Is this the most useless waterpoint?

NickF

Featured Posts

I saw this at the whilst walking yesterday

20150422_153650.jpg

It is at Hickling basin on the Grantham canal! I wonder if it has ever been used!

Any one else got any suggestions for the most useless water point?

I saw this at the whilst walking yesterday

20150422_153650.jpg

It is at Hickling basin on the Grantham canal! I wonder if it has ever been used!

Any one else got any suggestions for the most useless water point?

Where you walking on water?

Why is it useless then?

Because all the bridges on the Grantham canal are culverted so no boats can get there.

Where you walking on water?

I have been discovered! I didn't get too well treated on my last visit 2000 years ago so I had been hoping to get away with it this time! ( are we allowed religious jokes o the forum, if not I apologise!)

I am sure someone on here said CRT sell keys to canal visitors other than boaters , I know I bought two in leeds without any questions.

Forever closing the toilet door at the moorings burscough as people "ramblers with maps and others " go on their way without shutting it , the café and the bars there may have a key they lend out to in need that they will not allow to use facilities they may have .

Maybe not as discouraged as once was.

Edited by gaggle

I am sure someone on here said CRT sell keys to canal visitors other than boaters , I know I bought two in leeds without any questions.Forever closing the toilet door at the moorings burscough as people "ramblers with maps and others " go on their way without shutting it , the café and the bars there may have a key they lend out to in need that they will not allow to use facilities they may have .Maybe not as discouraged as once was.

You can get a BW/CRT. key on eBay for a couple of quid. Or you can buy 'legit' ones in lots of chandlers. You don't need to get them from CRT.

I am sure someone on here said CRT sell keys to canal visitors other than boaters , I know I bought two in leeds without any questions.

Forever closing the toilet door at the moorings burscough as people "ramblers with maps and others " go on their way without shutting it , the café and the bars there may have a key they lend out to in need that they will not allow to use facilities they may have .

Maybe not as discouraged as once was.

That is because boaters do not bother to re lock after use not convinced about all those ramblers using facilities or the bars handing out keys

According to the new CRT maps there's a waterpoint on the old cut of the Aire & Calder in Wakefield - the cut that's been out of use for about 160 years...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/in-your-area#lat:53.67512484846746,lng:-1.487434649337731,zoom:16

[Hmm - this the url of the zoomed-in view, but the CRT site doesn't seem to like it, instead reverting the the country-wide view with the default visitor marks set. Not good]

--

Dave

Edited by DaveP

That is because boaters do not bother to re lock after use not convinced about all those ramblers using facilities or the bars handing out keys

I have been using the elsan and been approached by visitors who asked if I was the bar person with the key for the toilet , they had the idea that it was normal procedure , I explained the toilets were boaters facilities not public toilets but they had clearly been turned away from businesses inside the wharf , I could not really refuse to unlock the door to allow the people to use the toilet , other people on the moorings have commented on how often the toilets are being left unlocked , not I don't think down to boaters suddenly becoming to lazy to lock the door.

This is of course where one of the trip boats have people wait for their short trips.

I have been using the elsan and been approached by visitors who asked if I was the bar person with the key for the toilet , they had the idea that it was normal procedure , I explained the toilets were boaters facilities not public toilets but they had clearly been turned away from businesses inside the wharf , I could not really refuse to unlock the door to allow the people to use the toilet , other people on the moorings have commented on how often the toilets are being left unlocked , not I don't think down to boaters suddenly becoming to lazy to lock the door.

This is of course where one of the trip boats have people wait for their short trips.

Well I have just spent nearly 6 months moored about 75 ft from the facilities so seems like I missed all the action. Sorry I should say I am aware of trip boat using facilities but then they do pay for the use Edited by cotswoldsman

Well I have just spent nearly 6 months moored about 75 ft from the facilities so seems like I missed all the action. Sorry I should say I am aware of trip boat using facilities but then they do pay for the use

[/quote

They also pay a business to provide the sandwhiches and drinks for each passenger which could be a reason the business might provide a key to open the toilet for passengers , nearly six months about the length of time the problem has worsened , at least you have never moaned at me to slow down though as I pass.

• Greenie 1

Whatever happened to the plan to replace all the cast iron water points with stainless steel ones. It seems to have been abandoned.

They never said they were going to replace them all.

They never said they were going to replace them all.

New or old, they have to contain a double-check valve these days. All the new ones do.

The old cat iron ones are more expensive but I expect they are more durable.

Edited by mango