Bowman blowing

Benno 1688

Featured Posts

Firstly you are not over-filling it, are you?

If the Bowman is the only header tank you have, (i.e. there is no external header tank), then it has to accommodate all the expansion of the water as the engine heats up, which, depending on skin tank dimensions, could be a lot.

It is normal to start off cold with the level maybe about an inch below the neck of the cap, otherwise expansion will often force water out as the engine heats.

Secondly how big is your skin tank, (length, height and "thickness"). this will affect both how well it is able to cool the engine, but also how much water is actually in the whole system that needs to expand.

Thirdly, is this water expulsion only whilst the engine is being worked hard, or does it still happen if the engine runs only on idle or low load?

Finally who built the boat, as there are some builders who are known to have produced boats with inadequate skin tanks, (but please don't ask me how I know this!).

Does anyone know the name of the head gasket test fluid on ebay

You would be after something like this.

(I'm not recommending this one - just an example - the first one that I found).

Another search term to try is "Block Tester Kit"

Example here

Hi Alanits a springer and yes it is when the engine is worked hard, There is also a calorifer attached does that make anydifferance.Just a thought would the thermostate not working properly cause the same issue.

Edited by Benno 1688

The one hour delay makes me think it isn't a head gasket failure either. I'd expect the problem to be present all the time if cylinder compression was leaking into the cooling system.

MtB

hi all

my 1800 bmc runs fine for about an hour then it starts to over heat I ran with the engine cover open and its blowing water out of the over fow pipe on the filling cap. It appears to have loads of air in the system, any ideas.

Is this an assumption based on the cooling water being ejected, or is there a temperature gauge telling you this?

What goes the gauge read when the problem begins?

MtB