Replacing Delphi Freedom calcium sealed batteries

TandC

Featured Posts

Some of you will remember a Vince, a member on here who was able to supply 2nd-hand batteries. I benefited from that and managed to make four of his batteries last 5 years! Alas, they've finally all collapsed and hold no charge. Not bad for less than a ton!

I now need to replace them - Delphie Marine Freedom batteries - sealed, calcium.

I have googled to no avail, no sign.... are these still made? I need the same size/studs to match the wiring layout, and was pleased with the quality of them.

Anyone suggest where I can find the same? Or if no longer available, it's so bewildering..... any recommendations for good battery suppliers?

Thanks,

Tim

Are the ones in the below link what your after? If so they are the batteries that were used on all of the boats for the day job. They were I believe AC Delco/Delphi BE105's. The replacements which looks identical as I do believe the AC Delco/Delphi ones are no longer made are Varta Professional LFS105.This is what is used now.

http://www.barden-ukshop.com/varta-professional-lfs105---105ah-deep-cycle-leisure-battery-delphi-be105-54m-or-d54-105v-2274-p.asp

Edited by martyn 1

Hmm... those Barden ones look identical, although they have a tapered terminal whereas the Delphi Freedom's I have use an M8 threaded stud.

I need to match the size but also the M8 as that is what size all my cables were made to...

Just called Midland Batteries in Northampton - they offered two at that size and stud layout, 110amphr and 120amphr at £169.99 or £179.99 respectively. That's a big layout.... ouch.

Will keep calling round.... any other bright ideas?

Thanks for the help

Although Midland Swindlers do a Lucas 110amphr which is about the same size and has terminals that would work.... http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/battery-leisure-lucas-sealed-cxv-113?productID=cdc2f892-0b01-4b31-beac-910ee2bc9b20&catalogueLevelItemID=97e9f1f9-06ab-459d-99c6-961b47d2327b

Braunstone MC just quoted £79 a battery if purchasing more than one - not sure if thats the same as in the link as it seems a big discount from the web price - but that's probably more in my range.

Any views on the quality of these Lucas batteries? We're not continuous cruisers - spend a lot of time on hook-up, but do extended cruising in the summer. I've a 250w solar and a 1kw gennie (although the latter has not been tested with the battery charger yet - it may not have the uuuumph).

Hmm... those Barden ones look identical, although they have a tapered terminal whereas the Delphi Freedom's I have use an M8 threaded stud.

I need to match the size but also the M8 as that is what size all my cables were made to...

Just called Midland Batteries in Northampton - they offered two at that size and stud layout, 110amphr and 120amphr at £169.99 or £179.99 respectively. That's a big layout.... ouch.

Will keep calling round.... any other bright ideas?

Thanks for the help

The ones we use are M10 threaded but otherwise identical to those pictured, have you tried phoning bardens to explain what you after.

Are you sure your terminals are M8, what size spanner do you need to undo them will be 13 for m8 or 17 for m10

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

This lot are quite well thought of in the motor, RV and semi traction role (golf carts etc) circles. I used them for my Land Cruiser pair about 6 years ago and I'm still impressed. They have lots of option at quite reasonable prices and 48hr delivery