Refina scabbler.

Featured Posts

Never used one, although I would like to try.

I have however used belt an orbital sanders as well as 3m pads in a drill from a Honda EX1000, while repainting the cabin on the towpath more than once.

We have also considered borrowing an frame genset with enough poke to run the compressor and needle scaler on the towpath, although to date we have only used in when in drydock or on a shoreline.

As long as you are moored in a suitable area and not causing unreasonable noise, pollution, or H&A hazard I cant seen a problem with it.

Daniel

I miss-read the title as "Retina scabbler"...

I think my retinas must need scabbling...

don't go there.

My left retina has been scabbled on 3 occasions to remove scar tissue. Whilst it was relatively painless it was very unpleasant under local anaesthetic, lasting up to 2 hours at a time.

It may not be something that people painting their own boats in the open think about, at least I very rarely hear it mentioned, but all this paint muck has to go somewhere and a vacuum attached to the equipment helps keep most of the crap from ending up all over the place.

Equipment plus vacuum - 1 kw is probably not going to be enough. 2Kw should be enough.

Edited by Higgs

It may not be something that people painting their own boats in the open think about, at least I very rarely hear it mentioned, but all this paint muck has to go somewhere and a vacuum attached to the equipment helps keep most of the crap from ending up all over the place.

Equipment plus vacuum - 1 kw is probably not going to be enough. 2Kw should be enough.

Indeed!

The paint debris will go far and wide in the open without a vacuum - not very eco friendly doing it on the towpath without a vacuum TBH.

Its not like we're likely be removing zinc/cadmium based paint, not sure if the scabler if designed to take extraction looking at it.

But yes, I would expect a 2kW large 'suitcase type' genset to be capable.

Daniel

Sorry, should have been clearer, one scabling One trying to keep on top of the dross!

Its more a job for a boatyard than twopath side. Not really on doing it in public. At least in a yard you are answerable to the yard owner!

I dont disagree. However if all boatyards are booked it leaves you little choice. I have seen many people sanding , grinding, welding,insulating,fitting out and painting along the towpath. Some make a genuine effort to limit any noise and mess some dont. This particular boat roof has only 3 or 4 coats of paint on the roof and much of that is flaking. I think there will be more mess if the paint is removed by sanding than by scabbling. Sanding produces a fine powder which is probably worse for the enviroment than the flakes from scabbling. Its up to the person doing the work to keep any mess to a minimum.Scabbling is also far quicker and on completion only requires a quick flick over with 80 grit to prep for painting. The paint on this boat roof is so badly applied im sure i could complete the paint removal in a day.

If anyone has any better ideas i would love to hear them lol. Roof is 50 x 10.

Please lets not get into an enviromental debate,that was not the intention of the post.

I dont disagree. However if all boatyards are booked it leaves you little choice. I have seen many people sanding , grinding, welding,insulating,fitting out and painting along the towpath. Some make a genuine effort to limit any noise and mess some dont. This particular boat roof has only 3 or 4 coats of paint on the roof and much of that is flaking. I think there will be more mess if the paint is removed by sanding than by scabbling. Sanding produces a fine powder which is probably worse for the enviroment than the flakes from scabbling. Its up to the person doing the work to keep any mess to a minimum.Scabbling is also far quicker and on completion only requires a quick flick over with 80 grit to prep for painting. The paint on this boat roof is so badly applied im sure i could complete the paint removal in a day.

If anyone has any better ideas i would love to hear them lol. Roof is 50 x 10.

Please lets not get into an enviromental debate,that was not the intention of the post.

You mean that other people do it so that makes it OK?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the environmental point, and the suggestion of hooking up a vacuum cleaner is a good one if the machine allows it.

Tim

frusty.gif

That's not on

You asked for advice on scabbler and got it. The environmental impact, both noise and mess go hand in hand with this method

If you choose to ignore that, fine, it makes it no less of a topic to debate.

Personally I wouldn't do it on the towpath because of the environmental impact. Not sure how C&RT would view it either.

Edited by gazza

I repeat frusty.gif

That's not on

You asked for advice on scabbler and got it. The environmental impact, both noise and mess go hand in hand with this method

If you choose to ignore that, fine, it makes it no less of a topic to debate.

Personally I wouldn't do it on the towpath because of the environmental impact. Not sure how C&RT would view it either.

I didnt ask for advice on a scabbler? Better if you read my post properly.

I repeat frusty.gif

Me too.

Ignoring the issue doesn't make it go away.

Being the OP does not give you a right to steer the thread either ;)

You did, you asked if a Genny could run it and got told yes, as long as it was of a suitable size.

Best you read the replies properly :) X

Me too.

Ignoring the issue doesn't make it go away.

Being the OP does not give you a right to steer the thread either wink.png

Make what go away? I asked a simple question. It required a simple answer.If i wanted opinions on the enviromental issues i would have asked.

Make what go away? I asked a simple question. It required a simple answer.If i wanted opinions on the enviromental issues i would have asked.

Arghhh!

Ignoring the environmental issues.

It matters not if YOU asked about it, others who posted raised it as an issue.

YOU cannot be the sole arbitrator of what is posted on YOUR thread.