How to WiFi

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Hi all,

firstly let me state that I have searched for this topic and have not found quite what I'm looking for (or perhaps I missed it). So firstly a few facts:

1. I would like to be able to access the internet on occasion when cruising, using appropriate Wi Fi hot spots.

2. My present ISP is AOL and, out of convenience, would prefer not to have to change but............

So my question(s) is this:

What hardware do I need to purchase? As AOL do not support WiFi hotspots - what software will I require? If I need to change ISP who should I consider.

Finally, I have been reading the threads on the use of mobile phones etc for internet access, but I don't need that level of connectivity - I would be following the same sort of regime as Maffi (using libraries, marinas etc).

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi all,

firstly let me state that I have searched for this topic and have not found quite what I'm looking for (or perhaps I missed it). So firstly a few facts:

1. I would like to be able to access the internet on occasion when cruising, using appropriate Wi Fi hot spots.

2. My present ISP is AOL and, out of convenience, would prefer not to have to change but............

So my question(s) is this:

What hardware do I need to purchase? As AOL do not support WiFi hotspots - what software will I require? If I need to change ISP who should I consider.

Finally, I have been reading the threads on the use of mobile phones etc for internet access, but I don't need that level of connectivity - I would be following the same sort of regime as Maffi (using libraries, marinas etc).

Thanks in anticipation.

All you need is a wi fi adapter, PCI, USB etc, whatever your PC will take.

You don't even need an ISP. You will be using whatever ISP the hotpsot is connected to. You simply fire up your browser (MS IE, Firefox, whatever you prefer) and that's it, you're on the net. You can then use the internet email access to get to your AOL emails (probably somethnig like www.aol.co.uk or www.aol.com).

Gibbo

I use wifi where I am moored (although the signal is varied!), I have my lap top with a BT Voyager 1020 Laptop Adapter plugged in the side and that is it. When you click on network connections to see available connections you see the ones you can access. You can use libraries marinas and also some coffee houses, but I think you have to pay at some of these places. I think multimap has a facility to search for hotposts around the country.

If you leave your main home PC switched on when you're away, you will also be able to get into that home PC, as if you were sitting at its keyboard, by using the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" facility.

This is really useful so that you don't have 2 lots of Outlook Express downloads of emails and you have to download them all over again when you get home. Plus all the "Sent" mails are in one place (on your home PC). Also, if you're like me, you sometimes need a document on your laptop and it's sitting on your home PC - very frustrating. With remote desktop you can view it on your home PC and copy or move it to your laptop.

You can even get into your webcam while away to keep an eye on things. A fantastic facility, works perfectly, easy to set up and its free.

Chris

If you leave your main home PC switched on when you're away, you will also be able to get into that home PC, as if you were sitting at its keyboard, by using the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" facility.

This is really useful so that you don't have 2 lots of Outlook Express downloads of emails and you have to download them all over again when you get home. Plus all the "Sent" mails are in one place (on your home PC). Also, if you're like me, you sometimes need a document on your laptop and it's sitting on your home PC - very frustrating. With remote desktop you can view it on your home PC and copy or move it to your laptop.

You can even get into your webcam while away to keep an eye on things. A fantastic facility, works perfectly, easy to set up and its free.

Chris

Chris,

You must have a fixed IP address from your ISP to do this - not many will have that (although there are ways round it)?

GoToMyPC works really well for me as my home PC is also my work PC and I can access it whilst out at the many offices within our organisation, and more secure too, although it's a subscription service.

Julian

Hi Serendipity,

Although it helps to have a static IP address it isn't a must. The simplest way is just to remember your dynamically assigned IP address and connect using that, although this will change and once it does, there's no way to find this out if you're not actually at your PC at home and able to check this.

If you do have a dynamic IP address, there are programs which you can install and will turn your IP address into an easily remembered host name. Dyndns.org is one and more info can be found here.. http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

I bought a £400 toshiba from pcworld wifi enabled. My neigbour opposite has a wireless access point which he has programmed my machine to recognise (WEP). I am out in the boat, just stopped by some houses and there is a network. Trouble is its illegal but my machine doesn't mind...

Should really drop them a note suggesting they might want to WEP it.

trouble is I have to hold the laptop up by the window, and i want lunch...

Hi Serendipity,

Although it helps to have a static IP address it isn't a must. The simplest way is just to remember your dynamically assigned IP address and connect using that, although this will change and once it does, there's no way to find this out if you're not actually at your PC at home and able to check this.

If you do have a dynamic IP address, there are programs which you can install and will turn your IP address into an easily remembered host name. Dyndns.org is one and more info can be found here.. http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Hi Liam,

Yup - I'm well aware of how and when non-fixed ip addresses will change and how you can have a hosted "fixed" address - just trying to point at that the suggested hook-up will not work for 99% of folks without further work, (or it will, but when their line drops and a new IP address is assigned they'll wonder why it no longer works). Not ideal unless you are techno savvy (or unless you don't mind being called in to support it :) ). If you are serious about a solid simple connection in to your computers at home or in a small office set up get a fixed IP address from your ISP - doesn't cost much.

Julian

"The simplest way is just to remember your dynamically assigned IP address and connect using that, although this will change and once it does, there's no way to find this out if you're not actually at your PC at home and able to check this."

A little trick for you - you set up an email client on your home (target) machine to auto reply to your email. Send an email and wait for the auto reply - read the reply in raw source mode - and presto there is the originating IP address!

I have an overseas client who keeps their servers on a LAN with a NATed dynamic IP. I need to remote access them regularly and this works every time.

(this drivel actually means something to us geeks you know!)

"Microsoft Remote Desktop" - or Timbuktu or 'Chicken of the VNC' or... lots of them

"so that you don't have 2 lots of Outlook Express downloads of emails" - use IMAP email not POP, all your email lives on the server so it does not matter how many machines you use to look at it - it is always the same

A little trick for you - you set up an email client on your home (target) machine to auto reply to your email. Send an email and wait for the auto reply - read the reply in raw source mode - and presto there is the originating IP address!

Ingenious!

I believe some of the "virtual" domain name services work by your PC polling out it's connection details to the service so you wouldn't need to keep monitoring whether your IP had changed and update the service manually. I've not tried them, and still favour a fixed IP though!!

Edited by Serendipity

Does this mean one can use the internet connection on ones home PC when out and about with ones laptop?

No it doesn't mean that Bones. It means that by using an internet connection on your laptop whilst out and about, you can access your home PC and "see" everything on the PC as if you were actually sitting at it. Bit like having a remote keyboard and monitor. But you still need an Internet connection (WiFi or otherwise) at the laptop.

Chris

No it doesn't mean that Bones. It means that by using an internet connection on your laptop whilst out and about, you can access your home PC and "see" everything on the PC as if you were actually sitting at it. Bit like having a remote keyboard and monitor. But you still need an Internet connection (WiFi or otherwise) at the laptop.

Chris

I see :)

Hey, lets not - I just wanted to find out about wifi access when on the boat. Chris W, thank you for that suggestion, I will investigate further and see if I can find a local 'expert' to show me through the set-up. As for the rest - very interesting but, in the context of this thread :) . Thanks anyway :cheers:

Hey, lets not - I just wanted to find out about wifi access when on the boat. Chris W, thank you for that suggestion, I will investigate further and see if I can find a local 'expert' to show me through the set-up. As for the rest - very interesting but, in the context of this thread :) . Thanks anyway :blink:

I didn't start it - see my initial reply :cheers: but i'm up for the discussion on encrypted VPN tunneling, and the wisdom of accessing systems using some of the accessibility methods suggested without them!

Hi all, if you are still looking for Wi Fi solutions you could look at http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/product_info....products_id=413 I got one the other month it works well but not quite as good as they claim. Probably about 2 kilometers is as good as it gets so far but that's better than a few hundred yards you would normally get.

Have Fun.

Hi All, I am a live aboard and wanted internet connection so I went for a data card which slots into the side of my laptop and uses gprs and umts to connect to the internet, I have no ISP as such and use Yahoo for email. I pay £20 a month to T mobile for the service which I dont think is too bad for unlimited surfing the net, I think I have a 2GB download monthly limit but I hardly download anything so thats not a problem. As for coverage I have had no problems all over the country and things have improved again since I bought a signal booster from ebay for £15. I have found on my travels that on the canals that wifi hot spots are not within range so it would not be wise to hope that you are near one when you wish to connect. :cheers:

Hi All, I am a live aboard and wanted internet connection so I went for a data card which slots into the side of my laptop and uses gprs and umts to connect to the internet, I have no ISP as such and use Yahoo for email. I pay £20 a month to T mobile for the service which I dont think is too bad for unlimited surfing the net, I think I have a 2GB download monthly limit but I hardly download anything so thats not a problem. As for coverage I have had no problems all over the country and things have improved again since I bought a signal booster from ebay for £15. I have found on my travels that on the canals that wifi hot spots are not within range so it would not be wise to hope that you are near one when you wish to connect. :cheers:

im going to go for tmobile i think, my puters a mac, so i need extra software to be able to use the datacard though. ( which ive already found)

is there a way to extend the aerial range so I can sit in the comfort of the living room floor space and still get a decent signal... I dont want to have to stand near windows etc. or is it no problem? whats a signal booster?

I was hoping to tap into open wifi signals as im out and about, but appreciate they may be few and far between if we are out away from built up areas.

we apparently have wifi in our marina and the aerial is just 200 meters away but i can only get a signal if I stand outside and wave the laptop about. which isnt the ideal way to go about it.

ive tapped into loads of free signals on my travels, i parked in a street in dover one night as i was kipping in my Hilux waiting for my early morning ferry and realised i was receiving emails! I had the laptop on so i could listen to choons while i was snoozing.

my old flat had a great signal too, no idea where from. i knew all the immediately attached neighbours and it was none of them.