Food Intolerances

LittleMallard

Featured Posts

Hi folks, my partner has a shareboat that we have enjoyed going out on for many years. Sometimes we are out boating for a week, and others two weeks in one go. Boating used to be very easy food wise because we would tend to do half of the meals onboard, and half off, and we make our bread, so the only thing we ever need is to pick up some fresh meat and milk half way through the week. However, I am now lactose intolerant, and have sensitivities to a number of other things like egg and wheat, so we are having a real struggle with it. Last holiday we had to plan a trip that would involve going to a large supermarket part way through the week, and we had to get to shops before they would close so that we could get fresh meat, lactose free milk, free from bread and other free from foods, because when you are intolerant to things, there isn't much choice of products, so you have to get what you know. Sadly free from products tend to only be in large chain shops. Obviously, this is not always possible, for example, we might suddenly have to change our plans because of a stoppage, or want to go on a route where there aren't any large shops. When we have been able to plan our trips ahead I email around the pubs that we will be near to see if they can cater for me, but a large number can't. So I was wondering how other free from boating people get on?

Thank you in advance! I hate missing out on boat holidays.

Make your own sauces at home before you embark on your cruise and freeze them, purchase a small freezer that you can install on the boat - problem solved

Note - on the GU from MK south to Bulls bridge there is an array of large supermarkets to choose from...MK / Lieghton Buzzard / Berkhamsted / Hemple Hamsted / Bulls Bridge (I've missed one off between the last two, but too lazy to look it up in my Nicholson's at the moment) so very easy access to large Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Morrison's & Waitrose, to pick up the things you either don't have space for in the freezer or can't freeze.

The other thing you could do is arrange to have a friend or relative meet you on the towpath somewhere along your journey with a top up of fresh supplies

I'm not overly surprised to hear you are not getting the answer you are hoping for when contacting the pubs. Remember the large chain pubs have standardize menus and hugely underpaid/trained kitchen staff who are in most cases trained to prepare what's on the menu and that's it. Your not dealing with cordon bleu chefs. You might have better luck contacting privately owned pubs, where they can "normally" cater for the "odd" request - might be an idea to ask if they could prepare a couple of suggested items rather than asking if they can cater for wheat/lactose intolarent

Delta9, I wouldn't wish food intolerances on my worst enemy. If you had them then you would find out for yourself the hard way just how horrid they are and how much hard work and money it involves! I think it is daft that people who don't need to cut out such foods do, I know that I could never cut out lactose if I didn't have to.

Thank you Bettie Boo smile.png

Edited by LittleMallard
  • Greenie 1

I'm not overly surprised to hear you are not getting the answer you are hoping for when contacting the pubs. Remember the large chain pubs have standardize menus and hugely underpaid/trained kitchen staff who are in most cases trained to prepare what's on the menu and that's it. Your not dealing with cordon bleu chefs. You might have better luck contacting privately owned pubs, where they can "normally" cater for the "odd" request - might be an idea to ask if they could prepare a couple of suggested items rather than asking if they can cater for wheat/lactose intolarent

The OP has my sympathy my daughter is intolerant of milk (not lactose) and citrus. However I do find most places she goes are very good at adapting their dishes to suit. I know she doesn't have the range of intolerances the OP has which will make life much more difficult but in general every eating place has been very accommodating.

Wit regard to food intolerance being an eating disorder everybody I have met with a food intolerance is ill when they have had food which has been accidentally contaminated with substances they are intolerant to. They have no knowledge the substance is in the food so it is a genuine physical effect.

Sorry can't help with the stocking up problem she has to use Alpro (other brands are available) which stores well until opened.

Edited by Jerra

Hi Little Mallard and welcome to the forum.

I'm a ccer (April to November) and also a coeliac. Last year was my first year onboard and I found that I was having to root out a supermarket every 3 days or so to find fresh meat (I don't have a freezer) as I have to cook from scratch for all my meals. I lived off chicken curry and spaghetti bolognese making a batch of 3 each time. Downside of this it can get a bit boring. This year I am determined to organise myself a bit better and avoid the main shops for at least 5 days I have in mind getting some vacuum packed fish or ham (which will have a long life) and tins of salad beans to hand. Also, having eggs in the cupboard means I can rustle up a quiche easily.

Tesco will deliver to a canalside location if you know the postcode

.. which can be found off Google maps with a right click and the 'what's here' option. (As long as there's a building that receives post in the vicinity).

The OP has my sympathy my daughter is intolerant of milk (not lactose) and citrus. However I do find most places she goes are very good at adapting their dishes to suit. I know she doesn't have the range of intolerances the OP has which will make life much more difficult but in general every eating place has been very accommodating.

Wit regard to food intolerance being an eating disorder everybody I have met with a food intolerance is ill when they have had food which has been accidentally contaminated with substances they are intolerant to. They have no knowledge the substance is in the food so it is a genuine physical effect.

Sorry can't help with the stocking up problem she has to use Alpro (other brands are available) which stores well until opened.

Having worked in the hospitality trade for over 35 years, the OP has my sincere empathy as well.

Although I do not suffer with any serious allergies or intolerance's myself, I have had a good deal of experience in dealing with people who do. Sorry if it came across as anything other than a genuine offer of helpful suggestions & comments. If you re-read my post, you will find no where did I suggest that either allergies or intolerance's are anything to be shrugged off or not to be taken seriously.

The example of your daughter's intolerance to milk & citrus would be Much easier for any eating establishment to cater for IMO, there's a Big difference between that and what the OP has described.

Thank you everybody for all of the tips, I will definitely be trying them out! I always forget about the freezer, I will have to make better use of it next time. Hopefully I can work out some more meals for next time too. I am having an experiment with making free from bread tomorrow, so fingers crossed it will be something else for the boat menu so that I don't have to rely on shops so much.

Having worked in the hospitality trade for over 35 years, the OP has my sincere empathy as well.

Although I do not suffer with any serious allergies or intolerance's myself, I have had a good deal of experience in dealing with people who do. Sorry if it came across as anything other than a genuine offer of helpful suggestions & comments. If you re-read my post, you will find no where did I suggest that either allergies or intolerance's are anything to be shrugged off or not to be taken seriously.

The example of your daughter's intolerance to milk & citrus would be Much easier for any eating establishment to cater for IMO, there's a Big difference between that and what the OP has described.

Sorry Bettie I must have phrased my reply wrongly. I took your post as helpful,sympathetic and nothing else. I was just recording my sympathy for her plight.

Yes I realise my daughter has things easy compared but I have been impressed by the way establishments have tried to cope, even when arriving unannounced.

There's some truths in that article. I've been there, thinking intolerance problems but actually I just don't know and nor does your average GP.

NOTE I am not talking allergy, I am talking intolerance aka irritation.

BTW lady M, OP did not mention coeliac!

Alpro milks can be bought long life in tesco and other supermarkets. I buy almond milk and just chill as needed. I use coconut flour, and almond flour for crackers and biscuits, don't bother with bread though. I have courgette noodles, or sweet potato noodles that can be bought. My issue isn't allergy but diet choices, but it's very similar requirements. I just have to think out the box.

Edited by Ally

Sorry Bettie I must have phrased my reply wrongly. I took your post as helpful,sympathetic and nothing else. I was just recording my sympathy for her plight.

Yes I realise my daughter has things easy compared but I have been impressed by the way establishments have tried to cope, even when arriving unannounced.

No problem - just felt I better clarify the tone of my post as it seemed to be misunderstood - all's good :)

There's some truths in that article. I've been there, thinking intolerance problems but actually I just don't know and nor does your average GP.

NOTE I am not talking allergy, I am talking intolerance aka irritation.

BTW lady M, OP did not mention coeliac!

They did, they tagged the thread!

I found them in a Chinese supermarket.

when we go out, a rarity nowadays, I usually go for steak, mixed grill, or cease salad. I ask them to swap out anything I can't eat with salad, and find even chain pubs will do this for me.

Thank you everybody for all of the tips, I will definitely be trying them out! I always forget about the freezer, I will have to make better use of it next time. Hopefully I can work out some more meals for next time too. I am having an experiment with making free from bread tomorrow, so fingers crossed it will be something else for the boat menu so that I don't have to rely on shops so much.

I've been experimenting making bread over the last 10 years or so and I find that Glutafin mixes make the best flavour and texture bread. http://www.glutafin.co.uk/gluten-free-foods/flour-mixes/

Most of the recipes I've found elsewhere included using eggs....just turns out like cake!

I don't have the scientific or medical knowledge to judge whether these food intolerances are as genuine or widespread as some would have us believe. However, it does seem odd to me that far fewer people ever complained about these ailments in the past, and also it can't be coincidental how the rise of the modern "free from" food industry has happened simultaneously with the multitude of articles and publications promoting these exclusion diets.

So I'm not saying that the issue isn't real for some people, but I am saying that it's also an industry which has to some extent created its own market for other people who've bought into the philosophy rather than actually suffering from anything.

Like most of these things, I think there's some truth on both sides of the discussion.

Edited by blackrose