whit or BSW sizes ;) (see the Gardner fuel filter thread).

I believe 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16" WHIT will do most things unless you get involved with top or bottom end overhauls.

Tim

do you mean BSW or BSF?