Roses and Castles painting course - Stoke Bruerne Museum - 16/17-May

Leo No2

Featured Posts

As below - apologies if it is in the incorrect forum. I am not associated in any way with the supplier of this course.

There are spaces on the Roses and Castles painting course at the Canal Museum Stoke Bruerne 16-17 May 2015.

The course is aimed at people wishing to acquire the basics of traditional narrow boat decoration as practised by dockyard painters in trading boat days. The painting weekends generate a tremendous atmosphere with all enjoying the mutual support from other participants. As well as learning its fun!

Paints and brushes will be provided for use on the course along with a board to practise on and a main board for your finished work. Saturday begins with an introduction to the equipment and the basics of brush care. This is followed by the demonstration and practise of a collection of brushstrokes and techniques, which are used to prepare the board for the next day. By the end of the day on Sunday, you will have a main board to take proudly home, featuring rose swags and a castle scene.

Course Time: Saturday and Sunday 16-17 May, 9:45am-5pm

Course cost: £85 per person, including all necessary equipment

Bookings: Contact Mat or Louise at the Canal Museum on 01604 862229

Edited by Leo No2

During a visit to a garden centre / nursery yesterday I was intrigued to see several "hand decorated" Buckby cans for sale including a water can, log holder, and several types of coal scuttles / umbrella stands. I didn't have time to see where they were made but there does seem to be a market out there.

• 2 months later...

If they are what I think they are, they are awful examples, painted in China by folk who have no knowledge of the tradition....why should they? .....it saddens me to see a once proud tradition abused in this way, sadder still to see that there is a market among modern boaters for this excrement. The longer I spend around our waterways today, the more grateful I am that I had the best of it years ago before regulation strangled the alternative freedom that I came to the cut to enjoy. I've just spent half an hour on the phone to another old timer, he knew many of the Barlow and other Oxford Canal boaters as a youngster and we agree entirely about the way things have evolved. So sad.....

Dave

As below - apologies if it is in the incorrect forum. I am not associated in any way with the supplier of this course.

There are spaces on the Roses and Castles painting course at the Canal Museum Stoke Bruerne 16-17 May 2015.

The course is aimed at people wishing to acquire the basics of traditional narrow boat decoration as practised by dockyard painters in trading boat days. The painting weekends generate a tremendous atmosphere with all enjoying the mutual support from other participants. As well as learning its fun!

Paints and brushes will be provided for use on the course along with a board to practise on and a main board for your finished work. Saturday begins with an introduction to the equipment and the basics of brush care. This is followed by the demonstration and practise of a collection of brushstrokes and techniques, which are used to prepare the board for the next day. By the end of the day on Sunday, you will have a main board to take proudly home, featuring rose swags and a castle scene.

Course Time: Saturday and Sunday 16-17 May, 9:45am-5pm

Course cost: £85 per person, including all necessary equipment

Bookings: Contact Mat or Louise at the Canal Museum on 01604 862229

I think we may be a little late for this course......................

If they are what I think they are, they are awful examples, painted in China by folk who have no knowledge of the tradition....why should they? .....it saddens me to see a once proud tradition abused in this way, sadder still to see that there is a market among modern boaters for this excrement. The longer I spend around our waterways today, the more grateful I am that I had the best of it years ago before regulation strangled the alternative freedom that I came to the cut to enjoy. I've just spent half an hour on the phone to another old timer, he knew many of the Barlow and other Oxford Canal boaters as a youngster and we agree entirely about the way things have evolved. So sad.....

Dave

In 50 years' time the youngsters boating now will have similar conversations, where they long for the days back in the early 2000s when you could CM where you like within reason (provided you didn't totally take the pish), visitor moorings were free, and best of all, you were still allowed to live on your boat...

(Speeling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

If they are what I think they are, they are awful examples, painted in China by folk who have no knowledge of the tradition....why should they? .....it saddens me to see a once proud tradition abused in this way, sadder still to see that there is a market among modern boaters for this excrement.

Totally agree, the tat I see in most chandlers makes me wonder who on earth actually buys it.

Dave

What a terribly sad post. The beauty of art is the diversity. How very boring if everyone painted in the same way. One of the appeals of narrowboats (or narrow boats for pedants) is that they don't have the uniformity of mass produced GRP boats.

I'm not suggesting than an historic boat should be painted by Chinese painter with no knowledge of tradition, but why not if it is a new boat?

I am looking at a bucket painted with roses by one of my young nieces. It's dreadful by any standard, but it was a Christmas present and she obviously put some effort into painting it. I love it.

No doubt someone criticised the impressionist painters for being a bit different.

I too applaud diversity in the world of traditional painting, it's what makes the work of those of us in the business recognisable. I have a collection of painted ware from trading days which eloquently supports that viewpoint. My gripe with the Chinese stuff brought in by Black Country Metalworks ( of Oswestry, nowhere near the Black Country ) is that it is a terribly crude attempt to copy the styles of modern painters, myself included. I suspect that the previous poster may not have seen the stuff, I wince whenever I do! The problem is that some modern souvenir painters have taken a quick look and applied their art to all sorts of items. Along with the old stuff I'm also curator of Phil Speight's infamous Black Museum, a collection of dubious examples which have all been offered for sale. They include a pebble, a matchbox and a wooden spoon, all awfully painted. When I was running painting courses I used to bring it along to encourage my students...." Look, only a few hours painting and you are better than this already"....

I'm well aware that we all have to start somewhere and I wouldn't denigrate your relatives efforts in any way, she may well go on to bloom in the painting field in due course. I suppose that after a lifetime around boats, I'm bound to be a little cynical and grumpy...it's an age thing, I suppose....but I'm by no means alone. I'm fortunate to be able to operate in the traditional end of the market, I've little interest in the modern manifestations that I see floating around.

If anyone is interested in viewing the old stuff, or the Black Museum, please get in touch. I don't bite, honestly!!

Dave

Sorry for being a bit stroppy, Dave. I have had a look at the BCM website and even to my inexpert eye, it's not very impressive. On the other hand it's inexpensive and it could be some people's introduction to the subject. Look at the amount of publicity generated by Tim & Pru appearing on TV. I imagine that has attracted a fair number to explore the canals and take boating holidays despite the number of blunders. The BCM describes their products as 'Canal Art Style', the style drawing attention to the fact that it's not the real thing. As you say, BCM is not in the Black Country, but their address is on the homepage, so fairly prominent. I can see positive aspects of copying the style of others providing that there is no counterfeiting going on. I would not be surprised if cheap painted ware helps attracts custom for the real thing, though maybe a few years down the line.

During a visit to a garden centre / nursery yesterday I was intrigued to see several "hand decorated" Buckby cans for sale including a water can, log holder, and several types of coal scuttles / umbrella stands. I didn't have time to see where they were made but there does seem to be a market out there.

If these are what I think they are they are coming from a company called "Black country metal works" in Oswestry who have an association it seems with Midland Chandlers. Just because they are there doesn't mean theres a market. They are in my opinion the worst stuff on the market. The garish painting is done in the far east and the metalwork I have seen is not good.

As in all things, you pay for what you get, and that stuff is bottom end to me.

As in all things, you pay for what you get, and that stuff is bottom end to me.

Despite the Black Country Metalworks cans apparently using a special type of Teflon non-stick solder, the blank cans are not exactly bargain basement.

If the one I ended up with is typical, the one thing you can't do with them is use them to store water.

Dreadful things!