Towpath worry with Bird Flu

Featured Posts

I dont think its as cut and dried as that, we only need one more scare away from the farms and all hell will break loose, it will be a media frenzy, remember, its a quiet news year

Well all we can do is sit and fret about it :banghead: . As a great philosopher once said (was it Doris Day?) 'whatever will be will be'.

Besides, I see from your profile you work for BW (and E baston is member no.2 on your website) don't you have any inside goss on the subject? Surely BW have some sort of contingency plan?

Well all we can do is sit and fret about it :banghead: . As a great philosopher once said (was it Doris Day?) 'whatever will be will be'.

Besides, I see from your profile you work for BW (and E baston is member no.2 on your website) don't you have any inside goss on the subject? Surely BW have some sort of contingency plan?

Mr Baston doesn't come to play here anymore, who upset him?>

Seems to be lots of dead swans around the Witham area.......have they got bird flu? (bet it was Reynard)

On a serious note - if you do see lots of dead birds that that, erm, aren't dead for a readily obvious reason you really should inform Defra (The number is: 08459 335 577). Just in case ... always better safe than sorry.

Have a gander (!) at Defra info on AI in the UK

[edit for typos and addition of URL]

[edit for me being an arse and typing without thinking]

Edited by Chris J W

I do work for B/W but use this and OTHER sites as a canal lover and user, if I get any useful information that users will find interesting I will gladly share it with you all, as for Mr Baston, I don’t know him and have never met him, but he seems a nice guy by his PM`s and he does answer questions relating to B/W on my forum when he can.

As for inside information, well,,,, on the bank you’re always the last to know.

Dont phone the RSPCA or a vet , who won't be any help at all ......

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) have established a 24-hour hotline, enabling members of the public to report the suspicious death of birds in the United Kingdom. The number is: 08459 335 577

Dont phone the RSPCA or a vet , who won't be any help at all ......

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) have established a 24-hour hotline, enabling members of the public to report the suspicious death of birds in the United Kingdom. The number is: 08459 335 577

Actually, you are right. I had a case of "being an arse and typing without thinking"[*] back there. I've edited my post accordingly.

[*] (It's what happens when you're thinking about two similar things at the same time!)

I do work for B/W but use this and OTHER sites as a canal lover and user, if I get any useful information that users will find interesting I will gladly share it with you all, as for Mr Baston, I don’t know him and have never met him, but he seems a nice guy by his PM`s and he does answer questions relating to B/W on my forum when he can.

As for inside information, well,,,, on the bank you’re always the last to know.

I know what you mean. I used to work for Northants CC as a highways engineer and got fed up of members of the public telling me stuff my bosses should have told us first (including: 'guess what you've been privatised and you'll be working for ws atkins soon'. I left quickly after).

This idea of closing the tow paths (as in during the foot and mouth crisis), what exactly does this mean, please? How does this affect liveaboards?

We were allowed to access the nearest bridge by foot or by bicycle but were not allowed to move the boats (except for water when 'necessary') and no dog walking but they were allowed out for a leak etc. We were stuck opposite the Kodak building in Hemel for the Foot in Mouth episode...

We were allowed to access the nearest bridge by foot or by bicycle but were not allowed to move the boats (except for water when 'necessary') and no dog walking but they were allowed out for a leak etc. We were stuck opposite the Kodak building in Hemel for the Foot in Mouth episode...

I was stuck outside the stophouse! Very amusing as I had just rescued Taplow from erdington with a condemnation order issued for it (crane out and destroy, no notice required). Lucy and Taplow stuck on one of the choicest 48hr moorings in the country and BW pretending I wasn't there whilst simultaneously telling me I couldn't move.

I was stuck outside the stophouse! Very amusing as I had just rescued Taplow from erdington with a condemnation order issued for it (crane out and destroy, no notice required). Lucy and Taplow stuck on one of the choicest 48hr moorings in the country and BW pretending I wasn't there whilst simultaneously telling me I couldn't move.

Were any of you charged for "over staying" at visitor morrings, then? I'd be a bit peeved if I got a bill for an over-stay that wasn't my fault!

Seems to be lots of dead swans around the Witham area.......have they got bird flu? (bet it was Reynard)

No Malc. I think the fact that most of them have no heads indicates that the foxes have been busy.

But yes, there are a lot of them this year! But then, I think the general swan population near us is larger than usual, although Smudge has just disageed with me so...... :P

Were any of you charged for "over staying" at visitor morrings, then? I'd be a bit peeved if I got a bill for an over-stay that wasn't my fault!

No, BW relaxed their regulations by necessity really and the time was positively good for some who were wanting to stay in a fixed place anyway :P but at the time we were keen travellers and it was a PITA.

No Malc. I think the fact that most of them have no heads indicates that the foxes have been busy.

But yes, there are a lot of them this year! But then, I think the general swan population near us is larger than usual, although Smudge has just disageed with me so...... :P

Yes, pleased you agree with me it was Reynard. Roy has lost all but one of his chickens.

A few years ago I noticed there appeared to be more swans, and there is. Swan population has almost trebbled in the Brayford. Some are dying, and there have been attempts to discover why. When I first bought Wud, I was held up by RSPCA catching swans in the Glory Hole on my first trip from Burton Waters to Bardney. Despite several theories, the most likely is natural selection, due to overpopulation.

Can't prove it, but it appears it started with the F & M.

EA were excused cutting riverbanks, and didn't start again (until I told them) Didn't realize until later obviously. Then noticed the weed in the river was worse than ever before, partly due to a wet spring washing fertiliser from the farmland. Soon the river is 'alive' with fish, plenty of food so crap fishing (as has been reported to me my many of the fishermen I've seen).

Kingfishers seen for the first time for years in the last 2 or 3 (again so I've been told my people who've been on the river for years)

So the rivers never had more life.....including swans it seems. But on the Slea? probably the same number, especially as all the fish were wiped out two or three years ago.

No, BW relaxed their regulations by necessity really and the time was positively good for some who were wanting to stay in a fixed place anyway :P but at the time we were keen travellers and it was a PITA.

How long were you all forced to stay in the one place ? It must have been months I assume ?

• 8 months later...