Refleks burning low

valhallabh9

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, I am having endless trouble with my refleks heater.

The stove lights well every time I light it and burns with a nice blue flame. But it will only burn at a very low heat regardless of how much I turn it up.

I have cleaned it out inside the burn pot, I have cleaned out the carburettor, I have removed the small pipe that goes from the bottom of the carburettor to the stove and cleaned it out. I have even renewed the pipework between the tank and the stove thinking it might be a fuel starvation problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks David

You might need a pump I can't think what it is called at the moment, I have one fitted for my reflex as the supply is going thrugh a fuel guard filter I think it's called a supply on demand pump !

Edited by luggsy

A bit difficult to diagnose without some more information. Has the stove ever worked correctly?

The symptoms you describe - the fire lights well for a while but then does not burn at a high enough temperature points to an air lock somewhere in the system. The metering valve is very susceptible to this, especially if the pipe work has been disturbed.

As a start I would purge the fuel supply.

If the fuel is flowing at the correct rate into the bottom of the burner then it is possible that the problem is the weather. The makers of the Refleks controller refer to a phenomenon they call "the spring and autumn syndrome" which produces precisely the effect you describe. This occurs when the outside temperature is warmer than the inside of the boat. The flue works in reverse - i.e. air flows back into the stove and the stove never reaches a high enough temperature to vaporize the diesel.

Edited by koukouvagia

Thank you for your reply Koukouvagia,

The stove worked fine last winter then was shut off for the summer and has been nothing but trouble this winter.

When I removed the float mechanism there seems to be plenty fuel flowing into the carburettor. I have took out the metering valve and cleaned it and stuck the corner of a bit of a paper into the narrow slit to make sure that is clear.

In my mind the the fuel seems very slow to flow into the burn pot, sometimes I have to slide the needle in and out several times before any fuel appears at all.

It has been lit now for a couple of days now albeit it only putting out a low heat but it has all warmed up a bit.

Hi,

If it has proved troublesome following a summer lay-off, it could point to a fuel supply problem. I have a drip feed stove and have encountered similar problems in previous years.

Two summers ago I used all the oil in the dedicated fuel tank and cleaned the tank out (an amazing amount of ''crud' came out) and each Autumn I change the fuel filter (situated about a yard from the stove), this filter is usually grubby showing it is effective.

This winter my stove has performed better than ever - clear blue flame and the fire is normally run 24 hours a day for several weeks on end, following which it gets a good clean out.

Hope this helps, I am surprised at all the problems reported with these drip feed stoves - there are designed to be used in sea going boats and run continuously for days on end - the 'gentle' life on a narrowboat may not suit them.

As has been reported on another thread, the flue temperature is important and causes problems to my fire when first lit, it has to be hot enough to encourage the fire to draw well.

L

There does seem to be a lot of problems with them!

Mine if fitted on a sea going vessel, I have a separate tank to feed the stove. This is filled via the return pipe from the main engine so the fuel passes through three separate filters before going into the stove tank. Then I have a small filter between the tank and the stove, this is normally very clean when I check it.

I am sure it can't be anything to major as the stove will burn but just one speed for all occasions.

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it soon.

Edited by valhallabh9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, I am having endless trouble with my refleks heater.

The stove lights well every time I light it and burns with a nice blue flame. But it will only burn at a very low heat regardless of how much I turn it up.

I have cleaned it out inside the burn pot, I have cleaned out the carburettor, I have removed the small pipe that goes from the bottom of the carburettor to the stove and cleaned it out. I have even renewed the pipework between the tank and the stove thinking it might be a fuel starvation problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks David

The instructions for my Refleks say that it should be turned to a higher setting in winter because the cold encourages diesel to run more slowly. I realise that you have said that turning it up has not helped but in my case I have to leave the diesel pump on until the cabin is really warm at the moment. In warmer weather I can switch it off after an hour and the heater works just as well without it.

Last summer I asked the forum 'what was the point of a pump' (the stove is below the diesel tank - though about 40 feet from it) but since winter, I know.

Pumps are fairly cheap and easily fitted but as I am away from the boat, I cannot tell you which model I use.

Frank.

Frank.

I am just back from a trip and had similar problems with the stove. It has worked well in previous years. The diesel appears to me to be of a higher viscosity than normal. Can the problem be the dreaded diesel bug ? Does that change the viscosity of the fuel ?

If the fuel is flowing at the correct rate into the bottom of the burner then it is possible that the problem is the weather. The makers of the Refleks controller refer to a phenomenon they call "the spring and autumn syndrome" which produces precisely the effect you describe. This occurs when the outside temperature is warmer than the inside of the boat. The flue works in reverse - i.e. air flows back into the stove and the stove never reaches a high enough temperature to vaporize the diesel.

I always put some scrunched up tissue paper in the flue elbow and light it at the same time as lighting the flame as this warms up the flue pronto aiding the "draw".

check that the metering valve is REALLY free. It is very easy to get the spring the wrong side of the locating tabs and then the valve won't move much, if at all. Don't ask how I found that one out!

I agree. The valve has to be absolutely free. It should spring up and down very easily when you push it down and it has to be put back in the correct way round. It is possible to put it back in the wrong way. From memory there are 3 stainless steel arms and one is shorter or longer than the other two.

If you can't increase the flame size I think the valve might be stuck, unless the diesel supply is restricted. I would not start adjusting the high and low screw settings. They are factory set and have red paint sealing the settings.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be to discover the cause of the problem

Btw adding paraffin to the diesel will thin it down to counteract the thickening that occurs in cold weather.

Edited by swift1894