Nottingham to Newark and back

frahkn

Featured Posts

Really not trying to be a doom & gloom merchant but unless you have experienced the force of the sluices when going 'up' you have no idea of the forces involved.

I once tried to hold the boat on the centre rope whilst SWMBO operated the gates - the 'flood' got between the boat and the lock wall and just whipped me around totally out of control, Luckily we were the only boat in the lock.

Maybe check with C&RT when they actually restart the manned locks or, delay your trip a week or so.

I was going to put the Newark trip at the start of a longer journey (three months or so) now I might put it at the end instead - it shouldn't matter - we are based at Mercia.

Thank everybody for the advice.

Frank.

Hi again Frank

Lots of peeps are giving you good advice but the may be inadvertantly scaring you re how fierce the water is. When you operate them yourself you will control how quickly and by how much the paddles lift/open. when you press the open button they will do just that but they stop when you take your finger off so you can inch either side little by little and have very little water ingress with very little buffeting. Just take as long as you want. drop them ocasionaly if you wish to realy slow the action down.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

I go up and down the trent a lot delivering collecting boats on my own ,Listen to mrs smelly,dont listen to the scare mongers YOU control the force of water with a simple press of the button ,depending on flow nottingham to newark is around 7/8 hours add an hour or 2 for coming back up stream . if your not nimble tho the lock walls are a but hight to get on and you may need to use the ladders to get on and off at burton joyce, gunthorpe, and hazzleford ,,all the locks have moorings available ,lock keepers start officially 31 march but some do start week before ,and for mooring in newark use the floating jetty and turn to come back upstream to moor there is a good flow on that bit

Hi Frank

You should be fine for moorings next month. There are several spots in Newark. Also Farndon just south of Newark has a bit and Farndon marina have some.

There are moorings at Gunthorpe and all other locks such as Holme and Stoke bardolph ( my fave ) That section of the Trent is fab, all in all its a great river.

Nottingham to Newark is a doddle in a day so a couple of days gives time for leisure stops!!

Tim

Mooring at Holme Lock may be difficult just now. A new hydro electric plant is being built and the visitor moorings are pretty much totally occupied by the long term moorers displaced from their moorings during the works.

I go up and down the trent a lot delivering collecting boats on my own ,Listen to mrs smelly,dont listen to the scare mongers YOU control the force of water with a simple press of the button ,depending on flow nottingham to newark is around 7/8 hours add an hour or 2 for coming back up stream . if your not nimble tho the lock walls are a but hight to get on and you may need to use the ladders to get on and off at burton joyce, gunthorpe, and hazzleford ,,all the locks have moorings available ,lock keepers start officially 31 march but some do start week before ,and for mooring in newark use the floating jetty and turn to come back upstream to moor there is a good flow on that bit

To be fair I dont think anyone has been scaremongering and a lot of good advice has been given.

It is ok saying thet YOU control the force of the water but what if you are sharing the lock and YOU are not the one controlling the sluices?

Maybe I've got it wrong (SWMBO normally does the locks) but I was under the impression that the lock operation (opening the sluices) was a one-hit operation - press the button and let go, you don't need to hold the button pressed.

The only way to stop the flow is to hit the emergency button where everything drops into the closed position.

Maybe I've got it wrong (SWMBO normally does the locks) but I was under the impression that the lock operation (opening the sluices) was a one-hit operation - press the button and let go, you don't need to hold the button pressed.

The only way to stop the flow is to hit the emergency button where everything drops into the closed position.

No. You can lower the sluices to reduce the flow.

But that's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted if a problem has occurred in the lock already rolleyes.gif

I seem the remember the A&C locks are more like you describe though.

No. You can lower the sluices to reduce the flow.

But that's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted if a problem has occurred in the lock already rolleyes.gif

I seem the remember the A&C locks are more like you describe though.

Yes I think the A and C are one hit then gradual, not sure I havnt been up there for 3 years. The trent is as I have said absolutely fine WHEN you have sole control so tis better to take charge but more than likely singlehanding will be the name of the game in march. Even in the summer very often only one boat at a time traverses those locks.

Tim