A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

As always when i plan things they go **** up, i booked a week off for this week so i could finish the rear deck, as in the lockers, , rear deck drains and then onto the interior and insulation. Andy ( Cheshire Cat ) very kindly dropped off some 15mm copper pipe i needed to finish the locker drains, which i will be doing this week as the temps have gone up again from the weekend.

What has held me back is the weather, the rain has been so bad i have found new leaks from the windows, better now though than later, this stopped me from fitting the insulation due to the water running down the inner hull, I had to cover the windows up with some of the DPM i got for the canopy, so now i will have to let it all dry out, will take weeks if not months before i can fettle them.

So yesterday i cut the insulation ready to be stuck in place with expanding PU foam, i got this of ebay cheap aswell :), i like cheap now :) 5 can with cleaner and gun for £28. enough to do the lot and fill gaps here and there. I have managed to get half done today, nice easy clean job with the gun, them tubes you get on the canisters along and plastic tube are murder and no good once used a little all has to be used, with the gun it can be cleaned quick with no mess and reuse the canister later on if need be.

I held the insulation in place with short battens screwed into the inner ribs, this helps it keep level and flush for when i line it out with 4.5mm ply next. Feels good to be doing a bit again, I can honestly say i was getting a bit peeved and feel is it worth it as i hate to slack on a job, you can lose motivation.

Another thing i have been doing is debating over heating for the boat, i need to decide now as soon i will be setting out the frame work for the head and galley along with seating/berths. I just love stoves and was fitting one to my last cruiser a while back, now this one is a bit of a smaller boat but not to small for a stove aslong as it is fitted properly, years ago i spotted a Pip Squeak stove, nice looking and small and cheap, but no good control and build quality is not as good as another i was told about, a Boatman Stove, now these dont look as nice as the Pip Squeak, but a lot better built and better specs, higher max heat output, so no need to have it fully blazing to keep it toasty.

Now then the debate, a good size cupboard/cloths storage space and boiler cupboard or a stove, i have 2sqt for the either. If i go stove then i have found that i can turn the front bow locker into clothes storage and the likes, bigger aswell and dry as that will be insulated and lined. Now where to fit the boiler, mite has a new spot but need to look a bit more into that.

The stove will fitted on tiled area of the 2sqf and have a 15mm cavity against the lined out hull then 25mm fireboard or 25mm cavity filled with vermiculite. This will be on three sides unless i sit it on an angle. just planning it now infact. I will draw a plan up and see what you guys think.

Oh i need pics, ill be back

I would personally scrap the stove idea and stick with more storage. Don't underestimate the amount of storage you will need on a small boat.

Agreed.

A 2kw eberspacher and a separate diesel tank will be more than adequate.

Not a big fan of multi fuel stoves on boats. Storing fuel is a pain, they are dirty and take up a fair bit of space. Along with safety issues I wouldn't give em the time of day - this includes on a steel tube.

Give me a clean diesel heater any day. In fact, I'll have two :)

sorry for the rubbish pics,

I know what you mean Racheal, ( still cant bloody spell your name sorry ) space is a big thing on a boat never mind a cabin cruiser.

Hi gazza, i like the idea of a diesel heater but they are expensive on our budget, will be spending £300ish on a heater, cna get a second hand LPG for that.

Oh edit, to say i put the 2kw heater in the boat yesterday and even with the door open it was warm.

Edited by W+T

I know what you mean Racheal, ( still cant bloody spell your name sorry ) space is a big thing on a boat never mind a cabin cruiser.

Hi gazza, i like the idea of a diesel heater but they are expensive on our budget, will be spending £300ish on a heater, cna get a second hand LPG for that.

Oh edit, to say i put the 2kw heater in the boat yesterday and even with the door open it was warm.

Propex is in an option, they are a bit gas hungry so that's worth considering. Rachel is stuck with mega expensive camping gas bottles on hers - try to get a decent sized locker built in.

We are on 4.5kg butane, have space for two, cheeky gits charge £16+ for a refill :( ours only does for cooking and fridge but we do get thru a fair bit, beer doesn't keep its self cold :)

Shes looking good mind :cheers:

Propex is in an option, they are a bit gas hungry so that's worth considering. Rachel is stuck with mega expensive camping gas bottles on hers - try to get a decent sized locker built in.

We are on 4.5kg butane, have space for two, cheeky gits charge £16+ for a refill sad.png ours only does for cooking and fridge but we do get thru a fair bit, beer doesn't keep its self cold smile.png

Shes looking good mind cheers.gif

Oi. Stop rubbing it in mad.gif

Thankfully our gas only does the cooking so we only use either one or two bottles of Camping Gaz a year. It tends to alternate, one year we will use one, the next two.

Some friends of ours had a 2kw Propex heater in their 23ft Fairline and it kept the boat toasty warm.

You can shorten it to Rach if you wish wink.png

We are on 4.5kg butane, have space for two, cheeky gits charge £16+ for a refill sad.png ours only does for cooking and fridge but we do get thru a fair bit, beer doesn't keep its self cold smile.png

Shes looking good mind cheers.gif

The gas locker will take two 3.9kg ( 4.5kg ) i messed up when i made the engine well / gas locker, it was meant to take two 6/7kg cylinders but numb nuts here made it to small. When i did that i started to think on rear mounting them, now i dont like boats with cylinders hanging off the transom, my idea though is to have the cylinder locker/housing fully built into the transom from GRP and bonded into the transom with reinforcement in case there is a rear end shunt.

The transom lockers will be lined with PU foam aswell so if there is impact that along with the 6mm GRP and steel banding will take a shunt.

Oi. Stop rubbing it in mad.gif

Thankfully our gas only does the cooking so we only use either one or two bottles of Camping Gaz a year. It tends to alternate, one year we will use one, the next two.

Some friends of ours had a 2kw Propex heater in their 23ft Fairline and it kept the boat toasty warm.

You can shorten it to Rach if you wish wink.png

Now that i can remember smile.png

So which type of Eber would you suggest, i just looked a few a one said not suitable for Marine use but the other didnt say, they were D2 models.

Think i have gone off a stove sad.png sensible i guess. After workings out by time i have got the flue, fitted it out with fireboard etc it will cost as much if not more than a Eber or the likes.

Edited by W+T

looking at the quality and the amount of insulation you are installing I don't think fuel consumption of whatever hearting system you install will be much of a problem......It is so well insulated you will probably only have to breathe hard for a bit to get the temperature up smile.png

I think the d2 is ok for use on boats, but it needs a few extras on top of the standard bit of kit used on trucks etc.

It does put the price up a bit though

.http://sales.butlertechnik.com/eberspacher/eberspacher-complete-heater-install-kit/eberspacher-d2-airtronic-12v-marine-single-outlet-heater-kit-e6438-292199016438

We have a D4 on our boat and its very good.........so far.

Others may reccommend Mikuni kits as early eberspacher units were'nt known for reliabilty. From what I gather there have been various upgrades to the Eberspacher to overcome this.

Be wary of second hand units, there is often a very good reason its for sale.

looking at the quality and the amount of insulation you are installing I don't think fuel consumption of whatever hearting system you install will be much of a problem......It is so well insulated you will probably only have to breathe hard for a bit to get the temperature up smile.png

LOL John, and still have the cabin top and sides to do in 25mm insulation, mite aswell while i am at it, the back end of the top is twin skinned so going to do the rest.

I think the d2 is ok for use on boats, but it needs a few extras on top of the standard bit of kit used on trucks etc.

It does put the price up a bit though

.http://sales.butlertechnik.com/eberspacher/eberspacher-complete-heater-install-kit/eberspacher-d2-airtronic-12v-marine-single-outlet-heater-kit-e6438-292199016438

We have a D4 on our boat and its very good.........so far.

Others may reccommend Mikuni kits as early eberspacher units were'nt known for reliabilty. From what I gather there have been various upgrades to the Eberspacher to overcome this.

Be wary of second hand units, there is often a very good reason its for sale.

Mmmm price does change a lot, i will look into a few ways to heat her, if its not a stove then not big rush on the set out. Thanks for the info on the D2, i did wonder the difference in use for boats.

I chose butlertecknic as I have used them for spare parts in the past and they were very good. Worth checking the webpage every now and then as they do have reductions. You might be able to find a d2 cheaper elsewhere.

I have seen then on ebay for about six hundred quid, delivered from Turkey...........

For those of us that are in the Swindon or Bristol area I can thouroughly recomment Halls Electrical for service.

I don't work for them!

Now that i can remember smile.png

So which type of Eber would you suggest, i just looked a few a one said not suitable for Marine use but the other didnt say, they were D2 models.

Think i have gone off a stove sad.png sensible i guess. After workings out by time i have got the flue, fitted it out with fireboard etc it will cost as much if not more than a Eber or the likes.

We have the Webasto Airtop 2000 ST. So far in eight years it has been trouble free and we have done nothing too it.

Just needs running occasionally during the summer to keep fresh fuel in the lines. Not a problem as we often have it on to dry wet clothing with the UK climate!

Wayne keeps referring to his small boat. Having seen it I've got to say it looks massive sat outside his house.

well smallest boat i have had sat outside the house, thought i would be kind to the neighbours this time lol...errr sorry i take that back, had a 16 foot plant pot in the past, more holy than this was...still is lol..

Wayne keeps referring to his small boat. Having seen it I've got to say it looks massive sat outside his house.

They always do look big when they are sat out of the water.

Naughty-Cal looks massive at the moment sat ashore, yet manages to shrink again when dunked back in the water rolleyes.gif

DSC_1268.jpg

LOL John, and still have the cabin top and sides to do in 25mm insulation, mite aswell while i am at it, the back end of the top is twin skinned so going to do the rest.

Mmmm price does change a lot, i will look into a few ways to heat her, if its not a stove then not big rush on the set out. Thanks for the info on the D2, i did wonder the difference in use for boats.

wow I checked the Eber USA website. They are $650 here.....That's about 400 quid!!!

It might be worth getting one from the USA, pay the postage and the duty and still make a saving.

I looked at your link but which one, there are so many to go through, i would think i need a full kit and they are £1k +

wow I checked the Eber USA website. They are $650 here.....That's about 400 quid!!!

I will go now and look at the USA website ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Its gona be cosy :) well best had be. near finished the insulation, just got the cabin top to do with 25mm, mite as well while i am at it hey. I was using battens to hold the sheets/sections inplace but it was to much of a faff so i invested in some adjustable props to make life easy, they do slide around a little as you get to the bow, but to keep in place i just pushed 40mm screws into the insulation to stop the feet sliding out of place.

There are few spots here and there that need finishing, next step is to decide on the wiring, I have decided to fit the fuse box to the port side as you step down into the cabin, from there i am going to fit plastic conduit down the bulkhead to run the cable, and under the gunwale to the bow. this will then be filled over with expanding foam to hide it, there will be access points here and there and it will be a good size so in the future more cable can be run with the help of a length of heavy cable. you never know if you will want more cables, and still i will feed more spares cables down.

Once that is done it time to line it out with 5.5mm ply, but not to the gunwales as i cant fill that area until the top rubbing strake is fitted next year, only a 4 inch strip of ply.

So i keep doing bit and bobs as i can and when,

Pics

Oh yes i got the locker drains fitted, this was a week or so back. I just sealed some 15mm copper pipe in the holes i drilled int he transom and filled with resin, a little ran out but just needs filling later, i messed up the locker seats to they need doing again, one good thing is the drains work well as i spilt a pint into one of the lockers and it ran out, wasnt happy but at least i know it works lol.

post-8285-0-21944600-1449427375_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-42241600-1449427406_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-22817700-1449427442_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-46307600-1449427763_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-92014100-1449427795_thumb.jpg

Edited by W+T

As we know we have had a bit of bad weather recently, a few days ago i noticed that the roof of the canopy had droped and i went to have a look, well to my surprise, or OH **** i found the support i had fitted had fell off of the central cross member, yes i forgot to screw it in place and this was found,

I am chuffed that my bodge up of a canopy could hold all that though,

post-8285-0-15760400-1449428131_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-81409700-1449428169_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-27049100-1449428196_thumb.jpg

Edited by W+T