Bimble flexible solar panels?

Whale

Featured Posts

I would not recommend semi flexible panels for narrowboat roof installation, whatever the blurb says - I also will not fit these any more.

They are NOT robust, the junction box is very flimsy and vulnerable to getting knocked.

The solar cells connecting strips are also very fragile, and once they break (in less than 12 months in 3 cases I know of), you have to dig into the plastic top sheet and re-solder, then replace the damaged plastic removed.......until the next one breaks.

I would not recommend semi flexible panels for narrowboat roof installation, whatever the blurb says - I also will not fit these any more.

They are NOT robust, the junction box is very flimsy and vulnerable to getting knocked.

The solar cells connecting strips are also very fragile, and once they break (in less than 12 months in 3 cases I know of), you have to dig into the plastic top sheet and re-solder, then replace the damaged plastic removed.......until the next one breaks.

Were those all on the ebay plastic-backed panels?

I had some rather more expensive aluminium backed panels (I think Lensun was the brand) for two years with no troubles, not on a NB roof admittedly but on our wheel box roof, which had to be manhandled off & on for bridges quite often in that period and got knocked about when 'off'. Only replaced because the roof had to be replaced, so I went for the biggest size that would fit. Slightly cheaper and less substantial than the first set, but still aluminium backed and no troubles so far.

I note that they say the Bimble ones are not suitable for walking on, which is less than ideal for a NB roof. The ones I have now are supposed to be Ok with soft shoes, but that should never be tested where they are.

Tim

Were those all on the ebay plastic-backed panels?

I had some rather more expensive aluminium backed panels (I think Lensun was the brand) for two years with no troubles, not on a NB roof admittedly but on our wheel box roof, which had to be manhandled off & on for bridges quite often in that period and got knocked about when 'off'. Only replaced because the roof had to be replaced, so I went for the biggest size that would fit. Slightly cheaper and less substantial than the first set, but still aluminium backed and no troubles so far.

I note that they say the Bimble ones are not suitable for walking on, which is less than ideal for a NB roof. The ones I have now are supposed to be Ok with soft shoes, but that should never be tested where they are.

Tim

I have a couple of Lensun panels too, (though they came from Ebay, just to confuse things). One is 3.5 years old, the other was fitted last summer. Both are working fine, though the plastic on the older one is starting to look a little cloudy.

MP.

We have 2 Solara panels that are still OK after 7 years and 3 Seaspray panels that are between 2 and 3 years old. Have just bought a 4th one. They are said to be ok to walk on but I never do cos its too much of a struggle to climb up onto the roof. They are all aluminium backed with a plastic covering that is a good thickness.

Edited by pearley

We have one of these on our roof - http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/unisolar68w and Trackman has three on his boat. We are both pleased with them.

We have 4x unisolar 130, very sturdy connections and tough plastic. Stand up to walking on well.

We have one of these on our roof - http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/unisolar68w and Trackman has three on his boat. We are both pleased with them.

They are outrageously marked up over here though, you are best purchasing from US ebay if you can.

I've got 4 of Bimbles kyocera 120 w panels, a good company to deal with in my experience.

The company is registered abroad, and you pay to another company, Duke entertainment ltd, but they have a good reputation so far.

Still not 100% sure that used panels are money saving in the long term though.

I can't remember what make my MPPT solar controller is but to get a good one your looking at about £75, any cheaper than that and they are junk, I have done a lot of research when I was looking at solar over the last 2 years.

• Greenie 1

Surely the boat roof will get so hot in summer it will seriously limit the output of the panels?

Just a thought.. I've got a standard panel bought second hand from Bimble 2 yrs ago. Mounted a few inches off the roof for cooling. They are a good company in my experience.

I have 9 x 97 watt flexible solar panels on the roof they seem to be working well you can walk on them but I avoid it where possible the roof around is cream to keep the heat down. Mine are from the USA and are allegedly according to MIT the best flexible panels on the market only time will tell

Peter

Quick question for the solar experts

I have one 235w 30v panel on a tracer.

I am considering adding a second panel to my set up. Of a similar voltage and power.

I quite like the idea of the new tracer mppt controller with configurations for proper equalisation charge.

Would I be best getting another controller and putting the two panels on individual controllers (would I still be able to equalise with the new controller)

Or best to series/parrerel the two panel with one new larger amp controller ?

Surely the boat roof will get so hot in summer it will seriously limit the output of the panels?

Just a thought.. I've got a standard panel bought second hand from Bimble 2 yrs ago. Mounted a few inches off the roof for cooling. They are a good company in my experience.

It does limit output as solar panels really don't like getting hot. I don't have data to say to what extent this type are affected though so I don't know how much of an impact it has. You could argue that there's so much sunshine in summer, so the panels would generate sufficient as it is but I'd rather have nice cool panels generating as much as they are designed to do and full batteries by 10am :)

Quick question for the solar experts

I have one 235w 30v panel on a tracer.

I am considering adding a second panel to my set up. Of a similar voltage and power.

I quite like the idea of the new tracer mppt controller with configurations for proper equalisation charge.

Would I be best getting another controller and putting the two panels on individual controllers (would I still be able to equalise with the new controller)

Or best to series/parrerel the two panel with one new larger amp controller ?

go for the new model 40A Tracer with remote panel (150v) and series your panels together for maximum benefit.

Stick your old one on ebay or give it to BSP to use as an alternator.

go for the new model 40A Tracer with remote panel (150v) and series your panels together for maximum benefit.

Stick your old one on ebay or give it to BSP to use as an alternator.

Thanks Matty

Will do that. Don't suppose you know if the new display is a direct replacement size wise to the old one? Or will my panel need a different size hole ?