Water tanks

boycey1969

Featured Posts

Just reading the description again of the boat we have made an offer on and realised that the water tank description says steel and not stainless steel.

We had assumed that as it is quite a new boat that it would have a stainless steel tank.

Is the water from the tank drinkable?

Does the tank need more maintenance?

Are they expensive to replace?

Thanks

If it is a bow tank like this:

16699775129_e2b0990a5f_z.jpgUpdate 21.04.10 004

(Ignore the now gone crap flexible tank inside, not a Duratank btw.)

Yes it will need maintaining, I black ours with potable blacking every 18 months.

We filter drinking water via an inbuilt filter on the boat. I also lob in a couple of Milton tablets every time we fill up.

Best bet is a liner from here:

http://www.hovercraftconsultants.co.uk/pdfs/Single-SkinnedFlexibleTanksandLiners.pdf

Thread here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44605

Edited by Ray T

I think it will almost certainly be stainless steel. They are virtually maintenance free. Either that or they mean it's an integral tank that's part of the steel hull?

The description says 545 litre steel water tank is located beneath the well deck

Assuming its an integral tank (part of the boat structure) then its very out of fashion these days but actually very good. It won't smell of plastic and it won't split, and will offer the maximum capacity in the available space. Pay someone to take it back to bare metal and paint it with suitable epoxy, then don;t worry about it for many years!

...........Dave

Assuming its an integral tank (part of the boat structure) then its very out of fashion these days but actually very good. It won't smell of plastic and it won't split, and will offer the maximum capacity in the available space. Pay someone to take it back to bare metal and paint it with suitable epoxy, then don;t worry about it for many years!

...........Dave

Is there a suitable epoxy for potable water?

The description says 545 litre steel water tank is located beneath the well deck

To me, the fact that they've made reference to the material suggests it's a separate stainless steel tank rather than an integral tank. Why don't you just ask the vendor to clarify?

Is there a suitable epoxy for potable water?

To me, the fact that they've made reference to the material suggests it's a separate stainless steel tank rather than an integral tank. Why don't you just ask the vendor to clarify?

I suspect that most epoxies will actually be fine once totally cured, but "Reactive Resins" do once specially for water tanks. Its light blue and makes your water tank look like a swimming pool!.

http://www.reactiveresins.com/Armourguard-PW.html

................Dave

I suspect that most epoxies will actually be fine once totally cured, but "Reactive Resins" do once specially for water tanks. Its light blue and makes your water tank look like a swimming pool!.

http://www.reactiveresins.com/Armourguard-PW.html

................Dave

Thanks for that.

I think I would be a bit concerned about Bisphenol A migration into the water from any epoxy paint that isn't actually certified for potable water.

Thanks for that.

I think I would be a bit concerned about Bisphenol A migration into the water from any epoxy paint that isn't actually certified for potable water.

I work on the assumption that the human body can cope most toxins as long as they are in very small quantities. Just need to watch out for asbestos and plutonium! However even with the potable resin mentioned above I still gave my tank a good hose down,

..........Dave

I work on the assumption that the human body can cope most toxins as long as they are in very small quantities. Just need to watch out for asbestos and plutonium! However even with the potable resin mentioned above I still gave my tank a good hose down,

..........Dave

"Small quantities" is a rather vague concept. The quantities of many categories of toxins and carcinogens that the human body can be exposed to without harm are well-defined, while some others aren't. For example, after a lot of scientific research, EFSA has now published scientific opinion that BPA doesn't pose a risk in internal can lacquers and other food packaging, but who knows how much exposure a big water tank painted with a non-potable water epoxy paint could pose to someone drinking the water everyday?

Edited by blackrose

I have to have a little brag about my tank, its stainless, 36 years old, never had anything added to it, drink it nearly every day, holds 700 litres, it cost me £500.00. in 1979. My hull bottom and sides in 3/8 inch, cabin sides in 4mm. cost me £5,250.00. Both are as new, best money I ever spent. The engine a Bukh 2G105 cost me £2,500.00 and apart from oil and fuel filters is as new.

I bought a separate plastic tank (below well deck) to replace a very rusty galvanised steel one which was fitted when I got the boat just over a year ago....

So... It is possible that you could have a separate steel tank; I did, best to check with vendors. But, not hard or expensive to replace, my plastic one cost 400 quid from Goodwin plastics. He did me a good price as I was a boater... Capacity around 550ltrs.

Best of luck.

...........Dave

Integral tanks are deffo the best option. We drink straight from the tank of this and all our boats previously.

Tim