advice from experienced boaters will be appreciated

dhutch2501

Featured Posts

Going up through locks is generally easier in some ways,not in others. It's easier to shut the gates behind you as you come out as you can stop the boat in the lock mouth, hop off and shut the gates and jump back on. You do have to shin up the ladder to get out of the lock, of course. Going down, you can avoid the ladder by pulling the boat out on a rope, and can then shut the gates without tying the boat up again and having to go back. Really, it doesn't make a huge diffrence to the time taken, but it can to your back!

I do think you're wise to go for the extra week - that way you should have time to enjoy it all. None of it's rocket science - you'll find which is the easiest way for you quickly enough. But the key to all of it is to take it easy, especially if singlehanding.

The good news today is that I now have confirmation the single handed hire has been accepted............so, as the younger people say..............GAME ON!!

Brilliant.

If you never visit the forum between now and then be sure to pop back whilst on your trip, I'm sure you'll find there are a few forum members in the area then who'll be happy to give you a hand through locks.

Hi dhutch2501 from a fellow "sandgroper" that is totally addicted to narrowboating. I have never done any singlehanding and I am not sure that I would be brave enough, even at 59 let alone 75, to tackle your planned trip for your first attempt on the cut. There is an old saying that less is more and I know that when you travel as far as we do to take on the canals, you feel that you need to do as much as possible. Experience tells us that slowing down and smelling the roses is so much better. We for instance in 2012 left from Mercia Marina in Willington and did the Cheshire Ring in two weeks with a total of 10 people(8 Aussies) on two boats. My wife and I are doing the Cheshire Ring from just off the ring at Venetian Marina from the 9th of May until 23rd of May this year because we felt that we didn't give ourselves enough time in 2012 to do justice to it.

Take your time and enjoy the whole experience.

Its probably a little late to say, but....... Usually, when you book a boat online from a Hire Fleet, they ask you to fill out a form, such as personal details etc. And, from my experience at least, when the form asks how many people, 2 is usually the standard minimum from the drop down list (2,3,4,5,6...etc). That is a good indicator of whether that company allows single handlers or not.

Which ever you plan around the Four Counties, enjoy it as it is a beautiful ring. Although i would suggest doing the ring first and then if time permits, include one of either Llangollen or Caldon.

My suggestion is a bit different, and I suggest getting someone else to come along for the trip. If you are keen to do the trip singlehanded, you can still do this with someone else on board. I've done a fair bit of this myself over the years.

I would not want to hold anyone up by single handing and I definitely would not want to risk a sinking because of others helping without being invited, which happens all the time.

On the one occasion that I did fall in, I was very glad there was someone to help me get out. Without them, I might not be writing this and being dead I would have missed out on 30 more years of boating, hopefully more. Falling in is usually a joke, but not always.

Anyway, enjoy the trip, whatever you decide.

I would not want to hold anyone up by single handing and I definitely would not want to risk a sinking because of others helping without being invited, which happens all the time.

Erm...i single handle all the time and don't think I've ever held anyone up. If fact it's quite the opposite sometimes.

After a decent instruction from the hire staff the OP might take to it like a duck to water and whizz through locks. If not he could just let others in front of him if needs be. I'm sure he'd rather do this than invite someone else along when really he wanted some time on his own.

I realise that sometimes people might try and help uninvited, but this can easily be resolved politely with no harm done. I'm forever getting people saying "oh you're on your own, you stay on the boat and we'll do it for you". I normally reply politely something along the lines of "thanks but it's ok, I'm used to it". What i really mean is thanks, but i can do it quicker and safer on my own. If i thought i was holding anyone up I'd invite them to go in front.

To the OP, single handing is very satisfying so go for it if the hire company will let you.

I realise that sometimes people might try and help uninvited, but this can easily be resolved politely with no harm done. I'm forever getting people saying "oh you're on your own, you stay on the boat and we'll do it for you". I normally reply politely something along the lines of "thanks but it's ok, I'm used to it". What i really mean is thanks, but i can do it quicker and safer on my own.

I get this constantly too, but I can't do a lock single handed faster alone than with crew from the boat behind me operating the lock with me staying on board. Nothing LIKE as quick!

I agree though that crews of four can often hold me up when I'm single handing. They are having a lovely time chatting and with a "Narrowboating? What's the hurry?" attitude when I'm trying to press on to get to the pub before they stop serving food...

MtB

A can see how a competent singlehander can be quicker than a floundering crew, but if the crew were competent, it would be physically impossible - you can't be in two places at once. On your own, you'd need to open the gate, walk/run back to the boat, drive it out, close the gate. Those with a crew can have the boat moving as soon as the gate is opening/opened and have it closing as soon as the boat is clear. Maybe its possible using a rope when the lock is full to approach the time of the crewed boat, but when its at the bottom, depending on how deep, its unlikely.

We've been helped countless times and never really had any conflicts - its a safe bet to get them to do the gates etc. Also when singlehanding in the spring/summer/autumn there's a good chance you'll encounter someone else at pretty much every lock, so the times you truly have to "singlehand" the lock may be rare.

I am a narrowboat virgin, although I have 50+ years live-aboard boating and yachting experience.

I am planning a canal cruise holiday for 2015 either in Spring or later in Autumn.

From research I have settled on the Four Counties Ring and including the Llangollen Canal and the Caldon Canal.

I anticipate leaving from Beeston and circuiting anti-clockwise.

I will be singlehanded - I am a fit and able 75yr old Australian male.

I have not yet set a time limit for the cruise duration of this holiday, but I believe it will be around three weeks.

Questions I would appreciate comment on are:

1. Given the route and travel direction which is better seasonally and for scenic beauty - Spring or Autumn?

2. In relation to the first question is the anti-clockwise travel direction better or worse for scenic beauty, or for any other reason?

3. My preference is to be enjoying the actual cruising rather than spending time touring castles and towns (both of which I will undertake in moderation), in this context is three weeks cruising time for this journey sufficient, or insufficient?

4. Being singlehanded and never having been involved with locks - is this journey considered by those with experience and especially experience over these canals / locks, over ambitious or is it do-able?

Any and all additional advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers,

David boat.gif

There are many interesting videos on youtube that may give some idea of what's involved. Try this link as a starter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOzOy5FqTI

Edited by Flyboy

Erm...i single handle all the time and don't think I've ever held anyone up. If fact it's quite the opposite sometimes.

After a decent instruction from the hire staff the OP might take to it like a duck to water and whizz through locks. If not he could just let others in front of him if needs be. I'm sure he'd rather do this than invite someone else along when really he wanted some time on his own.

I realise that sometimes people might try and help uninvited, but this can easily be resolved politely with no harm done. I'm forever getting people saying "oh you're on your own, you stay on the boat and we'll do it for you". I normally reply politely something along the lines of "thanks but it's ok, I'm used to it". What i really mean is thanks, but i can do it quicker and safer on my own. If i thought i was holding anyone up I'd invite them to go in front.

To the OP, single handing is very satisfying so go for it if the hire company will let you.

Please don't forget that the man is 75 and has never done a lock let alone singlehanded a lock. I tend to agree with Mango that maybe a friend may be a good idea.

Please don't forget that the man is 75 and has never done a lock let alone singlehanded a lock. I tend to agree with Mango that maybe a friend may be a good idea.

He does say he's a fit 75... I've just been talking to the guy who moors next to me, who is 78 with two very wonky knees. does all his own boat maintenance and nipped up from Stoke (singlehanding) to the Weaver last year with no problems on the Chesire locks. Locks really aren't very hard work on your own as long as you take it sensibly. And while we are certainly a bit slower than a boat with a full crew, as far as I can tell there's only a few minutes in it once you know what you're doing. Wide locks are a pain, but on that cruise there aren't many of them, if any. Beeston iron lock is the only logistic puzzle because of the lack of ladder, but it's quite possible with a long rope and a boathook. With 50 years sailing experience, he obviously is aware of his capabilities.

Some locks are ideal for single boating with areas to step off and on boat (Cropredy is a perfect one when going up) but you wonder why others are designed to be so awkward with by washes that push boat off the approach line for lock entrance and no steps to get down to stern as its leaving the lock.

this^^ all my best trips have been whilst single handing, i do long days and enjoy the challenge of doing the locks as smoothly as i can and of course laughing at myself when i feck up, i also happily accept help when offered, although i do keep a polite eye on whats going on

A can see how a competent singlehander can be quicker than a floundering crew, but if the crew were competent, it would be physically impossible - you can't be in two places at once. On your own, you'd need to open the gate, walk/run back to the boat, drive it out, close the gate. Those with a crew can have the boat moving as soon as the gate is opening/opened and have it closing as soon as the boat is clear. Maybe its possible using a rope when the lock is full to approach the time of the crewed boat, but when its at the bottom, depending on how deep, its unlikely.

We've been helped countless times and never really had any conflicts - its a safe bet to get them to do the gates etc. Also when singlehanding in the spring/summer/autumn there's a good chance you'll encounter someone else at pretty much every lock, so the times you truly have to "singlehand" the lock may be rare.

A good example of this is an electrically operated bridge where the boater has to get back on board, move the boat and go back to open the bridge. It's hardly surprising that some bridges have a restriction on opening during rush hours.

We have cruised quite a bit with a single handed friend and he is a little faster than us, at least on narrow locks.

We have a heavy 70 foot boat which needs to be carefully positioned in the lock with the front right up to the gate.

His shorter and lighter boat gives him the option to enter the lock faster and get off the boat before its fully stopped.

Assuming the OP gets a boat of about 50 foot or less he should be fine.

He should also not be able to cause a significant hold-up because if the boat behind feels he is going too slowly through the locks they can simply offer to help.

...............Dave

A good example of this is an electrically operated bridge where the boater has to get back on board, move the boat and go back to open the bridge. It's hardly surprising that some bridges have a restriction on opening during rush hours.

That's always a pain, and I always feel a bit guilty. But then I think, why can't one of the waiting motorists hop out of their car and close the bridge for me (or open it, depending on which way you look at it)? By the time it's shut I've got the boat tied up and am back for the keys. I've managed this a few times when there's been a cyclist waiting and once or twice with handy pedestrians. Motorists just sit there and fume.

That's always a pain, and I always feel a bit guilty. But then I think, why can't one of the waiting motorists hop out of their car and close the bridge for me (or open it, depending on which way you look at it)? By the time it's shut I've got the boat tied up and am back for the keys. I've managed this a few times when there's been a cyclist waiting and once or twice with handy pedestrians. Motorists just sit there and fume.

The danger with letting the public help is that there is a chance that they could accidentally close a bridge on a boat. That's probably less likely with an electric bridge than a manual lift bridge, for example. I've worked a few electric bridges to help boaters because I carry a BWB key (sorry a Canal & River Trust Facilities Key), even when I'm not boating. Others have helped me in the same way.

I have been reading all the experienced advices and comments offered and I express my gratitude to all contributors, there is a lot coming forward to me that I need to, and will, diligently consider.

Clearly my being single handed is of concern to some, as is the length of the journey I have proposed, and these are the expressed experiences I originally hoped would come forward - so thank you for these comments particularly, and in anticipation of possibly more that may follow.

Of course, I would prefer not to be single handed but circumstances prevent my wife from joining in with this particular journey - however, I am endeavouring to enlist another hand or hands via Aussie family (no joy here at the moment), or European teenage grandchildren if they are able to get away from their studies. Still working on that.

On the length of the journey (now clockwise) - apart from actually completing the entire journey as planned, I certainly have time enroute to decide about undertaking the Caldon branch; I also have time enroute before the first and subsequent points of no return to cut the journey short by retracing my outward route; and I have time enroute to decide about undertaking the Llangollen branch, so I am not really 'locked in' (no pun intended!).

I assure you all I am very conscious of my limitations, I will be enjoying every moment of what ever the final journey turns out to be. At the present time it is likely this may be the only time I get to do this canal cruise so I do intend to make the most of it if it is doable and without pushing myself. Experienced respondents suggest the proposed journey is doable and Canalplan AC suggests it involves an average of 5 hours travel each day - if I do the full journey.

But there is time for me to fully review and modify any aspect if that is warranted.

I will visit this topic from time to time to read your further valued contributions and to respond to you all.

There are too many contributors to mention and thank by name, however I particularly acknowledge the contributions of harleyj who comes from my corner of the world.

Cheers for now.

I have been reading all the experienced advices and comments offered and I express my gratitude to all contributors, there is a lot coming forward to me that I need to, and will, diligently consider.

Clearly my being single handed is of concern to some, as is the length of the journey I have proposed, and these are the expressed experiences I originally hoped would come forward - so thank you for these comments particularly, and in anticipation of possibly more that may follow.

Of course, I would prefer not to be single handed but circumstances prevent my wife from joining in with this particular journey - however, I am endeavouring to enlist another hand or hands via Aussie family (no joy here at the moment), or European teenage grandchildren if they are able to get away from their studies. Still working on that.

On the length of the journey (now clockwise) - apart from actually completing the entire journey as planned, I certainly have time enroute to decide about undertaking the Caldon branch; I also have time enroute before the first and subsequent points of no return to cut the journey short by retracing my outward route; and I have time enroute to decide about undertaking the Llangollen branch, so I am not really 'locked in' (no pun intended!).

I assure you all I am very conscious of my limitations, I will be enjoying every moment of what ever the final journey turns out to be. At the present time it is likely this may be the only time I get to do this canal cruise so I do intend to make the most of it if it is doable and without pushing myself. Experienced respondents suggest the proposed journey is doable and Canalplan AC suggests it involves an average of 5 hours travel each day - if I do the full journey.

But there is time for me to fully review and modify any aspect if that is warranted.

I will visit this topic from time to time to read your further valued contributions and to respond to you all.

There are too many contributors to mention and thank by name, however I particularly acknowledge the contributions of harleyj who comes from my corner of the world.

Cheers for now.

Hi dhutch2501

If you would like to pm please do not hesitate as if there is one thing I love to talk about it is narrowboating.

Harley