Holiday 2015

Scarletgirl

Featured Posts

It's that time of year again when we have to decide where to go for our annual 2 weeks on the canals. We've narrowed our choices down to either the Cheshire Ring or the Leeds & Liverpool - basically because of the availability of the hire boats. It's just the 2 of us, we have a few years of hiring "under our belt", I (usually) do the locks whilst Mr S is at the helm (typical hirers!!), we enjoy sampling the local food & beverages (otherwise know as pubs in the evening!) and like to spend as much time as possible on the boat rather than too much exploring the local sights - though a leisurely time so no more than 6-7hrs travelling/day. If doing the Cheshire Ring we would start from Bunbury - I've noticed that some are doing the Ring in a week so will 2 weeks be too long? If doing the L&L we'll be starting from either Appleby Bridge or possibly Silsden & would like to go th Wigan & back - is that feasible in the time available? Any advice to help us decide would be warmly welcomed.

It's that time of year again when we have to decide where to go for our annual 2 weeks on the canals. We've narrowed our choices down to either the Cheshire Ring or the Leeds & Liverpool - basically because of the availability of the hire boats. It's just the 2 of us, we have a few years of hiring "under our belt", I (usually) do the locks whilst Mr S is at the helm (typical hirers!!), we enjoy sampling the local food & beverages (otherwise know as pubs in the evening!) and like to spend as much time as possible on the boat rather than too much exploring the local sights - though a leisurely time so no more than 6-7hrs travelling/day. If doing the Cheshire Ring we would start from Bunbury - I've noticed that some are doing the Ring in a week so will 2 weeks be too long? If doing the L&L we'll be starting from either Appleby Bridge or possibly Silsden & would like to go th Wigan & back - is that feasible in the time available? Any advice to help us decide would be warmly welcomed.

Hi

How much actual boating you do is entirely a personal thing. In our early days we charged around for 8/10 hours a day. When I worked with a hire fleet I used to try and advise peeps to enjoy the journey and take your time. When out and about we rarely do more than 3 hours in a day now, and very nearly never stop on visitor moorings always try to be in the country somewhere. So in short NO 2 weeks is certainly not too long but of course up to you.

Enjoy

Tim

Starting at Bunbury, you're on the Four Counties ring rather than the Cheshire Ring, I think. The latter goes through Manchester, the 4 Counties goes down to wolverhampton, across to Great Hayward, up to Middlewich and home. Or the other way... You can do it in a week, but its long days and no exploring. A fortnight gives you the time to enjoy it and you don't have to worry if you want a day off because of the weather! Been too long since I did the L&L to advise, but that's a stunning waterway too...

Thank you both. We did the Four Counties a few years ago, from Bunbury and in a week. Promised ourselves that we'd never do that again - days far too long & we felt exhausted by the end of it - though strangly pleased with ourselves with what we achieved !!!! After that started booking 2 weeks away but always seem tempted to push ourselves - just to make good use of our precious 2 weeks on the boat. If we go from Bunbury this year we aim to turn Right onto the Mac up to Manchester, joining part of the Four Counties before retracing our steps from the Mac back to Bunbury. My worry if we do the L&L is that aiming for Wigan will mean long days travelling with pressure on us to get back to base on time.

2 weeks out and back from Silsden to Wigan is certainly doable, but bear in mind the Wigan flight is tiring and best done one day either way.

Or you could just wind at the top and forget the flight.

As to your choice, I have never done the Cheshire ring so cannot comment,

I have done the L&L several times now and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Edited by MJG

Thanks MJG. Very tempted by the L&L. Think we'll have another look at the boats from Silsden. Unless anyone out there recommends the Cheshire Ring?!!

The boats from Silsden are OK, functional as hire boats,,ours was basic but met all our needs.

PM me if you need more info.

You could also look at boats from pennine cruisers at Skipton.

Sadly canal boat escapes at Barnoldswick no longer hire, which is a shame.

If you need any advice on the Cheshire ring, my thread is a good place to visit. Cheshire Ring Overnight Stops. Yes it's more about mooring but it has plenty of other advise as well.

If you are still set on departing form Banbury you will be better off doing the Four Counties Ring. If you wished to do the Cheshire ring from there it will be a solid 14 hour days for 2 weeks which is not feasible. Which would include the FCR anyway.

Edited spelling

Edited by Cruising Mike

Sorry OP, disregard my earlier post as i thought you said BANbury not BUNbury so my feedback was pointless.

Having corrected myself and got the proper orientation for Bunbury, it is indeed a lot closer to the Cheshire Ring than the other!

Starting from here you could do both the Four Counties and Cheshire Ring whilst cutting out the stretch between Kidsgrove and Middlewich. This is doable with 7.5 hrs cruising for 12 days. Depending on the season this gives you enough time to stop occasionally along the way for pubs, etc.

Bunbury - Market Drayton - Autherley JCT - GT Haywood JCT - Harecastle - Macclesfield - Manchester - Middlewich - Bunbury (or the other way)

Alternatively, you could do the Four Counties and do the Llangollen return as well.

From Silsden, Skipton or Apperley Bridge to Wigan is eminently doable in 2 weeks. It usually takes us about 5 days from Wigan to Skipton, although that is longish days. It's certainly not worth doing the 21 locks just to see Wigan and then to turn round and do them again, but you should have time to head out west into some lovely country towards Burscough.

For a wonderful although lengthy cruise you could go for the Pennine ring, carrying on from Wigan to Manchester, over the Rochdale to Sowerby Bridge and along the Aire & Calder to Leeds and back. That's 184 miles and 215 locks, so not for the fainthearted or if you want a relaxing time, but it's a fantastic trip.

Have a look at Snaygill Boats as well, based just east of Skipton. Also note that it's Apperley Bridge I assume you mean, not to be confused with Appley Bridge near Wigan and also on the L&L.

From Bunbury the Cheshire Ring could be done on a leisurely timetable in 2 weeks - plenty to do off the boat if you want to take your time. Make sure you go up the Peak Forest to Bugsworth Basin. You could also probably fit in the Caldon Canal, my personal favourite of all.

There are a lot of other hire bases actually on the Cheshire Ring, including off the top of my head Claymoore Navigation at Preston Brook, Black Prince at Acton Bridge (and also at Stoke if you decide on the Caldon), Andersen Boats at Middlewich, Middlewich Narrowboats and Heritage Boats at Scholar Green.

Wherever you choose you'll have a great time.

From Bunbury the Cheshire ring would be a relaxing two weeks giving you plenty of time to stop off and visit the many places of interest you pass. As we had plenty of time last year we stopped an extra night on the Macclesfield and visited Littlt Morton Hall which we had always shot past.It will also give you time to visit Manchester if you wish and places like Dunham on the Bridgewater. Even take a trip over Barton tank, and up to Bugsworth

Hi everyone. Many thanks for all your replies. Both options obviously have their merits & Mike, your post on overnight stops on the Cheshire is already being looked at in detail by the beer loving Mr S ?! Think that whichever one we decide on this year we'll just have to do the other next year!! We're going on the last 2 weeks in June so final decision might be down to what boat we can get! John - will have a look at the companies you suggest. Roll on retirement - 18 months & counting ?

I can second the recommendation for Silsden. Their boats are comfortable, well maintained and location wise is great. I would be tempted to head to Barrowford, turn round, back to Leeds and then return. Achievable in 2 weeks and a lovely mix. You could even venture out on to the River Aire if you had time.

Hi Scarlet,

I introduced the better half to canal boating with a training course with http://www.bearboating.co.uk who are based in Apperley Bridge and have subsequently had two holidays with them as we fell in love with the area and peacefulness of the canal. The LL is superb, especially across the wilderness at Bank Newton and I have fallen madly in love with Skipton (mostly the Narrowboat Inn clapping.gif )

Their boats are a cut above the rest of the hire fleet - pun intended ;-) and Andy & Jeanette are really helpful.

• Greenie 1

As it happens, our own boat (our 1/12th of a boat! the other 11/12ths are there too!) is on the Four Counties ring at Nantwich, and the last of our hire holidays was on the Leeds Liverpool on a BearBOAT as mentioned above.

For me, they are very different, and I like them both - but if I had a preference, it would be LL. Much quieter, and more varied. Both have a wide range of towns and villages, pubs and restaurants - but as in everything in life, North is always best!

I'd start East of Wigan and head to Leeds riley green or Hapton valley boats and head to Leeds and back fantastic cruising including the bingley 5 rise and foulridge tunnel. Shire criluisers also base a couple of boats at foulridge so that might give you some interesting one way options

I'd avoid silsden boats just because there are better boats from the likes of Pennine at skip ton and bear boats. Silsden boats tend to swarm on change over days as there are so many and all the local boaters hate them

Cheshire ring is s leisurely two weeks so you could probably spend a bit of time in Manchester and maybe nip down the Anderton lift

Well, decision made at last. JessicaBoo from bear boating booked

How did we decide? Well it was the choice of boat in the end. Most availability from other companies was for 6 berth boats for the weeks we need so we would have had space we wouldn't need but with smaller sitting & kitchen areas. In the past we've hired the "Golden" boats from Ango Welsh - 1 double bed, 2 comfy chairs, proper table & chairs and a decent size kitchen - especially useful as we enjoy cooking & eating in some nights - especially our Sunday Roast!!

I was also keen to try a different layout - this boat's a reverse layout with a pull out/cross over bed. We're seriously considering buying a boat when we retire (used one, not enough cash for new!) so trying something a bit different will help us decide what we like & don't like.

We will certainly do the Cheshire Ring one day - we hope to have plenty of retirement years ahead of us for lots more exploring

Many thanks for all your helpfull comments. I'm sure I'll be back on here again before June to ask more questions about the L&L

Rhian