Imperial or Metric?

Featured Posts

(snip)

12th of a turn nuts anyone?

Got the T shirt for that : 3/4" Whitworth on an exhaust flange, tight and access limited to 6 inch lever, which (just) allowed 1/12 of a turn. Ended up using a chain hoist on the socket bar. Took ages .... angry.png

Iain

One of the common ones is 5/16 whit but I can't remember the other I use so didn't want to give sizes but it is probably 3/8 as they are not much different

This illustrates my point perfectly. 'Not much different' in spanner sizes means "different". Therefore not the right tool.

This illustrates my point perfectly. 'Not much different' in spanner sizes means "different". Therefore not the right tool.

Exactly my point. Both sizes are needed although they are not much different.

There is also a bigger one which I think, without going down to the boat and checking, is something like 11/16 whit. No doubt somebody will put me right if I am wrong

Edited by captain birdseye

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, please direct yourselves to the OP's Icon and implied Provenance!

An adjustable spanner? - heaven forfend!!!

You'll be suggesting a Birmingham Screwdriver next, (oh dear, someone has).....

It's a matter for considerable frustration (well, for me at least), whereas metric tools are readily available, SAE less so, but BS even less. Not only that but BS ring spanners (needed for some inaccessible jobs), virtually unobtainable - at reasonable cost.

Quite apart from threads - Metric coarse and fine, BS Gas, BS Pipe, UNC, UNF, BA (still used) Watchmakers.

Uniformity - Shmalify....

They use the same spanner sizes.

Whilst I hesitate to contradict one so venerable, no they are not.

Hence my query; were you comparing Whitworth and BSW or Whitworth and BSF?

As I recall it's 3/16" and 5/16" BSW. ( in spanner sizes 1/4" and 3/8" BSF) and rarely if ever 1/4" BSW - strange as 1/4" BSW is a very useful spanner size for old motorcycles, either as 1/4" for frame fittings or 5/16" fine for engine screws. And incidentally fits both imperial and metric battery terminal clamps.

do you mean BSW or BSF?

They use the same spanner sizes.

Whilst I hesitate to contradict one so venerable, no they are not.

Hence my query; were you comparing Whitworth and BSW or Whitworth and BSF?

Maybe read my post?

wink.png

Tim

Edit - also read this thread, if you still disagree:-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76223

Edited by Timleech

Well it looks like I'll have to have a rattle through my toolbox (although naturally all my tools are pristine, seperately mounted with dayglo cutouts so that I can easily do a full tool check at the end of the day and have SNAP-ON written on them ;)) and see which spanners/ sockets I DON'T have, then head off to the local weekly car boot sale and have a trawl through the boxes of rusty old tools that are on display there every week (the ones that I always laugh about :D). I may just find what I need (they certainly appear to fit the era) and he probably won't have a clue that he has a potential gold mine in his hands. I hope he isn't a boat owner!

Richard

BTW - We are now :boat: + :captain: as of yesterday :clapping: