Telephone Call with CRT Enforcement

junior

Featured Posts

As security is probably the biggest concern or driver in our lives it's not surprising that some pay for it, however small the benefit.

If that were true:

1. We wouldn't live on boats.

2. We be crofting in the outer Hebrides.

3. Our houses would be bomb proof.

Of course I'm not. I only have the youtube clip to go on, WHICH HE POSTED!!! Surely he thinks that his attitude is just fine without the need to give any context or explanation, or he wouldn't have posted the clip in isolation. It was clear from the clip that Stuart hadn't spoken with him before and was seeking some information. That sounds entirely reasonable.

Stuart had not spoken to him before because he was new to that stretch. I'm not siding with anyone, I'm merely stating the obvious rather than presuming.

Of course I'm not. I only have the youtube clip to go on, WHICH HE POSTED!!! Surely he thinks that his attitude is just fine without the need to give any context or explanation, or he wouldn't have posted the clip in isolation. It was clear from the clip that Stuart hadn't spoken with him before and was seeking some information. That sounds entirely reasonable.

As I said non of know all the facts so I will go with the contents of the phone call.

It seems he had been in contact with CRT over this problem so seems like he was trying to do the right thing. The other thing that struck me was why has it taken 5 months for enforcement to react? Also considering it was 5 months surely a visit would have been far better so maybe a phone call along the lines of "when will you be available for a visit" might have been better. Then SG would also have been in a better position to access the breakdown for himself. Having said all that some people do not help themselves a winter mooring for about £400 would have solved all his problems

Edited by cotswoldsman

As security is probably the biggest concern or driver in our lives it's not surprising that some pay for it, however small the benefit.

It seems you can afford the £2000 per year so that's good. Ok, so I might be wrong to think that the waterways should bare it's own small share of responsibility to those who struggle, but it's what I think.

If he genuinely can't afford a mooring then he can claim housing benefit for it.

Remember, cc'ers on this forum are always banging on about how it isn't any cheaper anyway.

If he genuinely can't afford a mooring then he can claim housing benefit for it.

Remember, cc'ers on this forum are always banging on about how it isn't any cheaper anyway.

Maybe he is claiming housing benefit for the boat, maybe not, who knows? I don't see why those with little income shouldn't be able to choose between living on a boat or a house.

Stuart had not spoken to him before because he was new to that stretch. I'm not siding with anyone, I'm merely stating the obvious rather than presuming.

I've been in Stuart's position a few times. Typically what happens is that you are dumped with a caseload of active cases. If you're lucky you might get a brief run down on some of the more intractable cases. So you then call, write, visit people to bring yourself up to date. As John said, a visit might have been the best option but that's also the most time consuming and costly. And anyway, who's to say Alan wouldn't have pulled out a video camera, with a view to putting a clip on YouTube. If I worked for CRT enforcement I would be very wary of Alan now after this little stunt.

Reasonable and amicable agreement is always the best way forward. Posting things to YouTube like this is as good a way of preventing that as i can possibly imagine.

Maybe he is claiming housing benefit for the boat, maybe not, who knows? I don't see why those with little income shouldn't be able to choose between living on a boat or a house.

Is anyone saying otherwise?

Reasonable and amicable agreement is always the best way forward. Posting things to YouTube like this is as good a way of preventing that as i can possibly imagine.

I agree but bringing it to the social media might be a sign of desperation and his last hope of getting his situation looked at fairly. I'd do the same if 'they' stopped listening.

I agree but bringing it to the social media might be a sign of desperation and his last hope of getting his situation looked at fairly. I'd do the same if 'they' stopped listening.

As a pair of political heavyweights, I would expect them to use the formal channels available.

Local Councillor, MP, waterways ombudsman etc.

It's moot though isn't it, since, in the clip, the only person not listening was Mr Baxter.

Stuart tried to set a timetable, Alan simply kept evading.

Update: since the boater felt unconcerned about making a private telephone conversation public, here's some info on him (it wasn't hard to find):

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Kings-Head-officially-home-baby-Callan/story-20489071-detail/story.html

Why is this a problem for CRT?

Kings Head landlady Claire Donaldson, said: "It's our own private mooring so they're welcome to stay there as long as they like. We're really happy to have the Kings Head as Callan's official address."

Richard

Why is this a problem for CRT?

Richard

Think end of garden moorings etc. You can't moor your or any other's boat on your non-towpath side land indefinitely without having the appropriate mooring permit. That is presuming the comment in the paper is correct, something which is fairly rare.

Think end of garden moorings etc. You can't moor your or any other's boat on your non-towpath side land indefinitely without having the appropriate mooring permit. That is presuming the comment in the paper is correct, something which is fairly rare.

The newspaper article is 15 months old, are they still on the pub mooring anyway?

I haven't read the whole thread...

so will play devils advocate.

1. Perhaps he broke down in winter...I think it actually says...Nov to April....so that would make it the very cold period...and the very dark period. He also hasn't had an alternator, so couldn't run his boat for elec, and no sun for solar. If he's a CC-er, he hasn't had a car (and mentions disposing oil by walking a mile to a skip). With kids on board, and his mechanical breakage, it's very possible he has been under a lot of pressure, and has been working to earn money, and has to do all the domestic work at the same time.......leaving very little real time to sort out mechanical issues.... Taking the time of year, the cost of repairs, the time involved, I'd say 6 months is not that bad.......and now that the weather is warming up, and he has previously sent CRT a letter regarding his situation, he's now in the engine cleaning things out to try and get it sorted....when the caller phoned him. Interesting, he had previously dealt with a different enforcement officer, who may have given him some leeway over the winter months.....other CC-ers stay put for months over winter...(if they pay CRT), so CRT should have just given him a winter mooring permit, and he would have been completely legal....for that time.......

In that light, his frustration may be justified, however....

1. he sounded arrogant...

2. he was arguementative

3. if he had pleaded for another month, explaining all of the above,

we might not be judging him so harshly...

No the waterways is not a housing park, but prior to his breakdown, he was probably a very happy CC-er, never on CRTs radar....?

I've just tried to leave my marina for a few days....but the only nice green patch to moor on which seemed safe enough...is silted up so bad, I've had to cancel my plans....it's now apparent the only place I can actually cruise is off CRT waters....unbelievable.

it's now apparent the only place I can actually cruise is off CRT waters....unbelievable.

Well to be fair, you decided to buy a fat boat and position near the end of a fat CRT canal a little way along what can only be described as one huge flight of locks. You don't want to go up the locks, that leaves only the other way which is onto non CRT waters. It all seems fairly predictable to me, and not in the least bit unbelievable.

I think we moored overnight on that pub mooring about Christmas before last. It is a very nice spot, secure, peaceful and convenient for the town centre and shops. Having the landlady say you can stay as long as you want would be very tempting. No idea if you would still need a mooring permit from CRT though.

Does anyone know what engine it is that is giving him such problems?

And so the witch hunt begins clapping.gif

The thing you keep missing is that they put themselves in the firing line. This wasn't a CarT press release.

I think we moored overnight on that pub mooring about Christmas before last. It is a very nice spot, secure, peaceful and convenient for the town centre and shops. Having the landlady say you can stay as long as you want would be very tempting. No idea if you would still need a mooring permit from CRT though.

Does anyone know what engine it is that is giving him such problems?

Come on forum sleuths. The boat was bought 18-24 months ago. We have its name. Is there any boat info online?

Come on forum sleuths. The boat was bought 18-24 months ago. We have its name. Is there any boat info online?

Why? - I hope Jenlyn is sitting down but I agree with him, this is starting to take on all the features of a witch hunt.

I've just tried to leave my marina for a few days....but the only nice green patch to moor on which seemed safe enough...is silted up so bad, I've had to cancel my plans....it's now apparent the only place I can actually cruise is off CRT waters....unbelievable.

Sorry Dean, that's a position you have put yourself in of your own free will, & you weren't new to the area or to boating, so not a huge amount of sympathy here.

Tim

It's not a particularly interesting witch hunt. The guy's name, partner's name, child's name, boat name and location are all already in the public domain together with their political leanings. You can even hear his voice and see his picture.

Now, a stolen boat - that's worth doing some digging for. Not this though

Richard

Sorry Dean, that's a position you have put yourself in of your own free will, & you weren't new to the area or to boating, so not a huge amount of sympathy here.

Tim

Sorry...not wanting to take it off topic. Boats are reversing down the Rochdale...because it has no water....how was I supposed to know that the only CRT canal in the area my boat fits on, wouldn't have any water...and they only dredge half the canal (for narrowboats only)