Is this the most useless waterpoint?

NickF

Featured Posts

New or old, they have to contain a double-check valve these days. All the new ones do.

The old cat iron ones are more expensive but I expect they are more durable.

Indeed. But CRT said IIRC that at 'heritage sites' the existing ones would be modified to contain the valve but at other sites they would simply be replaced. This being what I was meaning. I don't know how they defined if a tap was positioned at a heritage site or not though.

The most useless one I know of is at Rochdale Summit West, it's not connected.

The one on the visitor moorings above Eastwood Lock at Rotherham is like that. If you lift the manhole cover the blue pipe is coiled up inside.

Indeed. But CRT said IIRC that at 'heritage sites' the existing ones would be modified to contain the valve but at other sites they would simply be replaced. This being what I was meaning. I don't know how they defined if a tap was positioned at a heritage site or not though.

The one at Stoke Bruerne is a new stainless steel one. Is that not a heritage site? Edited by pearley

The one at Stoke Bruerne is a new stainless steel one. Is that not a heritage site?

You'd have to ask the Trust. As I said I don't know how they defined what sites were and what sites were not.

Yes, the tap at Whaley Bridge has a check valve in old cast iron. I have examined this fitting in the pipe run, and I fail to see how complete replacement of cast iron by a new flimsy stainless monstrosity at any location, heritage or otherwise, could be a cheaper option.

George ex nb Alton retired

Whatever happened to the plan to replace all the cast iron water points with stainless steel ones. It seems to have been abandoned.

Hello. You seem to have a fairly common boat name. I hired from Cheshire cat narrow boats last year, and this year from Claymoore with a boat of the same name.

Not a complaint just an observation! Do you ever get mixes up with someone else?

The never said they weren't until people kicked up a stink

Whatever, it's not worth nit picking over, what they said or what they didn't say, well I don't think it is anyway.

Hello. You seem to have a fairly common boat name. I hired from Cheshire cat narrow boats last year, and this year from Claymoore with a boat of the same name.

Not a complaint just an observation! Do you ever get mixes up with someone else?

Canalplan lists 6 Cheshire Cats!

I don't understand either. CRT is supposedly keen on sustainability but the new stainless steel water points are very unlikely to be as durable as the old cast iron variety, even though the initial cost is less.

Whatever about non-boaters using the toilet facilities, people driving up and dumping their domestic rubbish in CRT Skips really annoys me!

I tend to agree, but then again I have wondered recently whether I should carry a key when I go walking, would have been useful last weekend when I was at Barrow on Soar and a few months ago when I was at Bosley top lock. So what's the rule, can I use the toilet facilities when I am not on a boat? Does my canoe entitle me to use them if i am paddling? It is difficult to know where to draw the line.

I tend to agree, but then again I have wondered recently whether I should carry a key when I go walking, would have been useful last weekend when I was at Barrow on Soar and a few months ago when I was at Bosley top lock. So what's the rule, can I use the toilet facilities when I am not on a boat? Does my canoe entitle me to use them if i am paddling? It is difficult to know where to draw the line.

I can't see anyone objecting to non boaters using facilities with respect. After all, they use all the other bits of the system thoughtfully provided by boaters licence and mooring fees:-) (Ducks to avoid incoming flack)

I do however, draw the line at a pair of dossers bedding down for the night in a shower block in Birmingham as happened a few years ago. By night, I mean about 5pm. When challenged I was told to f*** off!. I was younger and fitter then so their feet didn't touch.

George ex nb Alton retired

According to the new CRT maps there's a waterpoint on the old cut of the Aire & Calder in Wakefield - the cut that's been out of use for about 160 years...

Amusing. I know the area well. I've lived and worked within a mile or two of there for half my life.

Going to go looking for it tomorrow, don't really expect to find it but will take pics!

Just picked up this topic after returning from a work party on the Grantham Canal.

Does the Grantham Canal have any boats? I thought restoration had come to a bit of a stop but I might be out of date

Because all the bridges on the Grantham canal are culverted so no boats can get there.

If you think nothing is happening or all the bridges are culverted may I suggest that you have a look on the GCS website.

http://www.granthamcanal.org/ - have a look at the news letter 'Bridge'.

Better still have a short sampler boat trip on bank holiday Monday from our depot at Woolsthorpe by Belvoir

There is quite a bit happening at the moment so why not join in and give us a hand we need all the help we can get.

• 1 year later...