Snake

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

Wouldnt fancy putting a snake in the engine bay - they can be very sensitive to fumes of any kind. And it would not provide the heat gradient they need to thermoregulate. Besides that, you would need to run a heater( preferably a ceramic bulb),and a thermostat 24/7. Plus a light if you wanted one for display purposes. Anything that produces heat uses a lot of electricity. The only way to do it reliably would be to plug in to shore power 24/7. Might as well live in a flat.

Believe me, I've looked at all the angles over the last 3 years or so and, from the reptiles point of view, its just not worth the risk.

Not to be rude, but since you clearly know plenty about snakes, why are you asking us?

Fair enough grannykins, And Mike, just wondered if it was doable but from grannykins last post it doesn't look like it.

Edited by Dar Kuma

I kept and bred several species of snakes for over 12 years. I loved my hobby. About 3 years ago my husband and I made the definite decision to move onto a narrowboat when we retire at the end of 2016. I did lots of research. I stopped breeding my snakes, and stopped buying any more new ones.

As a result of my research I have now sold all my breeding pairs. I have left 3 of my original corn snakes and one small, undersized royal python that took a lot of hard work to raise as he was so ill as a baby. These snakes also, sad to say, willl have to be rehomed before we move onto our narrow boat.

I decided that I cannot take the risk of the electrics failing and leaving a snake, that may have just eaten a good meal, without heat. For those of you who may not know, snakes only need to eat once a week, or once a month even if they are one of the bigger species. They then need several days of decent heat so they can lie and digest their meal. To be without heat at this time, particularly if it is really cold, means that they can actually die. I made the decision that I cannot take the risk of that happening to one of my animals.

I really think that, all things considered, a narrowboat is not the place to keep reptiles.

And snakes only usually smell bad if you dont keep them clean - the same as any other pet.

Tony Abbott, Australia's PM with his budgie smugglers pictures not for the feint hearted

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&qpvt=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&qpvt=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&FORM=IGRE

I kept and bred several species of snakes for over 12 years. I loved my hobby. About 3 years ago my husband and I made the definite decision to move onto a narrowboat when we retire at the end of 2016. I did lots of research. I stopped breeding my snakes, and stopped buying any more new ones.

As a result of my research I have now sold all my breeding pairs. I have left 3 of my original corn snakes and one small, undersized royal python that took a lot of hard work to raise as he was so ill as a baby. These snakes also, sad to say, willl have to be rehomed before we move onto our narrow boat.

I decided that I cannot take the risk of the electrics failing and leaving a snake, that may have just eaten a good meal, without heat. For those of you who may not know, snakes only need to eat once a week, or once a month even if they are one of the bigger species. They then need several days of decent heat so they can lie and digest their meal. To be without heat at this time, particularly if it is really cold, means that they can actually die. I made the decision that I cannot take the risk of that happening to one of my animals.

I really think that, all things considered, a narrowboat is not the place to keep reptiles.

And snakes only usually smell bad if you dont keep them clean - the same as any other pet.

. They eat meat and like all other carnivores that smells, I found a baby hedge hog a few years ago that was to small to hibernate so kept it in my house over winter, my wife is an ocd cleaning nut and my house is spotless at all times but the smell from the hogs pooh tainted my whole house as would any other creature that eats meat

Tony Abbott, Australia's PM with his budgie smugglers pictures not for the feint hearted

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&qpvt=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&qpvt=tony+abbott+budgie+rustler&FORM=IGRE

I like that and stand corrected

There used to be a narrowboat moored on the Leeds Liverpool that had a sign in the window - "Caution, - snakes loose on this boat". Presumably it was an anti theft device and there weren't actually any reptiles aboard but would you have chanced it?

That is so obviously a log edited to look like a crocodile! By the looks of it, white lines in Paint.

2608_IMAGE_0*650,0,347x347,1;0*650,0,694No,it looks like the lesser spotted enormous crocodile as mentioned by Roald dahl.Likes to eat children apparently.

They still need a thermal gradient to digest food. In the wild they use sunlight to warm up and move away to cool down.

If its the middle of winter and they have just eaten, then the power supply fails you still have a potentially dead snake. In the wild they will brumate during the cold months, and dont usually eat.

You could, of course, brumate your snake over winter ( I used to do this with mine, turning off all the heat in the reptile room), but then you would be kind of cold on your boat. Still not worth it in my opinion.

That is so obviously a log edited to look like a crocodile! By the looks of it, white lines in Paint.

Nope. It is a genuine unedited photo. Whether it is a genuine crocodile however...

(Why would anyone take a photo of a log unless it was unusual in some way?)

You'll be able to write a book:- Narrow Snake to Carcassonne!

And a film sequel:- Snakes on a Boat!

Whats that about then?

Sorry, didn't make it very clear rolleyes.gif a sequel to the film Snakes On A Plane.

It's about snakes. On a plane. With a sequel. Snakes On A Boat. Which is about snakes. On a boat.......

Sorry, didn't make it very clear :rolleyes: a sequel to the film Snakes On A Plane.

It's about snakes. On a plane. With a sequel. Snakes On A Boat. Which is about snakes. On a boat.......

what's that about then is an oft used quote on celebrity juice, a popular comedy show, so I suspect he was pulling your leg as the title is self explanatory and did,nt really requie an explanation nor an apology either,,,

What if your not on the BCN?

Whats that about then?

I thought it was funny