My first proper boating under C&RT stewardship

zenataomm

Featured Posts

please try playing the post and not the person.....a general request for all....keep the nastiness to a minimum.

Quite surprised you haven't started a furore with some members asking you to tell them exactly what 'minimum' means:-)

Quite surprised you haven't started a furore with some members asking you to tell them exactly what 'minimum' means:-)

it all depends how long you stopped doing it before you decide to do it again. simples.....and of course whether its a 24hr , 48hr, 7 or 14 day thread.

I must say, I was wondering exactly how much nastiness Dean feels would be appropriate!

Don't think the E.A lockies on the Thames would be very impressed if I turned up not displaying a Gold Licence, just having to take my word for the fact we were licensed. As they note the boat licence number ( and name ? ) as you pass through I wonder if someone actually licence checks on their data base ? . Bunny

But CRT have recently stated clearly that it is not, and a number of people checked that with them, and got a consistent answer.

Clearly it is confusing in the cases where a paper licence gets printed, if it says on it that it must be displayed, but that seems to be a hangover from the past.

The simple fact is CRT have said there is no longer a requirement to display, so getting upset about any boat that now doesn't have them displayed is pretty pointless.

That'll be another law CRT are ignoring.

Won't be long now before all that is redundant.

All boaters need to do next a email a credible number plate list to each data collector and he won' t need to go out and actually collect the data. Easier life for everyone!

An enhancement of the current system where boaters know which day of the month he gos out to collect the data and they arrange themselves appropriately.

(Or so I'm told ninja.gif )

Sad man with nothing better to do. He doesn't even know that displaying a license is no longer required.

CRT no longer require you to display a current lic. disc, You however must have the CRT no. displayed on each side of your boat that is visible. It is this number that they use for everything now.

So this post was a load of crap because you didn't actually check if the boats were licensed, you just assumed it because you couldn't see a bit of paper displayed. What a muppet. If I saw you peering in my window trying to check my licence I would indeed call you a sad git to your face...

Right, so this is the reply I got from Craft Licensing ......

Thank you for your email.

Going forward we will be issuing licences via email to customers for whom we have an email address registered, rather than sending them in the post. Customers are still required to display their licence discs, and they will be able to download and print these from the website.

If we do not have an email address on file for a customer, the discs will still be sent in the post.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if I can assist further in any way.

Kind regards,

Katy Ellis

Customer Service Advisor

Canal & River Trust

E: customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk

It doesn't make any difference whether it is a requirement or not. The fact is that lots of people don't display them, so the absence of a paper licence in the window is no indication of whether or not the boat is actually licensed...

It doesn't make any difference whether it is a requirement or not. The fact is that lots of people don't display them, so the absence of a paper licence in the window is no indication of whether or not the boat is actually licensed...

As usual you are clouding the issue to the point that even you miss the point.

The offence is not whether your boat is licensed or not.

The offence is whether you are d-i-s-p-l-a-y-i-n-g a valid licence or not. Was that slow enough for you?

As usual you are clouding the issue to the point that even you miss the point.

The offence is not whether your boat is licensed or not.

The offence is whether you are d-i-s-p-l-a-y-i-n-g a valid licence or not. Was that slow enough for you?

You seem to have veered completely away from the point, which was...

In two days I spotted about £45K worth of unpaid licenses, ignoring mooring fees.

[...]

After all 85% of £45K is worth a lot more than 100% of nowt!

Not displaying a licence may well be an offence, but it doesn't mean the boat licence has not been paid for as you claimed in your original post.

Edited by Delta9

You seem to have veered completely away from the point, which was...

Not displaying a licence may well be an offence, but it doesn't mean the boat licence has not been paid for as you claimed in your original post.

correct, it just means it probably hasn't been paid for!

correct, it just means it probably hasn't been paid for!

Not really. I've never displayed my licence but it has always been paid for. I know several boaters that don't display their licence, but I don't know a single boater that is actually unlicensed. I know my personal experience doesn't count for much, but I would bet that of those boats not displaying a licence, only a small percentage are actually unlicensed.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the amount of "unlicensed" boats OP spotted in that area doesn't fit in with the percentage of boats unlicensed that CRT claim. Either a lot of those boats OP spotted not displaying are actually licensed, or there is some sort of bad boys banter for non-payers going on in the area OP visited.

Edited by Delta9

In either case I was talking about unexploited income for CR&T.

If your boat is on the water and you haven't paid to license it you are in default and owe money.

If you have licensed it but don't display the licence you are still in default and leave yourself open to paying a fine.

If your boat is on the water and you haven't paid to license it you are in default and owe money.

If you have licensed it but don't display the licence you are still in default and leave yourself open to paying a fine.

What is the fine for not displaying a licence?, and just who and how many have been so fined?

And more, what is the fine for not displaying a licence you no longer need to display?

Edited by MJG

You are back pedalling now. You claimed a figure of £45k, you were clearly not talking about fines for not displaying...

That'll be another law CRT are ignoring.

Yes, this is true, I thought that.

It is, of course a bye-law that the license is clearly displayed.

Mind you there is also a requirement for the boats name to be displayed in the bye-laws, and BW / CRT have for some time said that is not required either.

It does seem CRT can choose which bye-laws to ignore, but the rest of us can not.

Thank you for your email.

Going forward we will be issuing licences via email to customers for whom we have an email address registered, rather than sending them in the post. Customers are still required to display their licence discs, and they will be able to download and print these from the website.

If we do not have an email address on file for a customer, the discs will still be sent in the post.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if I can assist further in any way.

Kind regards,

Katy Ellis

Customer Service Advisor

Canal & River Trust

E: customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk

This is the complete opposite answer to what has been given by CRT to other people.

Arse and elbow springs to mind.

I now have no idea whatsoever whether they require licences to be displayed or not.

What a king sized **** up!

Yes, this is true, I thought that.

It is, of course a bye-law that the license is clearly displayed.

Mind you there is also a requirement for the boats name to be displayed in the bye-laws, and BW / CRT have for some time said that is not required either.

It does seem CRT can choose which bye-laws to ignore, but the rest of us can not.

This is the complete opposite answer to what has been given by CRT to other people.

Arse and elbow springs to mind.

I now have no idea whatsoever whether they require licences to be displayed or not.

What a king sized **** up!

Or I guess if the new owners of Chalice had to buy a new licence or not as in the end it turned out it wasn't transferable.

From a administration point of view CRT are starting to look utterly shambolic.

How about a courier service in London on a bike ferrying boat number plates back and forth, it would save moving the boats.

Won't be long before every bote/bote number are photographed and compared.

The usual suspects will moan about erosion of rights ignoring that the chancers are forcing CaRTs hand.

Edited by mark99

I find it incomprehensible as to why some people go to the trouble of spending hundreds of pounds of buying a licence and then not displaying it.

What is it that some people do not understand about the requirement to display a name, number and licence on their boat?

It strikes me as being either pure b****y mindedness or they do it for some nefarious purpose

So when they are written to, refused a new license, taken to court, refused passage, have their boat seized or whatever may happen as a consequence - they have no case to say how unreasonable C&RT are being.

No matter how much they may protest they are far from being martyrs. All they are doing is messing it up for the rest of us as they force C&RT to turn the screw tighter and tighter.

• Greenie 3