Salters Lode

by'eck

Featured Posts

Anyone know how the repairs are coming on? The pdf file on the stoppage was published last October so the optimist in me considers the possibility of an earlier opening to the documented end of Friday March 27th.

I know there is also some work on Denver sluice to coincide with this but that is scheduled to be completed well before.

Hope it works better than 2009 when they replaced the bottom gate. We left Hartford on the day it was scheduled to reopen. Visited the chandlery at Ely and chatting, as you do, found that reopening was delayed. Then spent a month shuffling between Cambridge and Market Downham before the lock was ready. There were 4 of us at Denver in the day. The first boat left and after a very long wait the lock keeper said they couldn't get the bottom gate go shut. Eventually it was decided that he would wait in the lock until the tide made a level, meanwhile the rest of us would lock down and wait on the pontoon and in the chamber until given the word to go. We all set off, us last, but the middle!e boat turned too late and was stuck against the tyres at the lock entrance, meaning we had to stop mid stream. A bit disconcerting with the mud banks showing each side and getting bigger all time. The good thing was it showed me I had to turn earlier than I originally thought.

Speaking of knowing when to make the turn into Salters I was nearly caught out last year when I went through on a rinsing tide for the first time. I was beginning to turn at my usual spot and saw Paul (the lockie) frantically waving me to continue downstream. I followed his advise and must have covered another 150 yds before he signalled me to turn. As she swung around I travelled a good 100 yds and was ideally lined up for a smooth run into the lock.

A good lock keeper is worth listening to.

Thanks Simon - always check your boat as I pass but no one around.

Thanks - I appreciate that (especially as I left the weedhatch off for a couple of weeks in January for the paint to dry...). I hope to get to the boat fairly soon - working in Nottingham today - and son #1 will be on for a few days during half term.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Just spoken to Paul who was happy to tell me that one gate is being fitted today and the other will follow in a few days. IF all goes well the lock could be open again next week. He suggested phoning early next week to confirm

Number 51 on the list, but that hasn't been up dated since December. Reckon another year or so.

Brandon Creek until then.

Very sensible, Danny and Natalie at little Ouse are lovely (assuming you're there) and there's plenty of boating along the tributaries off the main boring stretch of the Ouse from Ely to Denver.

http://www.gov.uk/anglian-waterways-river-conditions-closures-and-restrictions

The EA seems to regard November 'till Easter as open season for imposing closures at little or no notice.

MP.

That's what happens with an officially acknowledged "boating season"..... Hopefully CRT won't follow suit.