what on earth to buy!?

Knotty

Featured Posts

I hope I have posted this in the right section...

Well basically I was wondering what are the basic equipment we would need to buy, upon purchasing a boat..just as an option say it didnt come with anything..not even a rope etc!

We are aiming at 60-70ft boat

I guess even down to maybe water containers and things.. basic tool kit items...

Arghhh!

what would you suggest as a good shopping list?

BTW I must say this website is just grand! I have printed of nearly half a folder full of information, hints and tips!

Thanks in advance

Knotty xx

Where would one start? It's going to be a long list! Just go to a chandlers and say " A couple of everything please."

Seriously though, are you going to fit out a boat or will it be fitted already?

What you need really depends on what the boat comes with. If it's a basic shell or sailaway then you'll need everything, plus a load of tools, but if you bought a fully fitted or second hand boat you may only need a few things.

Edited by blackrose

Where would one start? It's going to be a long list! Just go to a chandlers and say " A couple of everything please."

Seriously though, are you going to fit out a boat or will it be fitted already?

What you need really depends on what the boat comes with. If it's a basic shell or sailaway then you'll need everything, plus a load of tools, but if you bought a fully fitted or second hand boat you may only need a few things.

hiya!

Basically its going to be a 2nd hand boat

Knotty xx

Well, I dunno about anything else but a decent stovetop whistling kettle is something I can't do without.

If your cooker and oven are a smaller than domestic size, hunt for pans that are narrower and taller than usual (I found some great ones in TK Maxx), and measure the interior or you might end up with baking trays that don't fit!

Get yourself some decent torches - I find head torches really useful.

A sea searcher magnet - for windlass hunting in locks. Oh - on that note a floating keyring.

A sack truck for transporting water, poo cabinets (thats toilet cassettes) and bin bags (not all at once!), also if you plan to cruise alot I find a large size granny shopping trolley is ever so useful - it can be a long walk down the towpath to shops /launderette etc.

Waterproof clothing. (On the other hand sunscreen!)

We have elbow length coolskin gloves - great for the stove, it means you can add to a fire by hand and not get burned! For the stove you'll need coal skuttle, hearth set (junk shops are great for this kind of thing), something to store wood in.

Tupperware boxes for food such as cereal, so it doesn't get damp, also so not to attract vermin.

12v adaptors for your computer, phone etc - Maplin is good for this kind of thing.

Also look at RV /Caravan catalogues - we get the Towsure catalogue. Loads of useful stuff in there - we prefer to use Melamine crockery for instance, they have lots in there.

A pela pump so you can do your own oil changes. A book on 12v electrics and a book on diesel engines are both things we found useful (and money saving).

In my opinion a boater can never have too many tarpaulins, either.

Edited by Lady Muck

hiya!

Basically its going to be a 2nd hand boat

Knotty xx

Are you going to be living on board? It's not quite as critical to have everything if you're not.

I wouldn't get everything in advance as half of it you might never use.

Just buy stuff as you need it. In the meantime find a good chandlery in your area and have a nose around, as well as online chandlerys.

Ebay is a source of cheap gear too.

Edited by blackrose

Well I wouldn't get everything in advance as half of it you'll never use. Are you going to be living on board?

Just buy stuff as you need it. In the meantime find a good chandlery in your area and have a nose around, as well as online chandlerys.

Ebay is a source of cheap gear too.

I agree, but if you do buy a secondhand boat, ask what's included in the purchase price and push for stuff like the windlasses, hoses, mooring pins, lump hammer and so on. I didn't and it's been expensive all in all.

If you can avoid chandleries do, although I find that Limekiln are often the cheapest and nicest people to deal with, but Midland Chandlers have the most accessible website and are prompt deliverers. Others will have different opinions. I sometimes source equipment through caravan dealers if they're cheaper but often equipment is flimsy and not intended for everyday use. Oh, and get a collapsible sack trolley; it's useful for lugging everything around, sh*t suitcases, batteries, alcohol overload, sewing machines and hifi systems.

Regards, Jill

thanks all some great tips there!

Just to answer we will be living aboard. :D

Ohh those granny trolleys are great! I remember shopping with my own grandmother and alougth being embarrased by it at the time!! I always thought how handy they were than carrying the bags!... oh how she would have the last laugh seeing me with one! I recall hers being a red tartan!

Well will be printing of all these hints to add to my every increasing boat bible :smiley_offtopic:

Thanks

Knotty xx

Definately avoid chandleries if you can - ebay is a great source of bargains - I got both my shopping trolley and sack truck from there for much cheaper than anywhere else. Also Argos and Halfords now sell water carriers and other camping bits and bobs that are useful for boats.

Another thing to look out for: do you have a Lidl or an Aldi in your area? If you do, check the website on a weekly basis. They do 'themed' bargain weeks, but you never know when they'll be so you have to keep checking. We just got an angle grinder and paint removing discs (with a 3 year guarantee), the grinder was £8.99 and the discs about a fiver. This is to grind the rust spots off when we retouch this spring.

Lidl have boating and camping special offer weeks. I got a pack of yachting clips for £7.99 for six. One solitary one the same in the Chandlery was a whopping £4! In boating week they also had lifejackets in different sizes to fit toddlers up to adults and waterproof jackets and trousers, they were all made to the same standards as the opnes you'd buy in the chandlery but a fraction of the cost. They also did a portapotti style chemical loo in the camping week (Think it was about £30).

Edited to add:Look at this sack truck much cheaper than any I've seen before.

Edited by Lady Muck

First aid book

First aid kit

Lifebelt

Possibly buoynancy aids

Co detector and spare batteries

Smoke alarm

Fenders

Multimeter

Spare filters/belts for engine.

A lucky dip curver box with bits of wire, pipe "that'll come in" type sealing compounds, araldite, metal putty etc (this grows with time)

Good leatherman or similar multi tool knife

Spare fuses for various appliances

Spare "light bulbs"

Spare rope

Touch up paint

Set of bargain paint brushes (use 'em and chuck 'em)

Prop shaft grease

Decent spanner for gas regulator (not one of the horrible flat ones!)

Key for water/diesel fillers

BW keys

Spare set of keys for boat

Dipstick for diesel tank

Edited by Guest

The most used item in a 'First aid box' is the 'sticky plasters'

Most of the items do not get used and if they are the person using them does not know how to use them

One tip if you find 'cotton wool' in a first aid box do not get it any where near a wound.

If you can avoid chandleries do,

Regards, Jill

Definately avoid chandleries if you can

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! If everyone took your advice then the chandleries would all close and then most of you would be in trouble!

I would suggest go to a GOOD chandlery first, get their advice and probably buy most of what you need there. If you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, then buy elsewhere, but why not talk to the chandler about it as he(or she) may be able to explain why his higher priced item is better, or may be able to do you a deal which makes it worthwhile buying from him(her) especially if you ever need to take it back . . .

OK Chandlers rant over, but if anyone wants to tell me why I shouldn't be in business, then please do!

Any recomendations for these. I've been meaning to get a first aid kit for a long time.

We got one from somewhere that my wife deals with. It is just a green box with plasters, a couple of bandages and safety pins and stuff. Some antisceptic type stuff also, and I intend to add an eye bath. The very useful book I was given when on a course at work. It is on the boat so I don't have it to hand.

Any recomendations for these. I've been meaning to get a first aid kit for a long time.

We got ours from the "Viking" office supplies catalogue when ordering another one for our business. They have several different sorts for different work-places. It comes with a bracket so you can bolt it to the wall!

Regards

David

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! If everyone took your advice then the chandleries would all close and then most of you would be in trouble!

I would suggest go to a GOOD chandlery first, get their advice and probably buy most of what you need there. If you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, then buy elsewhere, but why not talk to the chandler about it as he(or she) may be able to explain why his higher priced item is better, or may be able to do you a deal which makes it worthwhile buying from him(her) especially if you ever need to take it back . . .

OK Chandlers rant over, but if anyone wants to tell me why I shouldn't be in business, then please do!

To be honest I don't find chandlers much more expensive than the caravan places. They're certainly more convenient (they tend to be by a canal rather than tucked away on an industrial estate) and all the ones I use employ boaters who know what they're talking about. Walk into a caravan place and the sales wallah might know everything there is to know about your 14' piper, but will suddenly become a diy superstore sales moron when it comes to boats.

(can I have some discount please CSM :smiley_offtopic::D )

I use Uxbridge chandlers - it is a million times cheaper than anywhere else and the shop is an absolute pleasure to walk around! There are things you don't need to get from a chandlers, but I certainly think you should wait until you have your boat, and know what comes with it, before you go buying things, some boats come with pans and crockery etc etc.

I love walking around a decent chandlery it is a delight. I might be lucky as the one I use is very personable and there is always banter going on to join in with.

Hi

Why not try ebay for what you require there are some bargains to be had. Take a look @ Carnwath Rope & Fender Company on Ebay. Loads of great items at great prices and considerably cheaper than any chandlery

Okay, Richard, point taken about chandleries. It's just that the last one I visited wasn't the cheapest or more importantly, the most knowledgeable. When I know more than the manager and spend my time ferreting through the catalogue to find what I need; then have to be charged over the odds by them for the privilege of ordering it, I start to get a bit mardy. I didn't mean to be so blunt though as much of the help that I've had from chandlers has in the past has been excellent.

Dont drink and post folks! :rolleyes:

Jill

Okay, Richard, point taken about chandleries. It's just that the last one I visited wasn't the cheapest or more importantly, the most knowledgeable. When I know more than the manager and spend my time ferreting through the catalogue to find what I need; then have to be charged over the odds by them for the privilege of ordering it, I start to get a bit mardy. I didn't mean to be so blunt though as much of the help that I've had from chandlers has in the past has been excellent.

Dont drink and post folks! :rolleyes:

Jill

I probably didn't make myself clear either - we go to Uxbridge Chandlery - it is indeed excellent. What I was trying to say is; don't buy everything from the Chandlery, you don't need to - but like most people we are on a budget and like a bargain. Kitting a boat out is expensive and seemingly never ending, buying from £1 shops and Lidl (as well as the chandlers), will help keep your costs under control.